1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pressure Plate Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pressure Plate Problem

Installed the 226 today, got the trans mated to the block, and then when I was hooking up the driveshaft I noticed it could turn... while in gear.... (rear end is off the ground)....

Clutch was not connected yet; so I removed the inspection plate and discovered the three fingers on the pressure plate got stuck on the trans input shaft bearing retainer during assembly... creating the effect as though the clutch was depressed.

Hard to take a picture of...

I'm hoping someone will give an easy solution or tell me I did something wrong!! Or if the problem is the PP (from Mac's) then OK, I pull it off and get a new one or have the old rebuilt... Do I need to have the rotating assembly balanced again, cause I just had it done!!! errrrrrr

It's the 11 inch clutch and PP, trans is HD 3 speed.

Thanks

Before assembly:

Old 03-05-2016, 10:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I can't say that I've ever seen a Long clutch with that kind of fingers. I have not heard anything good about MACs clutches, to be honest. If you can get your money back on it, I'd send the original to Ft Wayne Clutch for rebuilding.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I know the photo is at an an angle so there is a parallax, but the finger at 1 o'clock looks longer than the the other two. The input shaft isn't that big.

It has been 25 years, but I seem to recall I did this on my truck when I was about 18 years old. I slid the transmission in at an angle and got one one finger caught. It was a long time ago and I've slept and drank beer since then. I think I had to reposition it and go in straighter. I had a 10" clutch on a 239 V8. Can you support the rear of the engine and remove and install the transmission working from through the floor pan?

One question not related to the clutch. On flathead 8s, the flywheel bolts are lock wired. Are the bolts on a six not lock wired as well? Or did you use different bolts and just lock tight them? I'm sorry. I hate to be "that guy" of when you post pics of one thing and someone asks something else.

Good luck

Keith

Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
V8 flywheel to crank bolts aren't lock-wired

Old 03-06-2016, 09:01 AM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I should have been more clear. The bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Thanks guys;

Ross, I recieved the PP and clutch as a gift well over a year ago (I think my dad was expecting me to be moving a little faster), so unfortantly it's mine forever at this point...

John, I was thinking about it and it may have gone on at a slight angle but all three fingers are resting on the shaft, shouldn't at least one not be?

My plan today is to pull the trans and measure everything, from looking at it though the inspection plate it looks as though the fingers are just barely resting on the input shaft. I may try to file it slightly and see if that does the trick, looks as though theres plenty of material there.

Otherwise the old one will be made new again which is what I should have done in the beginnig. Thanks guys

Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Do you have the correct throw out bearing for that pressure plate?

Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Should be only one bearing for all models except big jobs AFAIK; the one installed is from van pelt. But here the fingers aren't touching the bearing yet, just the input shaft cover the bearing travels on.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:44 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sure it must just be a mock-up photo, but in case it isn't, I've gotta ask. In the photo of the rear of the engine - is that exactly the way you installed it? Because if it is, I don't see a clutch disk in there and that would be why the driveline can still be turned with it in gear. That would also be why the fingers are in contact with and depressed by the throw out bearing.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Haha. Yes that's just mockup, disc went in after that. I actually thought someone might say that after I posted the photo. Disc is in there

Old 03-06-2016, 01:12 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Just making sure! .

My dad bought a cheap, offshore made clutch disk from a catalog company many moons ago for an 8N tractor and we couldn't get that thing to play nice with the existing pressure plate and throw out bearing no matter what we did. The thickness of the lining was wrong - way too thick. With the adjustment all the way at its limit, it wouldn't release until the pedal was touching the running board. I finally ended up replacing it with a domestically sourced part and it went in and adjusted perfectly.

My point is that I wouldn't be too surprised if everything doesn't fit right if the parts were made across the pond. Their tolerances are vastly different than ours.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I had the pressure plate and clutch rebuilt for my F4 and the rebuilder installed the same type fingers as yours. You can probably grind a little off of the ends of each finger to give them clearance.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
V8 flywheel to crank bolts aren't lock-wired
Originally Posted by ktgovols
I should have been more clear. The bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft.
I understood that. No wires. They are "locked" by being torqued to within an inch of their breaking point.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Ross, Maybe ktgovols is thinking of a pre '48 V8, IIRC they were lockwired.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Well I pulled the PP off today and did a quick grind on each finger, put it all back together and slid right on, no touching! Clutch Ops check good.

Glad it was easy, but not quick. Took a good part of the day to pull the trans, clutch housing, and pp; then put it all back together, but it's done. Thank you all for your input and help!

Ps - in case someone notices from the pic above, Yes the rear valve cover is upside down, and two head bolts are missing

Quick Reply: Pressure Plate Problem