1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elkhunterpride
okay. so I charged the batteries. I didn't have anything to turn it by hand first so i just took a shot in the dark and just tried to crank it with the key. She turned over but wouldn't start. It is still a little chilly here (about 55 degrees) so i am sure that isnt helping. Batteries went dead again so i am charging one more time to see what it will do. If she wont start any thoughts?
When cranking check that the wait to start light works, tac moves, oil pressure gauge moves and for smoke out of the tail pipe. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it was the UVC wiring harness, CPS, fuelbowl heater fuse or (the name escapes me) the thing behind your alternator.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 PM
elkhunterpride
New User
UPDATE!! Plugged it in and it keeps popping the breaker after about 3 minutes. So I need to figure that out then I'll get back to you guys. Thanks

Old 03-14-2016, 07:42 PM
rock15t
Tuned
Make sure you don't have a lot of other stuff plugged into the same breaker. The block heater draws 1000 watts when plugged in.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 PM
elkhunterpride
New User
After it popped the first breaker I put it on a dedicated circuit and it still popped. I'll track down whether it's the cord or heater and go from there. Thanks

Old 03-15-2016, 11:52 AM
BBuford1962
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. the last time it was started it had lost a lot of power. To the point where I had to floor it for a not so steep hill. I think there are some injector issues. I know for sure the glow plugs are bad. I guess I am just concerned that after a year of sitting there one or more Pistons might be frozen in place. how would I tell if that's the case?
I had a similar issue as you did; I had to floor the truck just to pull a small rise in the road. I had just had it in the garage replacing the valve cover gaskets, and during reassembly, didn't get the hose to the boost sensor reattached right, and it had come off. Basically the PCM had no idea how much boost the turbo was creating, so it couldn't properly provide fuel and timing outputs to the injectors. Once I hooked that back up it ran great. You could have a similar issue due to a field mouse's teeth or dry rotted hose. It's just a thought. As low as the mileage is on your engine, I'd be following up on external issues, not internal.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:19 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBuford1962
I had a similar issue as you did; I had to floor the truck just to pull a small rise in the road. I had just had it in the garage replacing the valve cover gaskets, and during reassembly, didn't get the hose to the boost sensor reattached right, and it had come off. Basically the PCM had no idea how much boost the turbo was creating, so it couldn't properly provide fuel and timing outputs to the injectors. Once I hooked that back up it ran great. You could have a similar issue due to a field mouse's teeth or dry rotted hose. It's just a thought. As low as the mileage is on your engine, I'd be following up on external issues, not internal.
Totally agree with this post.

The MAP hose can also get clogged. Make sure its clear. You might also have a ICP sensor problem that would cause low power.
My question to you is, was it running rough, like it was missing, or smooth but low on power?

Your son is going to be thrilled. Or at least he should be lol.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:03 AM
elkhunterpride
New User
UPDATE! Success. After a new block heater cord, filling the HPOP with oil and charging the batteries it has come back to life. So here is what I know. It actually purred pretty smooth. No white smoke out of the tail pipe that I could see. From inside the truck it was hard to tell but when I would give it gas it looked like white smoke would come from around the fuel bowl. But only when I gave it gas. When I got out and looked there is a fuel leak right at the fuel bowl on the driver side. If I remember it had a leak (fuel in the valley before parked). So questions are:
1- best place to get a fuel bowl rebuild kit. I want the blue o-rings. Heard they were better.
2- I am going to replace the glow plugs as I know they are bad. I hear autolites suck???
3- cowmilker and BBuford - it was never running rough, just no power. Can you post pics or something pointing to the places you suggested.
Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
UPDATE! Success. After a new block heater cord, filling the HPOP with oil and charging the batteries it has come back to life. So here is what I know. It actually purred pretty smooth. No white smoke out of the tail pipe that I could see. From inside the truck it was hard to tell but when I would give it gas it looked like white smoke would come from around the fuel bowl. But only when I gave it gas. When I got out and looked there is a fuel leak right at the fuel bowl on the driver side. If I remember it had a leak (fuel in the valley before parked). So questions are:
1- best place to get a fuel bowl rebuild kit. I want the blue o-rings. Heard they were better.
2- I am going to replace the glow plugs as I know they are bad. I hear autolites suck???
3- cowmilker and BBuford - it was never running rough, just no power. Can you post pics or something pointing to the places you suggested.
Thanks again everyone.
1-- dieselorings.com for o-ring kit and new lines for fuel bowl
2--Motorcraft only. They don't seek and get stuck in the head. No Bueno when this happens.

Glad you got it running! Congrats!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
elkhunterpride
New User
BBslider - thank you, I will Order the o-rings from there. Looks like they have some other good parts also. but I still need to address the no power issues.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
BBslider - thank you, I will Order the o-rings from there. Looks like they have some other good parts also. but I still need to address the no power issues.
I would go ahead and get the precut fuel lines as well. He'll know what you need. There are 3 of them if I remember correctly.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:30 PM
elkhunterpride
New User
Here are a few pics and a link to a video. As you can see it is pretty dirty with dried up old oil and there is a fuel leak to take care of. I am still getting white smoke from somewhere around the fuel bowl when I give it gas.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Might be the ebps tube that rusted thru. Give that engine a good wash and determine where its leaking, just try not to hot the driver side firewall and fusebix area.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:25 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MAP hose is the black hose roughly 1/2" OD that runs from the passenger side intake plenum to the sensor mounted on the firewall area. Make sure the hose isn't clogged. Then unplug the electrical connector to the sensor and drive around to see if the power comes back. If no change plug it back in.

The ICP sensor is located on the driver's side head kind of between the FPR and the a/c compressor. It has 3 wires going to it. Unplug the sensor and drive it around to see if the power comes back. And check for oil inside the plug.

As for the white smoke under the hood, that could also be crank case gases if your CCV is leaking (orings) or if the little rubber hose has a hole in it.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I had white smoke come out from under the hood when cranking before I replaced my up pipes. The connection at the collector was so loose, when I pulled the turbo, they just slid out.