Sponsored by: Moser

New tires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:39 AM
dziskovs
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New tires...

Currently have a 2" leveling kit on my 2012 Platinum with Nitto Terra Grappler 275/65/20's.

Its about time to start looking at new tires, and I'm debating between getting the same size Nitto's, Cooper Discoverer AT3's

or

Ditching the leveling kit and going back to stock tire size. I drive mainly in town, some highway on the weekends, and really no offroading (occasional run around the farm helping the folks out).

Been looking around the forum for a while, and looks like a lot of folks like the AT3's. It's like a $6/ tire difference between the Nitto's and AT3's, so I'm pretty indifferent there.

Switching back to stock tire size/ removing leveling kit
Pro's:
speedo/ gps would finally be corrected
potentially better mileage with original rake of truck (maybe 1, 2 is a stretch)
$60-100/ tire cheaper for 275/55/20

Con's:
Asthetics
Clearance for snow/ few times I do get into mud etc
Stock tires look small in wheel well

Am I missing anything here? Any advice to sway me one way or the other?

Thanks in advance!

DZ

Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry not familiar with this return to stock height you speak of ......but seriously speaking I'd go with a decent slightly oversized all terrain than run stock size and just keep your level on.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:52 AM
TCAS007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right. It is up to you to take the decision. I took the decision for the stock size as I need the GPS and all to work accurate.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 AM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If I don't own a travel trailer, meaning that I barely would tow much. Would do the level and with slightly larger tires for the look department. With my current need, keeping as stock as possible to maximize its function as tow vehicle. When hitched with trailer, the factory rake becomes level.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:09 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck is stock, the 20" wheels are an option. I opted to go to the LT 275/65 R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S which is what is the spare tire and the stock wheel and tire.
I get good traction in mud, dirt and slick boat ramps.
Since it is a stock tire, I had the dealer change the settings for the LT 275/65 R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S and speedometer, GPS and displays are all correct.,

Old 03-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
I went with the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 in the stock 20' size and I love them. I just couldn't see the extra $80 per tire just to get another 1/2" in height. Plus, I didn't have to have my speedo reprogramed. Check the warranty on the other 20' tires, they don't offer like they do in the smaller sizes. Plus, I like to buy American.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:38 PM
B's FX4
Senior User
I might try the kuhmo venture LT tire. Seems like it has good stats on it and a little better price for a LT tire

Old 03-14-2016, 02:08 AM
greenarcher
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of guys here are happy with Terra grap for rain, dry and sometimes muddy roads and usual highways. Their new Nitto Terra G2 even better and quiet. Nitto is under Toyo company so the technology and performance is there for both tires.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm very happy with the LT series AT3's. Great all round tire and the LT rating made for a more stable ride. I've got LT 275/70 R18 on a stock 2013 FX4 and they fit fine without any leveling or lifting. My Navigation system doesn't like the tires even after I reprogrammed the new tire size into the computer. It's only correct sometimes...can't depend on it.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:11 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by greenarcher
Lots of guys here are happy with Terra grap for rain, dry and sometimes muddy roads and usual highways. Their new Nitto Terra G2 even better and quiet. Nitto is under Toyo company so the technology and performance is there for both tires.
I find my Terra's to be pretty poor in overall traction with about 6k miles on them now, wet is what really lets me down.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I find my Terra's to be pretty poor in overall traction with about 6k miles on them now, wet is what really lets me down.
I've heard that from a lot of guys. The Nittos seem to do poorly in wet conditions. My buddy runs them on stock 18" wheels and his are wearing odd too, even though he keeps his truck aligned properly. The tread is "feathering" real bad. He said he won't buy them again. And based upon the reviews I've seen across many forums over the last several years, I won't buy them to begin with.

Cooper AT3 all the way. I love those tires. Have bought two sets of them so far.

Right now I'm rolling the new Falken A/T3W and so far they are amazing. The wet traction is phenomenal. I can't wait to try them offroad.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Absolutely loving my KO2s. Have about the 1600 miles on them and I'm very pleased. Not cheap but worth the $$$$.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
I've heard that from a lot of guys. The Nittos seem to do poorly in wet conditions. My buddy runs them on stock 18" wheels and his are wearing odd too, even though he keeps his truck aligned properly. The tread is "feathering" real bad. He said he won't buy them again. And based upon the reviews I've seen across many forums over the last several years, I won't buy them to begin with.

Cooper AT3 all the way. I love those tires. Have bought two sets of them so far.

Right now I'm rolling the new Falken A/T3W and so far they are amazing. The wet traction is phenomenal. I can't wait to try them offroad.
They are only good enough for what I use them for: summer only use commuting, some gravel roads but that's about it. I have not had a chance to test them in the mud yet but hope to...I don't have high expectations. The ONLY reason I got them was due to size restrictions for A/T tires on a 22" wheel, I would have rather had a few other tires before I choose this.

They do seem to be wearing well though, just put them back on for this summer and no feathering, just wear on the edges of the ones that were on the front. They do squeal and loose traction a little sooner then i'd like on dry pavement but I might be too hard on them also....

Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 PM
dilas
Tuned
Had KO2 on my previous F150, wear really well. Got 60k out of it even with occasional towing with travel trailer. Then had a Michelin LTX AT2, very nice tires. For my specific need, towing with TT and to maximize gas mileage without towing, AT2 would be my choice again. If I don't tow, I would get the KO2 again.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:52 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I just changed out the Terra's on my wife's Tahoe. The ice traction was terrible but they were good with dry/minor off road conditions. I put Goodyear Wrangler Authority's on it last weekend. Haven't had them in any ice yet but I've heard they do well. They are Walmart only tires and very similar to the Duratrac's that I have on my F150. Only negative reviews were on 3/4 ton trucks.

The Duratrac's do great on ice so I'm hoping for the same with the wife's ride, even though it's a Chevy.

Quick Reply: New tires...