1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2014 E250 speedometer issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Cam131313
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E250 speedometer issues

Hey guys I'm new to this site and will make my introduction in a different thread, but I looked around the site and can't see the same issue anywhere. I have had my 2014 E250 for 2-3 weeks now at just under 70,000kms. Since then I've had my speedometer act up once before today but it fixed itself....today it acted up but longer ànd actually stopped at the 20km/h mark when fully stopped and moved up 20-30km/h faster than what I was actually doing...thankfully I now have a speedometer app on my phone but I need to get it fixed....now I talked with my local mechanic and he said "sounds like a speedometer controller issue" but he's not sure...called a couple ford dealerships in the city but they want to run a diagnostic test for $129...my mechanic will run the diagnostic hopefully for cheaper. But anyone got any ideas? I'm not good when it comes to vehicle computers. No one seems to have had this issue as far as I've seen.

Cam

Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 AM
delgriffith
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, just out of warranty. My suspicion is the cluster. Wheel speed sensors report the wheel speed to the PCM and the PCM then figures the speed and puts it out on the CAN bus where the cluster picks it up. If the PCM were figuring speed inaccurately, you'd have a bunch of issues. Probably have an ABS / traction control light on, might have drive-ability issues. A single bad wheel speed sensor won't throw the PCM off, it's pretty smart about that. So yeah, gotta figure your instrument cluster is the issue. If you plug in a scanner and set it to watch speed on the scanner as you drive, if it shows a nice consistent number that seems accurate meanwhile your speedo is all over the place then you've got it down to the cluster.

There are instrument shops that can sometimes fix these problems. That might be your best bet. Ford dealers want a king's ransom for new clusters and programming thereof. If you don't have a local instrument shop, the one in my area is D&D instruments. Auto Gauge Cluster Repair Service | Instrument Cluster Replacement GM, Ford, Chevy, Dash & Audi - D & D Instruments

I've mailed clusters to them and got them back within a week.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Cam131313
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delgriffith
Ah, just out of warranty. My suspicion is the cluster. Wheel speed sensors report the wheel speed to the PCM and the PCM then figures the speed and puts it out on the CAN bus where the cluster picks it up. If the PCM were figuring speed inaccurately, you'd have a bunch of issues. Probably have an ABS / traction control light on, might have drive-ability issues. A single bad wheel speed sensor won't throw the PCM off, it's pretty smart about that. So yeah, gotta figure your instrument cluster is the issue. If you plug in a scanner and set it to watch speed on the scanner as you drive, if it shows a nice consistent number that seems accurate meanwhile your speedo is all over the place then you've got it down to the cluster.

There are instrument shops that can sometimes fix these problems. That might be your best bet. Ford dealers want a king's ransom for new clusters and programming thereof. If you don't have a local instrument shop, the one in my area is D&D instruments. Auto Gauge Cluster Repair Service | Instrument Cluster Replacement GM, Ford, Chevy, Dash & Audi - D & D Instruments

I've mailed clusters to them and got them back within a week.
Thanks dude...I don't have a scanner but it has happened only twice and not overly concerned but if it keeps happening throughout the year next year I will buy a remanufactured gauge cluster from that website. Thanks again

Old 03-31-2016, 05:05 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Feel free to call us if you would like to send the cluster in for a free analysis. We have repaired the 2011+ clusters for other issues, but we haven't seen many problems with the speedometer yet. If there's something wrong with it, we can take care if it though. If you decide to just purchase a replacement cluster to eliminate any downtime, we can sell you a fully programmed cluster with your mileage and engine hours programmed as well. Just call us at 800-547-2049 to discuss all of the options. I look forward to serving you.

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.