6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No Start Below 55 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM
papatioman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start Below 55 Degrees

Hello All.....brand new here......

Looks like this subject matter has been beat to death on here but at lower temperatures so here goes.
Just purchased a 2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab w/ 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel w/ 192,000 miles. This truck will be used exclusively for pulling my 36', 8,000lbs travel trailer. I have a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost as my daily driver. The 2003 was purchased from a used dealer in Texas and is in immaculate condition and was definitely not a work truck. It was a 55 degree day and the truck was inside their building when I picked it up. No starting issues then and drove it the 3 hour 70-75mph trip home, with 2 stops on the way (wife was along) with no issues. Started quick and ran like a champ. The next morning it was 32 degrees outside and it would not start. I cycled the key on & off several times prior to starting and still no start. Plugged the heater in and 1 hour later it fired up. I have noticed since that if the outdoor temperature is below 55 degrees, it will not start without being plugged in. When plugged in, it starts easy, no smoke, purrs like a tiger at idle and runs great. I Have started on a mental list of things to check.....here goes:

1. The dealer stated he just changed the oil & filter. Can't rely on this 100 percent so I plan to put new 15W40 oil and filter in. Oklahoma summers are pretty warm.
2. Check the FICM for 48 voltage output.
3. The glow plug indicator on the dash is working. The colder it is outside, the longer it stays on. If the indicator is working, is this an indicator that the glow plug relay is working? Anyway....plan to check this relay.
4. Pull one or two glow plugs, ones easy to get to, to verify their function.
5. Check both batteries....I assume they will have to be disconnected from one another before doing this.

I have been working on gasoline engines for 40 years and no stranger to busted knuckles & dirty fingernails.....just new to diesel engines. I am impressed however with their construction and method of operating.

Any other areas I need to check?....................thanks a bunch.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM
TooHuge
Senior User
Yep. Battery voltage, FICM voltage, fuel filters. That's where I would start. Maybe try a friction modifier in the oil if it still starts hard after that. Could try some injector cleaner in the fuel too.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
papatioman
Freshman User
Will change out fuel filters so I know what I have. Injector cleaner was on my mental list....forgot to write it down. Will get some oil additive as well.

Thanks......!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Archoil 9100 is great for injector stiction.
Do your engine a favor and switch to a diesel rated 5W40 synthetic like Shell Rotella T6 or Delo

Should not need engine heat at those temps, many don't plug them in until it's below 0*. I plug mine in when it gets below 20 at night, anything above that and she is still 40* from the day before on the oil side.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM
TooHuge
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Archoil 9100 is great for injector stiction.
Do your engine a favor and switch to a diesel rated 5W40 synthetic.
+1 on the archoil. I ran a jug of that in one oil change last winter and my truck is still starting smoother.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 AM
papatioman
Freshman User
I am reading that diesels are finicky about the oil that is dumped into them. I believe I also read that the oil comes into play with the operation of the injectors. Will have to read up on that......I'm an old gasoline guy. Will get the recommended additive for the injectors and change the oil to a synthetic 5W40 oil. I believe Ebay had a good price on it. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+2 on the Archoil. It, and everything else, actually, we carry on our site.

Archoil is available from us at AR9100 Friction Modifier.

That said, I think it likely that your issue is related to the FICM. For a how-to on checking it out, see:
17. Can I test my FICM to ensure that it is the culprit?

Of course, you can also use a gauge connected to your OBDII port. Some common options are:

ScanGaugeII

and the more expensive (sigh), but nicer:

INSIGHT CTS2

Hope this helps! If you need more assistance and would like to visit, please feel free to call us at 515-897-4459.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:46 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by papatioman
I am reading that diesels are finicky about the oil that is dumped into them. I believe I also read that the oil comes into play with the operation of the injectors. Will have to read up on that......I'm an old gasoline guy. Will get the recommended additive for the injectors and change the oil to a synthetic 5W40 oil. I believe Ebay had a good price on it. Thanks a bunch everyone!
What ever additive you use in the fuel, make sure that it contains no alcohol. I personally don't believe in additives. I believe that they usually just mask the base problem instead of correcting it.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 AM
TooHuge
Senior User
Only diesels with hydraulic HEUI injectors. That's why stiction can be an issue with the 6.0. Common rail diesels will not be as picky. You'll be a seasoned diesel guy in no time with a 6.0

Old 03-24-2016, 11:51 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts
The next morning it was 32 degrees outside and it would not start.
I had a long/hard start when cold, it was the ICP sensor. Showed up on a scanner as ICP_V staying at essentially nil for 5-10 seconds and when it jumped the truck finally started. Replaced ICP sensor and no more issue. You truck being an '03 with almost 200k an ICP sensor would not be unreasonable to replace now, at least that way you know it's new since it's a pain to get to on your year.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:53 PM
papatioman
Freshman User
$100.00 oil change today.....Rotella 5W40 and Fram filter. Dropped a bottle of injector additive in her as well. Went for a 60 mile drive at 70mph.
Also checked the FICM output voltage today. 12.5V @ key on and 13.2V running.....bet I know where my problem is........

Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 PM
papatioman
Freshman User
Well crap.....just learned that there is a 4 screw model and a 7 screw model of FICM. The 4 screw model is tested on the farthest screw to the right and the 7 screw model is tested on the farthest screw to the left of the row that has 4 screws. I tested the wrong screw.......Will retest tomorrow. Thought my voltage reading was extremely low......

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure she would even run with that low a reading!

Just an FYI on the Fram, you would get better filtering from a roll of TP unless one can verify it's made by Racor or Parker, I would not bother with one to save a few bucks.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM
papatioman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Not sure she would even run with that low a reading!

Just an FYI on the Fram, you would get better filtering from a roll of TP unless one can verify it's made by Racor or Parker, I would not bother with one to save a few bucks.
I was scratching my head on that too until I learned I had tested it wrong. Looks like the reading I was getting was the input voltage to the FICM. Recommendations on an oil filter brand?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 PM
TooHuge
Senior User
$100.00 oil change today.....Rotella 5W40 and Fram filter. Dropped a bottle of injector additive in her as well. Went for a 60 mile drive at 70mph.
Also checked the FICM output voltage today. 12.5V @ key on and 13.2V running.....bet I know where my problem is........
The ficm output should be 45-48 volts. And I would suggest using a motorcraft oil filter and cap.

Quick Reply: No Start Below 55 Degrees