Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Options You Wish You Had?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:06 AM
slowjack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options You Wish You Had?

I am thinking of selling my 2011 Escape and buying a new TC. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the 'Mid-Vehicle Overhead Console'? Does it take up valuable head room? I'd really like to get the glass roof but it's deleted with the overhead storage. I can always fit a smaller glass sun roof later. There's a lot of options I'd like to get too, like towing package, rear cargo area cover, I appreciate the remote start on my Escape so I'd add that too. Anyone with a TC have an option they really wish they had?

The local Ford dealers near me are loaded with the cargo style but no passenger style TC so I have to imagine every item when I visit the Ford website. I'm getting up there in years and this may be my last new vehicle so I'd like to get it right. Thanks for any input!

Jack

Old 03-13-2016, 10:49 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
When shopping for my Connect I started with the Consumer Reports "Build and Buy" program. This enabled me to see all of the options available from Ford. The B&B program also gave me prices for various options.

There were no nearby vehicles matching my exact build, but a number of dealerships came close. I could have ordered exactly what I wanted, but the time frame was such that I would have gotten a 2016 instead of a 2015 which would have been much more expensive.

I've added the options I wanted that did not come with my on-the-lot Connect. For example, I wanted a trailer hitch and found that as an after market item it did not cost any more than if it came as a factory order.

The primary difference between a factory order of what I wanted and filling in with after-market items has been time. Its taken me some time to find and install everything I wanted and I think I might have been better off waiting for a factory order.

You may also find that you want things that you cannot get on a factory order, things like custom window tinting, dash covers, and so forth.

I enjoyed the process of buying my Connect and did all the negotiations through the internet so that when I showed up on the dealer's lot there were no ambiguities and no 4 hour show-room negotiations.

I took my time in researching, buying, and accessorizing my Connect and I have really enjoyed the vehicle. Good luck in your search....

Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM
slowjack
Junior User
Thanks EvanBly. I am spoiled by my 2011 Escape. I bought it used and it came loaded with a lot of niceties, like a back up camera, heated leather seats, trailer package (which included the cable for lights - not sure if that's already built into the standard wiring harness), retracting sun roof, back up beepers that let you know if you're getting close to something, remote start, driving lamps for spotting potholes, dual temperature controls, etc. And the Escape's AWD has never let me down when I drive around in the hills during snow storms.

Ford's website has a 'build your Transit Connect' feature and it allows you to pick and chose from a list of available options. They show you the price for everything but some of the accessories don't have a description or it's pretty vague. It would be nice to see some of this stuff in a TC sitting on a dealer's lot but like I said, the dealers around here stocked up with all commercial work vans and every one of them are white.

Thanks for your input!

Jack

Some of the accessories I know I can order at RockAuto or AutoAnything later.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Definitely look over the options list, because it is a commercial based vehicle, some things are options that you might expect to be standard. Sounds like you're looking for a pretty nice one, which is harder to find. IMO going up a model year does NOT increase cost too much in the case of the TC. Rebates are not a huge difference and an aftermarket hitch for the same price as factory still won't include all the programming that comes with a factory hitch, or the increase capacity without affecting warranty. Adding options generally cost as much or more than factory.

But, if you want to do a factory order, do it quick! The fleet balance out is at the end of this month!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:00 AM
slowjack
Junior User
Frantz, Thanks for the advice. It looks like I will have to do a factory order to find what I want. I'm in no rush as I'm happy with the Escape for now and I haven't been inside a TC or taken a test drive yet.

If I miss this ordering cycle, when (approximately) does the next begin?

The only options I was thinking to pick and install myself was a hood guard and side window deflectors and maybe glass in the roof.

Nice to see you have a '95 too. They'll be antiques in another few years. And the 7.3L is so nice compared to what's out there now. Glad I kept it!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
You can pick up the next cycle right afterwards typically, however, it will maximize whatever savings there are to order a '16. While the rebates aren't drastically different and there isn't a big price increase, it's a 3-6 MONTH wait. So if rebates do go up by the time your order comes in, you can get the better deal.

My 95 should be taken off my list. She was a rusty one. The 351 is living on, I'm dropping that in my 94 Mustang. Already have most of the parts needed until I start breaking transmissions and axles. The 7.3 is a great truck, and it's a manual. It's my farm truck along with a not currently running 82 Rampage. I love old rusty crap.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM
slowjack
Junior User
Well, I will definitely have to go to a dealer, do a test drive, and make up my mind. I don't mind ordering and waiting.

If you like rusty trucks, I have a '79 F250 that I'm going to take to the junk yard one of these days. The bed is rusty but the cab isn't too bad. My knees quit on me after 37 years of working on machines while kneeling on concrete floors so I'm no longer wanting to do projects. And if you REALLY like rusty stuff, maybe I'll catch you out at Hershey in October.

