Sponsored by: Moser

weatherstripping replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:32 PM
sigtauenus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After repainting my cab (whole truck is in the works, fenders and hood and under the gun right now), I installed all new rubber weatherstripping. Yes, every single piece.

I had thought the vent window was a pain in the butt, but after doing the windshield tonight, I have to say that was the hardest. Now that its all done, and the little tricks are figured out, I have no doubt I could do it again in half the time.

Back window took about 30-45 minutes. With the window laid out flat, I cleaned the glass real good and then put the rubber all the way around the glass. I then put a bead of 3M bedding and glazing compound all the way around it in the channel that the metal pinch weld goes into. I then took some 550 cord, any strong string or cord should work, and tucked it in to the same lip all the way around, with about a foot of overlap at the bottom. I set the glass in place from the back and had my wife hold it there. I jumped inside and started pulling the cord, working my way across both sides on the bottom. As you pull on the cord, the rubber lip pulls through to the inside. After the bottom is done, go back through and push the rubber down on the pinch weld and have your wife or buddy push on the glass from the outside. Then do each side the same way, and then finish with the top. Some of the goopy stuff will inevitably get all over, and it actually wipes up ok with just a dry paper towel. Lacquer thinner works well to soften it to wipe up easier, but be carefull around the paint. Go back over it several times pushing in on the glass from the outside to seat it and on the inside pushing the rubber down onto the pinchweld.

I've seen on here before recommendations to pay somebody to do the windshield, but if you're a regular wrench turner and not afraid to give it a try, its very doable. It took me probably about an hour and a half to do the windshield, and that because I was by myself the first hour or so, after the wife came out to help (with a flashlight) it went a lot faster. Plenty of light and a helper or two would make it a 30-45 minute job.

Vent windows took about an hour for the left side, then 30 minutes for the right. It has a lip that you have to push down into the channel all the way around, took some time to figure out the easiest way to push it in. Ended up using a scribe. Once the rubber is in all the way around the inner channel, the glass drops right in, reattach the 4 screws on the top and the nut and washers on the bottom.

The old window channel rubber pretty much fell out, but it too has a lip that hold it in. I got the kit from, ahem, the evil place, and the lip did not hold the rubber in the channel. I had to use weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place.

The pieces that snap in on the bottom of the window opening on both sides snapped right in, but needs to be done with the window dropped down below where they snap in at.

As for the door window installation, I found that with everything out, the easiest way to put it back was to put the window glass in first and slide it down and rest in in the bottom of the door. Then put the vent window assembly in and put in the 3 screws at the top. There is a bolt that hold the lower channel in place, leave that out for now. put in the channel rubber and hold it in place with some tape for now. The rubber will stay in the lower metal channel without adhesive (the piece that goes almost against the door latch and has two bolts. Leave that piece hanging loose for now as well. Snap in the two pieces of rubber on either side of the bottom of the window opening. Now comes the tricky part. You need to get the window glass lined up on the roller and in both channels, and it is not easy the first time. First thing to do is put the roller for the window crank in the groove at the bottom of the glass. Have the window cranked all the way down and slide the glass forward or back in the door to put the roller in and then center it back up. Wiggle the glass into the channels on both sides and then put in the bolts that you left out earlier. Crank the window up and down a couple times to check to make sure everything is seated, and then tighten the bolts. Roll the window back down and remove the tape holding in the channel. If it is made right, it should be held in by the inner lip on the rubber. If it was not made right, like mine was, then you need to put some weatherstrip adhesive in the metal channel and push the rubber back in. As you push the rubber back in, roll up window to hold it in place. Once you get about 3/4-7/8 up, lay the rubber over the window and push it in place as you roll the window up the rest of the way. Make sure the outer lip is even all the way around and then crank the window tight and let the adhesive set up.

Didn't take many pictures along the way, but will try to get some in my gallery here soon. Can pictures be inserted directly into posts on this forum with html?

Last edited by sigtauenus; 08-12-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Pictures should go in a hidden gallery, then you link to them in your posts.