Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 01:54 AM
Nick Pigglet Curtis
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo help

Sorry if these is posted wrong.
But need help with finding a turbo asap. Mine is unrepairable
My question is how much you guys trust eBay turbos? I can't really afford 38r because I'm moving cross country in 2 weeks and need the truck running but don't want to go stock again and have to do all the upgrades again. Looking for something on the lines for drop in and go. Trucks a 2001 7.3 stage 1 injectors and tuner.
Throw some options out there. Working within about $800 range
Thanks

Old 03-04-2016, 06:08 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how far gone your turbo is based upon your description. If it is rebuildable or if you can find a core that is rebuildable reasonably cheap then you may want to check this out:

RDP 66mm GTP38 Conversion Kit - Riffraff Diesel Performance

I am considering it.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Dont buy the the ebay "specials" turbo the oil seals dont last, I made the mistake of buying one for my Nissan 300z the thing only lasted a week before it started spewing oil thru the exhaust. Check spturboost.com and speak with Kevin tell him your situation he migh help you out..

Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Pigglet Curtis
Sorry if these is posted wrong.
But need help with finding a turbo asap. Mine is unrepairable
My question is how much you guys trust eBay turbos? I can't really afford 38r because I'm moving cross country in 2 weeks and need the truck running but don't want to go stock again and have to do all the upgrades again. Looking for something on the lines for drop in and go. Trucks a 2001 7.3 stage 1 injectors and tuner.
Throw some options out there. Working within about $800 range
Thanks
A new Garrett Center Cartridge and a 1.0 housing would work great with your injectors and keep you under your financial cap. Only about $650, and it is brand new.

Garrett 99-03 GTP-38 Turbo Center Cartridge Ford 7.3L

Garrett 1.0 A/R NON-Wastegated Exhaust Housing 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Old 03-04-2016, 09:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i would put a junkyard turbo on my truck before trusting a evelbay unit.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Nick Pigglet Curtis
Freshman User
Update

Thanks for the posts guys. Turbos is gone housing n backing plate are scored into badly bearing carrier got scored out too. Only thing salvageable on it is exhaust housing.
But made a decision to sell one of the toys to go towards the budget. So my question what's the best turbo for your buck. I hear all the rave about the 38r but heard some guys complain about you have to send them out to get rebuilt, is there a different opinion?
I'm moving to Cali per wifes Navy orders. We haul a 34' inclosed trailer almost every weekend loaded with our and shipmates atvs. So need something that's got good performance and can handle the towing and now dessert life.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:10 PM
abowman
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys. Turbos is gone housing n backing plate are scored into badly bearing carrier got scored out too. Only thing salvageable on it is exhaust housing.
But made a decision to sell one of the toys to go towards the budget. So my question what's the best turbo for your buck. I hear all the rave about the 38r but heard some guys complain about you have to send them out to get rebuilt, is there a different opinion?
I'm moving to Cali per wifes Navy orders. We haul a 34' inclosed trailer almost every weekend loaded with our and shipmates atvs. So need something that's got good performance and can handle the towing and now dessert life.
I like mine, very loud wich i like but others do not like it. but I do have my stock turbo with around 50k on it I'll sell for 300+shipping if your interested. Dono how much there worth???

Old 03-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Nick Pigglet Curtis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abowman
I like mine, very loud wich i like but others do not like it. but I do have my stock turbo with around 50k on it I'll sell for 300+shipping if your interested. Dono how much there worth???
I love loud lol.
Is it worth getting with the ww2 with it?
I'll for sure keep that it mind gotta talk with the wife when she gets home and see what she thinks.
I want a 38r but the price tag, but don't want to have to deal with piecing together another stock one for the upgrades even tho I know it be cheaper

Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I love loud lol.
Is it worth getting with the ww2 with it?
I'll for sure keep that it mind gotta talk with the wife when she gets home and see what she thinks.
I want a 38r but the price tag, but don't want to have to deal with piecing together another stock one for the upgrades even tho I know it be cheaper
I might have something that would work. If you're interested I'll dig into it. The vehicle is a 2003 E-450 with 131,000 miles on it. These guys will know better what it should be and how it should work for you. I could move it pretty quick for you and ship USPS priority.

Edit:I see abowman has one, that would be your best bet.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Buy the 38R and don't look back. It will go good with your stage I's. What filter do you have? That will tell you how loud it will be. Stock filter dosen't work well with the 38R. AIS would be different with stage I's.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Nick Pigglet Curtis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Buy the 38R and don't look back. It will go good with your stage I's. What filter do you have? That will tell you how loud it will be. Stock filter dosen't work well with the 38R. AIS would be different with stage I's.
That seems like what I keeping leaning towards is 38r.
Right now I have a crappy k&n been on list of things to change but when I do the turbo looking at the s&b if it's still in the budget or shortly after the move I'll be changing it to s&b

Old 03-04-2016, 07:17 PM
abowman
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That seems like what I keeping leaning towards is 38r.
Right now I have a crappy k&n been on list of things to change but when I do the turbo looking at the s&b if it's still in the budget or shortly after the move I'll be changing it to s&b
Throw the k&n get a Napa filter fairly cheep 50$ I think and 4-5" of 4" exhaust pipe and a big hose clamp, the turbo will wistle your ear off with that filter.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Nick Pigglet Curtis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abowman
Throw the k&n get a Napa filter fairly cheep 50$ I think and 4-5" of 4" exhaust pipe and a big hose clamp, the turbo will wistle your ear off with that filter.
I did the Napa filter for a day and didn't like the look i know it's way cheaper but I do a lot of emergency calls for a towing company and have my hood up a lot n just to tacky looking for me. I like clean looking. I'm so **** I wash my engine bay about once a month lol

Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at KC Turbos. Ball bearing like the 38R but rebuildable and a little cheaper.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Nick Pigglet Curtis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
Look at KC Turbos. Ball bearing like the 38R but rebuildable and a little cheaper.

Your a life saver I've been trying to find them all day. I heard about them when they first came out guys loved them but couldn't remember the name of the company. Do have one?

Quick Reply: Turbo help