Sponsored by: DP Tuner

RiffRaff FRx install troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:21 PM
SOHCNightmare
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RiffRaff FRx install troubles

First off, I want to express how helpful, fast and professional RR has been with all of my transactions with them. Everything I've gotten from them has really been some top notch stuff (HPx, Fuel injector cup tools/cups, and now the FRx) and the support is just as exceptional.

That being said, I'm having a HELL of a time routing the drivers side hose. In the instructions is says to route the lower hose under the turbo intake tube area. (I'm assuming this is the spider manifold) so once I do that, do I route the house out in front of the turbo compressor housing? (Near the HPX tube) Or continue underneath the turbo pedestal and come out underneath the compressor housing?

I'm probably just overconcerned with routing this hose to where it'll last a long time and am overthinking this. This is the only thing keeping me from starting the truck at the moment as it's been down 2 weeks due to injector cups/rebuilds.

The drivers side is a serious pain in the *** (No fault of RiffRaff) just the lack of space and how far back everthing is.

Does anyone have pictures of their drivers side hose routing? I've scoured the forum using the search function and can't find a good picture of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

-Justin

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I ran mine right along the head just above the intake manifold, pretty much a straight shot from the fuel bowl to the back corner of the head.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:15 PM
SOHCNightmare
New User
Originally Posted by cj45lc
I ran mine right along the head just above the intake manifold, pretty much a straight shot from the fuel bowl to the back corner of the head.
So you didn't go under the turbo "spider" the inlet pipes?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SOHCNightmare
So you didn't go under the turbo "spider" the inlet pipes?
Nope, not at all

Old 03-18-2016, 12:11 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Just like he mentioned, follow the head back straight from the fuel bowl along where the valve cover meets the head. No reason to go under the spider or pedestal. You are probably just ready to be done with your project and over thinking it. If you can't get it done just call Clay at Riffraff in the morning. I am sure he would be happy to talk you through it.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:37 AM
johnsps250
Tuned
I also went straight down the head on the drivers and went under the intake tube. (the one from the air filter to the turbo) if you angle the fitting in the head just right you get clearance @ the compressor housing and the hose will just kind of lay there on its own. I also put some split convoluted tubing over the hoses for extra protection from chafing.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 AM
SOHCNightmare
New User
Originally Posted by duck fan
Just like he mentioned, follow the head back straight from the fuel bowl along where the valve cover meets the head. No reason to go under the spider or pedestal. You are probably just ready to be done with your project and over thinking it. If you can't get it done just call Clay at Riffraff in the morning. I am sure he would be happy to talk you through it.
I'm more than ready for it to be finished lol. It's been a rough 2 weeks between the truck being down, then a motorcycle accident. Kneeling in the engine bay with road rash on my knee isn't the most enjoyable thing haha.

I'll try and re route the hose again tonight. Hopefully I can get it ran to where I can get the fitting on easily. Under the spider coming out between the turbo and spider just isn't working.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Route the hose along the plenum and under the turbo. Also, I am assuming you have removed the fitting from the hose and installed it into the head before you are trying to hook up the hose? If you are on the outside of the truck leaning over the fender with the intake tube removed, you will have a fairly straight shot at it!

Here are more pictures to explain.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:18 PM
SOHCNightmare
New User
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Route the hose along the plenum and under the turbo. Also, I am assuming you have removed the fitting from the hose and installed it into the head before you are trying to hook up the hose? If you are on the outside of the truck leaning over the fender with the intake tube removed, you will have a fairly straight shot at it!

Here are more pictures to explain.

Yea. The fitting is installed in the head, just fighting to get the hose routed correctly to ensure it lasts.

That's what I was looking for. I'll reroute it when I get home. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2016, 11:55 AM
SOHCNightmare
New User
FRx installed and no leaks! Thanks for all the help. My truck lives again. Now to finish getting all this diesel out of my coolant

Old 03-19-2016, 03:41 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to hear.