360 FE 4x4 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Shanekacz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360 FE 4x4 Headers

Hey everybody,
First time posting a thread, so sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

I've read through a lot of threads and have learned a lot but I still have some question. What I'm trying to find out is who else has a 360 FE 4WD and what headers and exhaust system, if any, you guys are running.

I'm currently looking into the Hooker headers Part#6905-1HKR and the Hedman Headers Part#89126 and am having a hard time choosing. Some people have said they have to cut cross members to install them and some people don't. If you guys are running these headers how do you like them and how was the install?

Also If I were to leave them as open headers with no exhaust system would there be any down side to that? loss of power, etc.?

Lastly is anyone running a cut off so they are not open all the time?

Hoping some of you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction. Thanks

Old 04-06-2016, 08:16 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the Hedman elite headers for the Fe 4wd whatever part number that was I do not remember but they have the ball and socket flange which I like. I can also tell you they fit perfect. Only thing I had to make a new dipstick tube. I think they cost around $550 if I recall.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 PM
belshe92
Elder User
open headers are fine if you like noise ordinance tickets and hearing loss, these are the headers i was going to run before i decided to do a cummins swap they are good and beefy so you shouldn't ever have problems with them .1975 FORD F 250 Hedman Elite Heavy-Duty Headers 89830 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing as for exhaust something like this could work just supply your own mufflers 1975 FORD F 250 Hooker Competition Header-Back Exhaust Systems 16562HKR - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanekacz
Hey everybody,
First time posting a thread, so sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

I've read through a lot of threads and have learned a lot but I still have some question. What I'm trying to find out is who else has a 360 FE 4WD and what headers and exhaust system, if any, you guys are running.

I'm currently looking into the Hooker headers Part#6905-1HKR and the Hedman Headers Part#89126 and am having a hard time choosing. Some people have said they have to cut cross members to install them and some people don't. If you guys are running these headers how do you like them and how was the install?

Also If I were to leave them as open headers with no exhaust system would there be any down side to that? loss of power, etc.?

Lastly is anyone running a cut off so they are not open all the time?

Hoping some of you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction. Thanks
Consider Sanderson mid-length headers...the PN is FF427. Sanderson is based out of South San Francisco.... and if you order it from their booth at GoodGuys show and shines, you may be able to talk them into a $75 discount and having them delivered to your home or office like I did... ceramic coated is worth it.

Downside to running open headers? Yeah, finding a brick on your floor pan from someone throwing it through your door glass.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:01 AM
Zemmeron
Freshman User
I bought the hedman headers for my fe (#89126) and I gotta say they're well worth the money. They seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than a lot of other headers at least when I was in the market for them a couple years ago. Overtime I would say they hold up great I haven't had any issues with them. No issues with install unless you break a bolt or 3 like I did (don't forget the heat).

Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Shanekacz
Freshman User
That’s great that they fit perfectly PA74F250! Why did you have to make a new dipstick tube tho? Yeah the link belshe92 posted has them at $529.97. What’s the major difference between the Elite and the standard though? or why did you guys choose the Elite?

Thank you for the links belshe92. I’m hoping later down the line I will do a Cummins swap but don’t have the time or money for that yet.

HIO Silver I like that the Sanderson's don’t need a gasket and they are similar in price but what do the mid-length headers do differently besides being shorter?

Zemmeron thanks for your input I think that’s one of the main things I'm worried about. I’m hoping I don’t break any bolts but I know it will probably happen.

Have you guys had any issues with the started being too close to the new headers and burning out? I read in another thread that people have had that problem and that they have switched to a 60s or something mustang starter because it’s shorter than our stock one.

Also all my neighbors i've known for years so I don't think I'll get a brick through my window but I definitely don't want to get a ticket either.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 PM
belshe92
Elder User
That’s great that they fit perfectly PA74F250! Why did you have to make a new dipstick tube tho? Yeah the link belshe92 posted has them at $529.97. What’s the major difference between the Elite and the standard though? or why did you guys choose the Elite?

Thank you for the links belshe92. I’m hoping later down the line I will do a Cummins swap but don’t have the time or money for that yet.

HIO Silver I like that the Sanderson's don’t need a gasket and they are similar in price but what do the mid-length headers do differently besides being shorter?

Zemmeron thanks for your input I think that’s one of the main things I'm worried about. I’m hoping I don’t break any bolts but I know it will probably happen.

Have you guys had any issues with the started being too close to the new headers and burning out? I read in another thread that people have had that problem and that they have switched to a 60s or something mustang starter because it’s shorter than our stock one.

Also all my neighbors i've known for years so I don't think I'll get a brick through my window but I definitely don't want to get a ticket either.

the reason for the elites is they are thicker material throughout 14ga tubes versus 18ga and 3/8 thick flanges versus 1/4 on the regulars. and for a starter just swap it for a mini high torque and no more heat problems but ten again thats why i suggested ceramic coated headers it keeps things lots cooler

Old 04-07-2016, 11:02 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Add the cost of a mini starter with long tubes. Don't need to do that with the Sandersons.

Midlengths lose a bit of HP and tq on the top end. However 4x4s typically don't require high rpm use. Save yourself the headaches associated with long tube and the cost of a ministarter.

Go FF427 and be done with it.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
belshe92
Elder User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Add the cost of a mini starter with long tubes. Don't need to do that with the Sandersons.

Midlengths lose a bit of HP and tq on the top end. However 4x4s typically don't require high rpm use. Save yourself the headaches associated with long tube and the cost of a ministarter.

Go FF427 and be done with it.
realistically long tubes overheating the starter is kinda moot with the ceramic coating and heavy gauge tubes. also if it looks like it might be an issue they have starter heat shields/ heat shield material. also last i looked if you do some shopping the cost of the mini isn't that much worse than a quality gigantor one, plus the benefits of quicker starts longer service life ect ect but either set of headers is a good choice.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:14 AM
Shanekacz
Freshman User
belshe92 Either way I was going to go for ceramic coated headers I just wanted to clear up some questions I had before I chose something.

HIO Silver do you have any videos of what they sound like? I've looked on YouTube but haven't found them for our truck. Also are you running a certain exhaust system off your Sandersons like a specific muffler or anything?

You guys have been very helpful I really appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 AM
mattireye
New User
I think they cost around $550 if I recall.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 AM
Shanekacz
Freshman User
mattireye what costs around $550? headers?

Did you just copy the end of PA74F250's post and add a smiley face to it?

Old 04-08-2016, 03:07 AM
belshe92
Elder User
FORD 6.4L/390 FORD BIG BLOCK FE Starters - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

here's the page for starters to give you an idea the mini from summit is only $10 more than the oem style from powermaster

Old 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Shanekacz
Freshman User
Thank you.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 AM
belshe92
Elder User
Thank you.
not a problem