Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock seat question

Old 07-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by abe View Post
I vote to go with the NOS material!
Of course you want me to go with NOS,
But for this one, I think I will go with something new.

This looks like my truck. It's my color. I'm not sure that seat color combination matches too well. But, that is the way it came.....

My upholstery guy is pushing for all black which would probably look better, BUT is that what I want?

Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 PM
df85732
Elder User
df85732 is a name known to alldf85732 is a name known to alldf85732 is a name known to alldf85732 is a name known to alldf85732 is a name known to alldf85732 is a name known to all
Can't make that decision for ya Joe! But, don't move to fast! I put the samples in the US Mail today!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by df85732 View Post
Can't make that decision for ya Joe! But, don't move to fast! I put the samples in the US Mail today!
You are awesome! I've got time. He said it would be at least a week before he was ready for covering. When I went over today to show him the pictures, the seat hadn't moved from where we sat it last Thursday.

One thing about this place is that I know I will get 50 different opinions, but it's nice to bounce it off of all you guys.

The stocker in me wants to go with the red and tan? Brown? heck I don't know for sure. The other side says black would look nice...but it would be hot.
The sample sure will help with my decision.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quick question, wasn't that a 56 with a lower fuel fill?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Jafo56 View Post

Good eye Joe! This is a ford promotional picture I got off the net somewhere. This must have been a 56 prototype. But do notice the gas cap was black.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by abe View Post

Good eye Joe! This is a ford promotional picture I got off the net somewhere. This must have been a 56 prototype. But do notice the gas cap was black.
Yes that is the earliest pic of a 56 that I too have in my library. Also note no door rubbers and it must have been used at the test track as I can see a tachometer in the dash if you enlarge the pic

Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jafo56 View Post
Nice catch. That is very interesting. A 56 prototype would be something extra special.

This got me looking at the 55 closer. I zoomed way in on the ebrake handle. I wonder if they didn't have any rubber on the cab floor hole and the rubber mat was the seal? But Dave's picture in my thread blows holes in that idea, unless his isn't stock, but it look like it probably is.

You know, we ponder what stock was and really this stuff most likely varied from plant to plant and day to day. It is entertaining though. It's just not wise to discuss it outside this arena.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:41 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
hoss73ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
A '56 with a 53-55 gas tank & filler. Wow never saw that. That is one of a kind.

I like all the seat choices pictured, especially the one with the red on top. Don't care for modern seats, they look like they're pregnant.

I hope Ford didn't wreck that prototype and that it's at least in somebody's barn today, if not out on the road.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Dave's samples arrived in the mail on Friday just before I left town. Thanks Dave!!!
I went to North Missouri for my In-Laws 60th anniversary party on the family farm.
Some of you might recall I have a 54 cab up there. As usual I went to make sure there is nothing I need and low and behold the seat still has some material on it. (I have to remember to grab those door handles when I'm up there next.)

I cut off a couple pieces of that material so I have that as well. That cab was a custom cab. The material is a little different between the two. Very similar colors. I was actually surprised at how dark Dave's samples are.

Here is a picture of the two sets together.

The patterned weave with the red still attached is the custom cab.
I will take both samples to the upholster and see what we can find that is similar design and color to either one of these.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:50 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
The herringbone pattern is what was used in 54 for both standard cab and deluxe cab. The deluxe cab had the red vinyl bolster come down about 6" on the back

The one Dave sent you is from a 55.

From what I read in the 55 color dealer brochure Ford had a woven vinyl material for the standard cab and two kinds of material depending on the trucks body color for the Custom Cab.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Duh! Difference between a 54 and 55.
Sometimes I'm pretty dense. I'm glad I have you guys to keep me straight.
Of course we wen't from me thinking about just a plain black material to now making sure I don't mix the patterns of 54 vs 55.

It's all good info though.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 PM
abe
Post Fiend
I also have noticed that the 53 and 54 seat backs had about a three inch thickness to the top of the seat back which was covered in red vinyl. My 55 seat back does not have this. The seat back material goes up and around to the back of the seat back. It is thin at the top of the seat back and does not have the red vinyl bolster.

Pics tomorrow!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.
Anyone have anymore shots of a factory 56 seat, especially the fabric? Considering I never see it in anyone's truck I like it quite a bit.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Here is stock 56 seat

This is a standard cab seat. The custom cab seats had the vinyl bolster down the top of the seat back with large buttons in it

Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
abe
Post Fiend
Here are pictures of my 54 seat and my 55 seat. Notice the difference at the top of the seat back.
54 seat:

This is the vinyl covering I had put on in 1977. I am ssuming the seat originally had a top like this and that is why the upholstery shop did it like this. It is too far back for me to remember.

My original 55 seat:

I will scan my 55 and 56 dealer brochures to show what the seats looked like both standard cab and Custom Cab.
Here is the 54 catalog pics showing the Standard Cab and Deluxe Cab:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock seat question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.