Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much power.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:11 AM
tracyclifton
Elder User
tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.tracyclifton has a good reputation on FTE.
I get passed a lot while I'm towing at 62-65 on the interstate, but I don't care when I'm getting about 11 mpg roundtrip.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
It does have a de-tune feature. Use less skinny pedal, no real magic there. Also, just because it has 400+ hp, does not mean you have to use all of it. Seriously, it's a simple matter of physics. Going faster or running it harder is going to cost you more fuel. Put a phone book under that go pedal and you have the de-tune you are looking for.
If only it were that simple...
Given similar loading and driving styles - The 400 HP trucks seem to do better on fuel than the 440 trucks do. The Chassis Cab trucks do pretty doggoned good too.. It's not just a Ford thing either as you hear the same on the RAM and Duramax forums.. Bigger injectors and different camshaft and injection profiles / timing impact the power curve very early on in the working RPM range..
Take a look at the torque curve of these engines and the RPM at which peak power is developed..
Gassers are different than diesels in this and are affected in the lower RPMs to a lesser degree.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
These engines are the power kings, and I guess I don't really see the need for the continued upwards run on torque and horsepower. Marketing, I suppose. I would rather see more focus on fuel economy. Where does it end? "Hey Mack...get that Kenworth W900 out from under that 53 footer...I'll just hitch my F-350 to it and pull it with that."

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Kafn8td
Junior User
Kafn8td is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Too much horsepower is almost enough"
~Carroll Shelby

Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
"Too much horsepower is almost enough"
~Carroll Shelby
That's a silly mantra. There are several RWD sports cars (Hellcat, GT500, ZL1 Camaro) that already have too much power for their tires to handle. There is no gain to shredding tires in terms of performance. With an AWD car like the Veyron, sure, more power will help. But even that gets to a point.

I love the power the of the 6.7L. I'd just like to see a bit better mpg. I bet if these HD pickups were rated by the EPA, we'd start seeing gains.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Lawrencew is a name known to allLawrencew is a name known to allLawrencew is a name known to allLawrencew is a name known to allLawrencew is a name known to allLawrencew is a name known to all
When I brought my 1990 7.3L I thought wow why would you ever need anything more than 185hp. And it got 20 mpg. Now at 440hp and 17mpg I think back how did I ever survive. Mind you my trailer back then was 16' long

Old 03-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Kafn8td
Junior User
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
That's a silly mantra. There are several RWD sports cars (Hellcat, GT500, ZL1 Camaro) that already have too much power for their tires to handle. There is no gain to shredding tires in terms of performance. With an AWD car like the Veyron, sure, more power will help. But even that gets to a point.

I love the power the of the 6.7L. I'd just like to see a bit better mpg. I bet if these HD pickups were rated by the EPA, we'd start seeing gains.
What's silly is wanting better fuel mileage in an 8,000 lb brick.

If you know how to drive, no tire shredding needs to happen. If you're lead footed, you can shred your tires..oh and your fuel mileage also decreases.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:42 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
What's silly is wanting better fuel mileage in an 8,000 lb brick.

If you know how to drive, no tire shredding needs to happen. If you're lead footed, you can shred your tires..oh and your fuel mileage also decreases.
Silly me for wanting to reduce my cost of operating my vehicle. There are certainly ways to improve efficiency of even a heavy, large truck such as these.

The tire shredding argument wasn't related to pickups - just the ultra hot-rod muscle cars we can buy today. They have more power than they have available traction - which means they have too much power.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Kafn8td
Junior User
Silly me for wanting to have an ultra high performance car. I wasn't referring to trucks either.

Again, if you know how to drive them, they don't have more power than available traction. I can boil the tires in my Mustang Cobra in the first three gears. It runs low 11's in the 1/4 mile and has been on a twisty track or two. If I had a little more HP, it would be in the 10's. Never enough.

You obviously are not a high performance car kind of guy, which is fine, but you should study a little Ford History...Shelby...silly?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:43 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
Silly me for wanting to have an ultra high performance car. I wasn't referring to trucks either.

Again, if you know how to drive them, they don't have more power than available traction. I can boil the tires in my Mustang Cobra in the first three gears. It runs low 11's in the 1/4 mile and has been on a twisty track or two. If I had a little more HP, it would be in the 10's. Never enough.

You obviously are not a high performance car kind of guy, which is fine, but you should study a little Ford History...Shelby...silly?
Modern Porsche 911 Turbo's have long been quicker than rear drive cars that have much more power. They launch incredibly well thanks to AWD, which makes up for whatever shortage they may have on top end. If you are boiling tires in third, you have too much power. You keep touting your alleged driving skills in managing cars with too much power, lol, but to avoid spinning the tires you are obviously backing off the throttle, which means you are achieving the optimal performance run with less power.

By the way, Shelby builds basically garbage cars. They were standard Ford models (or Mopar, or even Oldsmobile when he went that way) which were fitted with larger than usual engines or engines with off-the-shelf power adders. Some Fords are labeled as Shelbys but are actually factory built. Shelby American has pretty limited engineering capacity and road testing ability compared to an OEM - they know how to overpower a car. In my opinion, putting a supercharger on a V8, cheesy snake logos everywhere, billet radiator overflow caps, a strut brace, stiffer suspension, and JC Whitney dashtop gauges surely does not make a car great. A 750hp Mustang is ridiculous, it simply cannot put the power down.

But this is going way off topic, my original intention is simply to state that for the time being, I would prefer more focus went to improving mpg, especially while towing, than increasing horsepower to tow ridiculous loads. 30k with a pickup is ridiculous.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Kafn8td
Junior User
hahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
These engines are the power kings, and I guess I don't really see the need for the continued upwards run on torque and horsepower. Marketing, I suppose. I would rather see more focus on fuel economy. Where does it end? "Hey Mack...get that Kenworth W900 out from under that 53 footer...I'll just hitch my F-350 to it and pull it with that."
While I agree that we have plenty of power, and the big 3 could stop their pissing match on these numbers, and fuel mileage could also improve, I do not think that we re going to see any great numbers in the economy department for a while........maybe just a couple MPG, which is not really going to make that much difference. But what I would personally like to see is for some manufacturer to start bragging on durability.........100,000 mile bumper to bumper, 250,000 mile powertrain warranty.........without a bunch of hassle!
Now something like THAT would definitely have my attention!
The three engines, (Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax) all make their power a little differently, but all three DO make great power. And one of them will always be the one at the top of the hill first......so what!
But.......to many, it is just the HP and TQ numbers that mean anything.
Keep on trucking, and have a great day!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Adam R
Senior User
Adam R is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Adam R is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Agree, there were a number of members compaining about a decrease in mileage when the 440 hp engines came out, but cutting performance down to 300 hp is not going to give anyone a 25+ mpg F-350 truck unless you like driving around at 45 mph. There may be some slight gains available, but if large gains where available, they would have happened by now.