I threw a photo up by my name to show off the '95 F350 with my camper on the back.

Thanks again, Jack

Old 03-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
I would love another pick-up. I live on a farm so inspect-ability isn't important if the price is right. And it's better than the crusher right? Are you in AACA? I do judging with them, though I tend to be the youngest guy by 30 years so I feel ignorant next to the folks that got to grow up with the classics. I'm actually heading to Charlotte next month for the Spring meet.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM
slowjack
Junior User
You're welcome to come look at it. I put a rebuilt 360 out of a '76 F150 that I used to own. And the C6 was rebuilt too but the truck has been sitting for years now in my carport. The last time I had it inspected was around 2004. I believe the torque converter is shot because it takes a few seconds between the time you put it Drive and it actually starts to move.

And yes, I am an AACA member. I also own a '61 VW SingleCab Bus and a '67 Bug. Both are sitting in a shed I built for them, waiting for restoration.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
My brother used to have a 72 Ghia. Neat little cars. I always wanted a vw but never had one. I'm a Rambler man myself, but anything old is exciting to me.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
When I bought my Connect the dealer told me that an order would run me into the 2016 pricing, an additional $1000. That added price might have been because Ford had been caught fudging with import taxes. The resultant change made a difference in price. I suspect that problem has been resolved.

In terms of an accessory that I wished was available on the Connect, all-wheel-drive. My wife drives a Subaru and I have come to really appreciate her choice of horse.

As far as Volkswagens, I restored a 1962 crew cab pickup. It took me about 5 years and I rebuilt the motor, re-did the upholstery, and did the body-work and painting.

When I got done, I was afraid to park in a parking lot. I felt compelled to get comprehensive insurance. But I sure enjoyed that horse. I finally sold it as requiring too much consideration and work.

Anyway, good luck in your search. You might want to look into Enterprise rental sales vehicles. I don't know if they have wagons, but I know they rent the Connect vans and their sale prices are good--just a thought.

I like the idea of ordering exactly what you want, even if it does take some time. If I were doing it again, that's the way I would go.

I wish you luck and I hope you keep us posted--this is pretty exciting stuff.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:18 PM
slowjack
Junior User
EvanBly:

Yes, I've been searching for TCs on the internet but it seems at least 90% of them are work vans, not wagons, and they're ALL frozen white. Ford buyers at the plant must have found a great deal on white paint!

I saw Ford has a Titanium TC wagon but every one I found so far has the long wheel base. Maybe that's the way the Titanium is made-? I'll have to do more research. It's all part of the fun of looking.

I think like you, I will miss AWD. I drove through a nasty snow storm one night this past January with my Escape. There were a lot of wrecks that night because it was so slick but yet I was able to negotiate some steep hills and valleys without any issues on the country roads where I live.

That '62 VW CrewCab you had must have been a real draw for people at a parking lot. You don't see many old buses because they all rusted away. I had my '61 SingleCab dipped many years ago, sprayed it with acid etch primer, and then tucked it away in my shed. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle now with parts of it piled up in the back of it.

Thanks for your input and good luck with your Transit Connect.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Titanium are all LWB. You can get leather seats with an XLT on the SWB. Frankly the ideal build to me is the fleet only LWB with only 5 passenger seating. AWD is nice but I grew out of the idea that I needed it. Growing up I had several AMC Eagles and they were little tractors (slow but never slowed). I almost get stuck in my Fiesta now and then but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe snow tires and cheap rims for next year.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Frantz;

Point well taken on the tires, they can make a big difference.

I think the most important factor is the driver. I live in the southwest and everyone here is crazy about 4 wheel drive. People spend a fortune on 4 wheel drive and then are either afraid of hurting their expensive ride or they use the ride and get stuck.

We had one desert rat in my village who went everywhere 4 wheelers would go--and he did it with a 2 wheel drive PU. He travelled with a high-jack and a shovel, but his most important asset was his driving skill.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:23 AM
slowjack
Junior User
Frantz and EvanBly:

I agree about winter driving without 4WD. Tires can make a big difference.

I used to drive a '90 E150 and would have troubles on hills (rear wheel drive). I switched to studded snows and rarely had a problem after that. My wife got rid of our Explorer and went to a much smaller Fiat 500. The Fiat couldn't get over a match stick if there was snow on the ground. But we put a softer compound snow tire on it and she has no trouble with snow covered roads now. It's pretty amazing.

Still, you do feel more confident with the AWD available. My F350 gets driven on the beach once in a while so 4WD is a must for doing that.

Referring back to my 1990 E150, what a sweet van that was. It had a straight 6 (300 ci) matched to the durable C6 transmission. I had put almost 300,000 miles on it before I sold it. You guys get attached to your vehicles too? Ha!

Quick Reply: Options You Wish You Had?