Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Opinions needed - Edge vs Escape

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 PM
axledragger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions needed - Edge vs Escape

Hello all, I just joined the forums. There is an impressive amount of knowledge here!

I've never owned a Ford before but have been lucky enough to be presented with a choice for company car. I sure could use some advice from all the knowledge here.

I've narrowed the choices to the following. I have to place my order within the next few days. Both vehicles are new.

2017 Escape SE - No out of pocket from me. I haven't seen one in person as it appears the 2017 is not on lots yet. 1.5L Ecoboost, automatic dual zone a/c, electric adjustment (cloth) seats, not sure which sync version. Details on it through my program are a little sketchy, frankly. I've looked at the 2016 on dealer lots, and it seems pretty nice, albeit a bit smaller compared to my current company vehicle. No idea how the 1.5L performs.

2016 Edge SE - Basic package as it comes, Cloth seats, manual adjustments, manual A/C, 2.0L Ecoboost, etc. No additional options offered through my fleet program. Not sure why it doesn't have the level of standard equipment as the Escape, but suspect because it's a 2016 and 2017 may have richer base content. Unfortunately there's no choice to wait. Pretty sure 2016 has the older sync version. Importantly, there is a $2000 out of pocket to upgrade to this from the base vehicle above.

I will have the car for 2 years. Personal usage is allowed so it's really more than just a work car. For some background, my current company car is a Chevy Equinox. To be fair it's been fairly decent both for work and personal. I use it for trips to Home Depot and have loaded it to the max with concrete, lumber, etc. Not ideal for this but it's all I've got since my other car, that I own, is a sedan (VW TDI so having fun with all of that right now!!!). So, I really like the versatility of having an SUV as my work car.

So, if presented with this choice, which way would you go and why? Obviously, $2000 is a chunk of money that I'd rather not spend. However, I'd rather spend it if the versatility (maybe safety too?) with the Edge over 2 years warrants it.

Thanks to all for any guidance you care to lend! Either way I go, I look forward to joining the ranks of Ford drivers!

Old 03-19-2016, 12:38 PM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Ford Edge and grappled with the Escape vs. Edge conundrum until I actually drove them both and then it became clear the Edge was a far superior ride.

I haven't driven a 2017 but I did drive a 2015 Escape. It drives like a small truck. An Edge drives like a smooth car. They really aren't even comparable in my opinion.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 AM
dartguy699
Senior User
I owned a 2012 edge sel for about a year but the g/f and I found the ride to be extremely stiff.i even dropped the air in the tires way down which helped but not enough. we ended up trading it off because of this. I would suggest that you drive each one and see which one that you like best.
jim

Old 03-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My wife and I are considering an Edge now, but ours would need to AWD. The Edge vs. Escape? I'd go for the Edge, but I like a bigger vehicle. I drove one of the first gen, Escapes, and did not like the way it drove at all. It felt very tippy to me, very unpredictable. That's the nature of a lot of taller SUV's with a short wheelbase, I guess. The newer ones sit lower, but are still small.
By the way, where do work that you get a company car, much less a choice of what car they give you? I want to work there!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
axledragger
New User
Originally Posted by Blue 2006 XL
My wife and I are considering an Edge now, but ours would need to AWD. The Edge vs. Escape? I'd go for the Edge, but I like a bigger vehicle. I drove one of the first gen, Escapes, and did not like the way it drove at all. It felt very tippy to me, very unpredictable. That's the nature of a lot of taller SUV's with a short wheelbase, I guess. The newer ones sit lower, but are still small.
By the way, where do work that you get a company car, much less a choice of what car they give you? I want to work there!
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Edge still. Gotta put in my order by EOW. I like the larger size as well. The Escape is better equipped through my fleet program, but to me it's not a worthwhile tradeoff in the long run. Hate to slap down the extra money out of my own pocket, but it's 2 years so I can kinda justify it in my own mind.

I work for one of the big computer manufacturers in sales. You're right, it's a nice benefit no doubt and I feel lucky. It's not without expense for me, though, as I'm required to contribute a "personal use" charge out of my check every pay period. It ends up being about $150/mo, regardless of car chosen. But, for that, insurance is covered as well as fuel for both business and personal use. Good deal. In a prior job I had to use my own car and was reimbursed for mileage. It actually probably worked out better that way, financially, but with my current job's fleet car I get to have an SUV as a 2nd car which I wouldn't otherwise have. On top of that, VW may end up buying back my TDI so I'd be down to a single car and I'd like it to be something I like.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

Old 03-24-2016, 03:21 PM
tcesni
Elder User
Originally Posted by axledragger
Hello all, I just joined the forums. There is an impressive amount of knowledge here!

I've never owned a Ford before but have been lucky enough to be presented with a choice for company car. I sure could use some advice from all the knowledge here.

I've narrowed the choices to the following. I have to place my order within the next few days. Both vehicles are new.

2017 Escape SE - No out of pocket from me. I haven't seen one in person as it appears the 2017 is not on lots yet. 1.5L Ecoboost, automatic dual zone a/c, electric adjustment (cloth) seats, not sure which sync version. Details on it through my program are a little sketchy, frankly. I've looked at the 2016 on dealer lots, and it seems pretty nice, albeit a bit smaller compared to my current company vehicle. No idea how the 1.5L performs.

2016 Edge SE - Basic package as it comes, Cloth seats, manual adjustments, manual A/C, 2.0L Ecoboost, etc. No additional options offered through my fleet program. Not sure why it doesn't have the level of standard equipment as the Escape, but suspect because it's a 2016 and 2017 may have richer base content. Unfortunately there's no choice to wait. Pretty sure 2016 has the older sync version. Importantly, there is a $2000 out of pocket to upgrade to this from the base vehicle above.

I will have the car for 2 years. Personal usage is allowed so it's really more than just a work car. For some background, my current company car is a Chevy Equinox. To be fair it's been fairly decent both for work and personal. I use it for trips to Home Depot and have loaded it to the max with concrete, lumber, etc. Not ideal for this but it's all I've got since my other car, that I own, is a sedan (VW TDI so having fun with all of that right now!!!). So, I really like the versatility of having an SUV as my work car.

So, if presented with this choice, which way would you go and why? Obviously, $2000 is a chunk of money that I'd rather not spend. However, I'd rather spend it if the versatility (maybe safety too?) with the Edge over 2 years warrants it.

Thanks to all for any guidance you care to lend! Either way I go, I look forward to joining the ranks of Ford drivers!
I have had both as leased company vehicles and my preference is the Edge as a much better road vehicle, quieter with a better ride. The new model also handles better than the previous model (that I own).

Old 03-27-2016, 11:06 PM
axledragger
New User
Thanks to everyone! A few days ago I placed my order for a 2016 Edge SE, Kona Blue with dune cloth interior. Only option was roof rack, which I selected for my plywood runs.... Should have it in a few weeks. Sooner, I hope.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You went for the Edge, huh? Good choice! Post pictures whenever you do pick it up so we can all see it, please. The Kona Blue is a nice color, I like it. Congratulations in advance!