Repair guidance/suggestions sought

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Repair guidance/suggestions sought

During the last big snow my rear wheels slid sideways into a pole while pulling in to the carport. This resulted in a door dent and chewed up molding strip.
The body shop wants $300.00 to repair it. I have a can of paint and a can of clear coat from automotivetouchup.com and I'm thinking I can pop the dent out from the inside of the door with the heel of my hand, purchase a new rub strip for about $50.00 from Ford parts, paint it, and stick it on. Saving at least $200.00 in the process.
The problem is I have never successfully done any body work/painting and I don't have a lot of confidence that the job is as simple as I think it is.
Here's a picture of the damage. Thoughts?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Well, the concept is good but with a few more details required.

Although the dent can be pushed back out, you will need a real hammer/dolly because there has been metal stretch....and it will have to be shrunk back down other wise you will just create more "waves" in the panel and it will never sit right. With regards to the paint, I'm not totally familiar with the brand you are referencing but, most all touch-up paint does not come with a hardner....so that it will remain soft/pliable/easy to sand/polish, etc...and many paints have a shelf life as well....in summary, the durability will be a likely issue.

IMHO, there is a good step by step bodywork guide on FTE and I would then look at a local auto paint supplier to provide a quart of the proper paint, reducer (which is temp/humidity sensitive), etc.....with a little luck, a whole bunch of work, it should turn out very nice

Old 03-02-2016, 12:01 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I've already ordered the plastic strip.
One of those automatic barricade arms in a parking garage came crashing down on my hood and left a good sized dent and scraped the paint. The company has paid me and I have to take it to the body shop to be repaired.
I think the smartest thing I can do now is give them the plastic strip and let them fix the door while they're at it.
Thanks for the insight!

Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I've already ordered the plastic strip.
One of those automatic barricade arms in a parking garage came crashing down on my hood and left a good sized dent and scraped the paint. The company has paid me and I have to take it to the body shop to be repaired.
I think the smartest thing I can do now is give them the plastic strip and let them fix the door while they're at it.
Thanks for the insight!
Agree!!!!!