General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Wilderness AT tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:16 PM
kbcapecod
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wilderness AT tires

I recently picked up a 2000 Ford Expedition that has Wilderness At tires on it. I have since learned that in 2001 Ford Volutarilly recalled all Wilderness AT tires. I contacted Ford Customer Service Center and they said this program ended just over a year ago and they would not do anything for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Ford to live up to what they say is a problem and replace these tires? (since the replacment program has ended, does that mean my tires are safe?) ANy suggestions for upper level contacts who can actually make a decision to over ride the "policy".

Thanks

Old 08-11-2003, 10:09 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Wilderness AT tires

Welcome to FTE! This thread is probaby going to be moved to the "Suspension, Tires & Wheels" forum", but I'll post anyway

If the program's over, you might be out of luck. I would first check the DOT numbers to see whether or not your tires should've been recalled. If not, then they're ok (although Wilderness A/Ts are kinda crappy).

If you really want to unload them, I would go to your local tire dealer, have them call Bridgestone/Firestone, and see if you can arrange a return. Firestone may (or may not) offer you a certain amount of compensation.

Regardless of what happens, Wilderness A/Ts are crappy - you're better off without them. Firestone tires aren't all that great, but Bridgestone tires are awesome! Might be worth checking into.

XXL

Old 08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Wilderness AT tires

How many miles are on the tires? Do they need to be changed anyway? Go with Matt on this one...

Old 08-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Wilderness AT tires

I kind of like those Wilderness AT tires Check the DOT codes on the tires. The only marginal tires are those with VD as part of the DOT codes. Even the ones with VD codes held up better than the Goodyears and Michelins that were used to replace them.

The Wilderness AT tires wear well and they have great traction. Driver error, lack of maintenance, and other factors were the cause of the accidents, not the tires. And no I don't work for or with Firestone. The decision to blame Firestone was pure politics.

Keep your tires aired up to the Firestone recommended 32 psi and you shouldn't have problems. Always watch your tire pressures. teach all drivers what to do in case of a rear blowout, -hold the wheel steady. You could air them down to 26 like Ford likes, but you would have to watch the pressures very closely. The normal few pounds of pressure loss can lead to problems when there is no margin for error. Low tire pressure builds heat and causes tires to self destruct, -any tires.