6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Cruising for a Bruising

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Cruising for a Bruising

Anyone seen this? Put my truck on Cruise Control and just sit back and what the MPG tick down, down, down. In all the years I have owned cars and used CC on long trips my mpg has always gone up....Even my '11 F 350 dually improved under CC, but not my '15 dually.

I generally cruise at between 62-72 mph depending upon the speed limit. I like to stay right below posted.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No difference on my '15, cruise control or right foot (intelligently applied).

Old 04-05-2016, 06:05 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been driving about 34 years and have used cruise control maybe twice. Never liked it. Were you going through a regen possibly?

Old 04-05-2016, 06:40 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I've seen this happen when the regen cycle starts.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
REGEN Well this brings up another question. Rarely do I see "REGEN" appear on the dash and when it does it last no more than 15 secs max.

Should the REGEN display as long as the cycle? How often does it REGEN, my '11 did it often and when it did the mpg dropped out the bottom.?

I doubt if I have seen the REGEN more than 20 times in over a year of mostly highway driving...what is 'normal'???

Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
I see the regen indication for only a few seconds at the beginning of the cycle. On a 2500 mile trip I saw the indicator twice but used 5 gal of def. so there are lots of times there will be no indication other than a sudden loss of mpg.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Regen message only flashes on the screen. It does not stay lite through the entire regen. On 15's regens seam to last a average of 20 miles highway. Based on driving style, city, highway, towing etc. I read on this, regens are all over the place, from every 150 miles to 500 miles. My 15 seams to be closer the 400 miles. But who really knows. Some claim that Ford programed to trip at 500 miles.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Ford finally made it so you can see DPF percentage on the screen, but you get to kiss up to the Ford service tech with the computer to add it.

Would be nice for a orange R to appear on the gigantic instrument cluster somewhere telling you a regen was in progress or something like that.

But very normal for a 5 second, regen is happening screen and then you never know again, unless you are using TorquePro or Edge CTS or other monitor.

My mileage sucks whether I am babying it, driving it, or on cruise... or at least I am told it sucks. It gets what it gets...

Old 04-05-2016, 09:15 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Good info, thanks to all...that said what really drives the REGEN? Miles?, speed/miles, some sensor in the exhaust system>>>

Can it fail? If it affects mpg then would longer/shorter cycles be impacted. Can it do a regen when its not needed?

Point I am at is if its this important I should know what is going on to an extent or will the 'puter flash a error code that says too many/not enough?

Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
17 OAK In RED

that said what really drives the REGEN? Miles?, speed/miles, some sensor in the exhaust system>>> Yes.

Can it fail? Not so much Fail, but stopped early. Put the Truck in Park while a regen is running. If still needed based on some magical formula, it will restart next time you start driving. If it affects mpg then would longer/shorter cycles be impacted. Can it do a regen when its not needed? Some say yes. Just that magical formula again.

Point I am at is if its this important I should know what is going on to an extent or will the 'puter flash a error code that says too many/not enough?
To many incomplete regens get you a orange box on the dash, "Drive to Clean Exhaust" When complete, a message will appear done! Don't drive to complete, and you will be seeing your dealer soon!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The regeneration of the particulate filter happens when 1, back pressure reaches a certain value, 2, period of miles/hours pass and computer starts a regen irregardless of the back pressure value.

There may be more to it but these are the primary I'd imagine.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:44 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by pjcinmi
17 OAK In RED

that said what really drives the REGEN? Miles?, speed/miles, some sensor in the exhaust system>>> Yes.

Can it fail? Not so much Fail, but stopped early. Put the Truck in Park while a regen is running. If still needed based on some magical formula, it will restart next time you start driving. If it affects mpg then would longer/shorter cycles be impacted. Can it do a regen when its not needed? Some say yes. Just that magical formula again.

To many incomplete regens get you a orange box on the dash, "Drive to Clean Exhaust" When complete, a message will appear done! Don't drive to complete, and you will be seeing your dealer soon!

Originally Posted by ruschejj
The regeneration of the particulate filter happens when 1, back pressure reaches a certain value, 2, period of miles/hours pass and computer starts a regen irregardless of the back pressure value.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info, just one more reason why this forum and its people is one of the best I have been on since I got on forums in the late 70's...

Old 04-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj

3. When your truck feels like it.

4. If you have an xlt with a push to regeneration button or programmer that can do it.

Just to add some humor.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,611 Likes on 739 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
I see the regen indication for only a few seconds at the beginning of the cycle. On a 2500 mile trip I saw the indicator twice but used 5 gal of def. so there are lots of times there will be no indication other than a sudden loss of mpg.
Regen and DEF consumption are not tied together. Regen deals with soot particulates collecting in the DPF. DEF cleans the NO2 out of the exhaust in the SCR portion of your exhaust Two different and separate emissions that happen to be housed sequentially in your exhaust

Old 04-06-2016, 12:43 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Regen and DEF consumption are not tied together. Regen deals with soot particulates collecting in the DPF. DEF cleans the NO2 out of the exhaust in the SCR portion of your exhaust Two different and separate emissions that happen to be housed sequentially in your exhaust
You are correct. According to the article I read it can regen as soon as 300 miles.

Quick Reply: Cruising for a Bruising