Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much power.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:26 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Too much power.

I don't know about anybody else but after pulling the 5th wheel around I have to keep an eye on the speed getting above 70 is way to easy if not paying attention.

This 6.7 power is outstanding and the engine brake isn't to shabby on the down side of the mountain.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.
I've only towed about 5 or 6 times with mine but I always use the cruise control. It rarely, if ever, shifts down to 5th gear. If I see a substantial grade I hit the brakes and ease into the throttle to keep up speed. I only run between 62-65 to keep it safe and the fuel mileage up. I think it would do 100mph no problem.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
I don't know about anybody else but after pulling the 5th wheel around I have to keep an eye on the speed getting above 70 is way to easy if not paying attention.

This 6.7 power is outstanding and the engine brake isn't to shabby on the down side of the mountain.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:21 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post

Around here, many FTE members attempt to solve this problem by returning to their RV dealer and buying a longer, heavier trailer. Triple axle rigs that almost can't fit into a picture when hooked to their 6.7L trucks.

Bruce

Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Around here, many FTE members attempt to solve this problem by returning to their RV dealer and buying a longer, heavier trailer. Triple axle rigs that almost can't fit into a picture when hooked to their 6.7L trucks.

Bruce
I would hate to see the 5th wheel that equals the towing power of these trucks. I assume it would have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Seriously though, I'm sure there is one out there that might force the 6.7L to shift down to 4th on a 6% grade.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:43 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I tried to rep you Bruce, great comment.

When I accelerate from a stop there are times that I back off the throttle because all that pull stress on the hitch and kingpin kind of makes me twitchy. If we go full throttle just try to imagine what the forces are on that area!?!? Especially when the turbo kicks in and the "rush" hits.

Towing with these diesels is just a pleasure, hands down. I would think it would be equally nice with the other brands too, but dang, the SD is one darn fine tow vehicle. It's why I have one.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:12 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by tracyclifton View Post
I would hate to see the 5th wheel that equals the towing power of these trucks. I assume it would have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Seriously though, I'm sure there is one out there that might force the 6.7L to shift down to 4th on a 6% grade.
Got the two bathrooms and it will shift to 4th and run up to about 3100 rpms.
Run that oil temp as high as 248 on a long pull.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
After years of reading the forum and the diesel sections it certainly is a pleasure/ reassurance how these 6.7s (maybe the early 11' not included) have very little problems.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
Rod Bensken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rod Bensken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I remember the first time I came up this hill near us. The old 454 was screaming and hit a top speed of 45 by the time I got to the top. The 6.7 was doing over 70 before I got up it. Power out the ole wazzu.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:25 PM
smoky_diesel
Posting Guru
smoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to behold
Wish it had more power, not enough. Once its hot, it doesn't make 400hp. Still a great truck to pull with, just need more power!

Old 03-24-2016, 04:21 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Got the two bathrooms and it will shift to 4th and run up to about 3100 rpms.
Run that oil temp as high as 248 on a long pull.
Mine has 1 1/2 baths but I haven't hit a grade that needed 4th gear. I went over Arbuckle Mountain on I35 and never shifted out of 6th. I ease up on it and let it slow down a little. On the same grade with the 6.0 I could do it at speed but it would shift down and get a little hot. The 6.7 temps stay normal. I haven't seen much in the way of grades yet but I'm pulling to FL, TN, GA, and AL this summer so I may see some 5th gear action.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
pjcinmi is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel View Post
Wish it had more power, not enough. Once its hot, it doesn't make 400hp. Still a great truck to pull with, just need more power!
That why you have to upgrade to a 2016... It's got 440hp

Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by pjcinmi View Post
That why you have to upgrade to a 2016... It's got 440hp
2017 rumor of 500hp/1000 torque...

Bruce

Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
I wish I had a De-Tune **** in mine... I could use the extra fuel mileage.
The rig is very strong though... Just at 28K total weight here and it tows like a dream...

Old 03-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Adam R
Senior User
Adam R is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Adam R is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It does have a de-tune feature. Use less skinny pedal, no real magic there. Also, just because it has 400+ hp, does not mean you have to use all of it. Seriously, it's a simple matter of physics. Going faster or running it harder is going to cost you more fuel. Put a phone book under that go pedal and you have the de-tune you are looking for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too much power.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: