1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

weird hood hinge question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
weird hood hinge question

Guys, I am trying to get this truck through registration and the rego guy says he doesn't like the way the hinges are bolted to the hood. He won't elaborate any further, just says they mount poorly.
So I got to thinking...do the bolts have spacers between the hood bolt and the hood spring arms to take the flex out of the hood?
Tanks!
Peter

Old 04-05-2016, 10:18 AM
jonf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the "rego guy" ?

Old 04-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Originally Posted by jonf
What is the "rego guy" ?
It's antipodean for registration department official/gentleman/jobsworth.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 AM
76-5.0
Senior User
Does it have the correct hood hinge bolts?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock hinge arms are bolted to the hood with shoulder bolts that, when tightened, leave a little space between the arms and the hood. A flex washer is used to absorb any "slop" caused by this little space. I, personally, do not see what a "rego" person would find to object to, even if these flex washers were missing. He might be concerned that the hood bolts might loosen and fall out while the vehicle is on the road. Properly installed, there is supposed to be a single wire that threads through holes on the heads of both the bolts. This wire prevents the bolts from coming undone. I can imagine that it might be a safety concern if that wire was missing.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:50 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
This isn't a "hood hinge question" it's a WTF is wrong with the bureaucracy in OZ.
"the rego guy says he doesn't like the way the hinges are bolted to the hood. He won't elaborate any further, just says they mount poorly."
I would thank him for his OPINION and ask what he thought would be an appropriate resolution...if he doesn't elaborate then it's time to talk to his superior. Unless your truck has had some "inappropriate" mods done to the stock mounting configuration then there should be no problem...this configuration has been working for more than 5 decades on hundreds of thousands of vehicles without benefit of a bureaucrat's opinion. Jeeesh.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Thanks for your responses, guys, and I totally and utterly agree with you Charlie.
This guy is giving me one hell of a time. I told him they were factory fitted like this but he has ignored me. It has the proper hood bolts fitted with a split pin locking them in, and their is a gap there between hinge and bolt, but the hood doesn't appear to be that wonky that it creates a concern. It goes up and down and locks into place nicely. I don't get it. This is the same guy who is telling me the bed bolts are different in places and should be the same.
The same guy who pulls a wheel nut off and says it's different from the others...well it's a lock nut. Jeez!
The sane guy who tells me finally after two attempts at getting a blue slip, the reason he doesn't like my wipers is because there is no marking on the **** or identification to advise that the switch is for wipers.
The same guy who gets up me because I still haven't got an engine number stamped on the engine even though I have to get him to defect the car, issue a defect notice so that I can take it to the transport department and get it stamped and then bring it back.

And so it goes....

Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What a drag, it sounds like he (the rego guy) needs someone to pray for him. In the meantime, is there a different DMV inspection station that you could go to. It seems as there is just no pleasing this guy, maybe he's a die hard Chevy guy, or he's just miserable. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2016, 02:53 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you have to install one like this to make the guy happy .

Old 04-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Not to complain or be negative! But really?!? I'm sorry but this is what happens when you give little people big power!!!!! My rant for the day!!!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Oh, man, I won't show him that, Dave. Might give him some ideas!

I think you are right, Jim. A dreaded bow tie man. Heheh...

Old 04-05-2016, 03:22 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
Did the *****r count the needle bearings in your U-joints?

Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
tiger100
Mountain Pass
Bluey,
Those 'Gong rego blokes have always been, err, special!
Years ago they used to give us grief over modified m/cycles (choppers).
If there's a gap under the bolt heads put a thin washer on 'em, and lockwire the bolts.
Take a picture from the manual with you, so he can see that it is the way Henry made 'em. He'd probably argue with that too! The lunatics are running the asylum!
Good luck with it.....
Geoff.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:12 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Oh the stories I could tell. Bottom line, go over his head. Look up your state laws regarding each situation, ensure you are compliant, then try again. If you still get grief, go inside and talk with the sup.
Here's a little "dote" for ya. I had a Toyota 4X4 with spots on the roll bar and off road lights on the crash bar. The law said the off road lights, because of their position, had to be covered unless in use. I went through the inspection lane and the young man says he has to fail me because of the spots above the roof. I asked why and he said they had to be covered. I handed him a copy of the state code, asking him to show me the law he was enforcing. He asked if I was LEO. I said yes. He then said, "Oh, well, go ahead then, don't worry about it". My response was something like, No, pass it because it's right, not because of my job".
A little extra, when I took the F1 through the young man went to stand in front of the truck and asked me for the right turn signal I stuck my arm out the window in an upward L shape. He said, no sir, right turn signal. I did it again. About that time an older guy, also an inspector, came running up shouting that I didn't need them. Some times, it can be fun!!

Old 04-05-2016, 06:39 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, what a headache! Does he ever take time off? Maybe find out when he takes his vacation and then go back. What a jerk! Good luck with it, never fun dealing with bureaucrats that have a small whatever!!!

Quick Reply: weird hood hinge question