2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Ford Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Dave6.7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Ford Super Duty

Me, and more & more people I talk to about the 2017 Super Duty, all dislike the looks of the front. All say they now look like GM or Chevy trucks in front. Nor do they like the square shape of the rear fenders on the dually's, unlike the round graceful look of the older models, again, more like chevy trucks. and 7 cameras, we have trouble now in lots of car wrecks on the highway with people looking at cell phone, or texting while driving. Two cameras are all that is needed, one for hooking up conventional trailers, another for hooking up gooseneck, that's all. Might as well go with infrared up front as well, like the military, so you can see around corners at nite. What idiot came up with this idea.?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:56 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Well there's another pearl of anonymous wisdom from a one-post wonder.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 PM
ripstertx
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dave6.7
Me, and more & more people I talk to about the 2017 Super Duty, all dislike the looks of the front. All say they now look like GM or Chevy trucks in front. Nor do they like the square shape of the rear fenders on the dually's, unlike the round graceful look of the older models, again, more like chevy trucks. and 7 cameras, we have trouble now in lots of car wrecks on the highway with people looking at cell phone, or texting while driving. Two cameras are all that is needed, one for hooking up conventional trailers, another for hooking up gooseneck, that's all. Might as well go with infrared up front as well, like the military, so you can see around corners at nite. What idiot came up with this idea.?
I have a F450, truck camper and 28ft enclosed trailer, I use a wireless camera for the trailer hitch since I can't see through the camper in the bed. I would love to have a camera for the rear of the trailer and a camera on each side of the front of the trailer for backing up in those tight spots. I don't need them while I'm driving but I would love to have them when I'm backing up.

The camper blocks just about all of your vision to the rear so there is a lot of stopping, getting out to make sure of your clearances, etc., especially when you are forced to back into a spot and from an angle. I think some people, especially those hauling something with any length (I'm approx 53 ft long) would be just fine with the extra cameras.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have run vehicles since the 1960's and I fully welcome the new cameras. Back when connecting, maneuvering and driving tractor trailers (Including full length doubles) I can only imagine the number of trips to the back of the trailer might have been saved with a wireless camera. That being said, the cameras are and aid, a nicety and a convenience. They should not be a crutch or a replacement for the ability to fully operate and control the vehicle. Have you ever watched an employee try to make change when the electronic cash register fails? Technology and advancement is great, I welcome it, and hope the choices in design are truly worth it, lest the innovation should meet an early demise. Maybe we should all go back to pagers and pay phones (and in their day the pagers were hated and deemed un-necessary)... Who needs these fancy portable phones anyway?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 AM
ripstertx
Junior User
completely agree with your statement, "the cameras are and aid, a nicety and a convenience. They should not be a crutch or a replacement for the ability to fully operate and control the vehicle." -- when one let's technology take the place of a skill, then you have to worry about what will happen when the technology they've become dependent on fails, has a crash or reset.

There is no replacement for having the skill set to operate the vehicle you're driving. But it is nice to have a visual aid to help you maneuver in reverse, when the space is limited and the line of sight is non-existent.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:09 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Curmudgeon alert!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Vole
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave6.7
I absolutely love the 7 cameras, the F150 cab and the new look as well. :P

Old 04-02-2016, 11:42 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Why draw the line where he did? Two cameras are great, but seven, now that's jstu TOO much progress. Can't have none of that incremental increase in technology, 2016 is the LAST time we should ever add anything right?

I disagree, 2016 is way too modern. 1947 was the pinacle year in American engineering, with all meaningful engineering advancements made by 1949. That year Truman was in the White House, and a conveyance was produced that is the epitome of streamlined aesthetics, utilitarian function, and nary a wasted horsepower was to be found.

All cameras are unnecessary. So is fuel injection. Seatbelts. Glass. Even the cushion on the seat is removable so I can sit my manly overall-clothed **** on the bare metal of 'Murican toughness. I drive a real vehicle that takes skill to handle and back up with, and is so manly is doesn't even have synchronized shifting. I have separate wheel brakes in case I need to turn tighter. The only upgrade I will EVER say is required is to convert from 6V to 12V because that magneto idea was just plain pre-WWII bull****. We didn't kidney punch the ***** to have to deal with anything from before the Depression. The 6.0 it is the direct descendant of the best invention ever, which is still running strong after 67 years:

Old 04-02-2016, 12:09 PM
ripstertx
Junior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Why draw the line where he did? Two cameras are great, but seven, now that's jstu TOO much progress. Can't have none of that incremental increase in technology, 2016 is the LAST time we should ever add anything right?

I disagree, 2016 is way too modern. 1947 was the pinacle year in American engineering, with all meaningful engineering advancements made by 1949. That year Truman was in the White House, and a conveyance was produced that is the epitome of streamlined aesthetics, utilitarian function, and nary a wasted horsepower was to be found.

All cameras are unnecessary. So is fuel injection. Seatbelts. Glass. Even the cushion on the seat is removable so I can sit my manly overall-clothed **** on the bare metal of 'Murican toughness. I drive a real vehicle that takes skill to handle and back up with, and is so manly is doesn't even have synchronized shifting. I have separate wheel brakes in case I need to turn tighter. The only upgrade I will EVER say is required is to convert from 6V to 12V because that magneto idea was just plain pre-WWII bull****. We didn't kidney punch the ***** to have to deal with anything from before the Depression. The 6.0 it is the direct descendant of the best invention ever, which is still running strong after 67 years:

I get it, you're unhappy because you got the SuperCab and not the crew...well that and Lubbock...

Signed the Happy Texan

Old 04-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I like the way the new vehicles are looking these days. I realize that it's an individual taste. I welcome the better headlights, the use of LEDs, what I hope is a better material (military grade aluminum), cameras. Heck I want a front camera as I can't see the front bumper and half the time don't pull up far enough. Although I usually back in to a parking spot so I know I can get out of it. 7 Cameras and one that you can slap on the back of a trailer -- sign me up...

Adaptive Cruise control.. yep. Heated steering wheel and all seats... YUP. That's for me.

I don't miss my first car that was a stick shift (well, that part I miss), 58 HP, carb'd, manual brakes, steering, locks, windows. Lucky it had AC that almost stalled the car when you turned it on. 0-60 time you measured with a calendar.

BUT for the benefit of those that want a stripper model -- Ford makes the XL trim for you.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:59 AM
F250-2
New User
Pretty simple solution to Dave6.7 's heartburn - don't buy one !! I really like the looks of the 2017, and will probably pass on the great clearance offers on the 2016 and buy the 2017.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
A funny thing happened to me yesterday, while I was staring at the 2017 pics again..... After disliking the font grill for months....I suddenly started liking it...idk why.. lol. Maybe cause we can't order 16's anymore? lmao