Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Snow plow: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 vs 5.0L Ti-VCT V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow plow: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 vs 5.0L Ti-VCT V8

Hello all, my first time posting on the F150 forum.
Had an old E250 before for the racecar.

Ok, I was thinking of buying a 2016 or 2015 F150 XL standard cab, short bed as a daily driver and to work around the house and pull the racecar. In a couple of years, we will be moving in the countryside and will have a 400' driveway to plow.

I see that Ford offers the plow package on the V8 but not the V6. (note; I don't want to buy a turbo engine because I plan on keeping the truck a long time and maintaining it myself, so I want to keep the complexity to a minimum.)

Why Ford doesn't allow a snow plow on the V6? From what I see, the HP and torque are more than enough. The V6 could also be used with the Low range to double the torque if needed. So, what would be the reason? Older trucks in the 80s had V8 with less HP and not a lot more torque and were capable of plowing snow.

Ford says that the snow plow package adds a bigger alternator, stiffer springs, and disable some electrical circuits to help the alternator. Does someone know what those circuits are? (rear defrost, stereo? all the rest seems necessary so they will remain active).

Thanks.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:49 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The N/A V6 is pretty basic... Ford doesn't give that engine much love. I suspect the reason the plow package isn't offered here is "because we don't want to". The EB motors (2.7 and 3.5) are off the table as the plow obstructs the intercooler.

The plow selection kills power-hungry systems like heated seats, heated steering wheel, fog lights, inverter, and seat massagers (which don't belong on a truck in the first place): https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wplow_v1-0.pdf

Also keep in mind they only warrant the F150 for residential/personal plow use. Turn it into a full-time plow truck and they'll void the warranty (if they find out).

Old 02-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Thanks tvsjr for the document and information.

That's what I tought, the V6 is capable but...

I will go with a XL which won't have all the luxury equipment you listed.
So in theory, even if I don't have the high output alternator from the V8 plow package I should be ok. I just have to think not to actuate the plow pump while steering the truck or add a second battery with an isolator for the pump only.

But, if Ford says 'no' I might have problems with the guaranty.

BTW, yes it will be for my own driveway.

EDIT:

From the document, Ford supplies only 10 Amps for the plow operation.
It's not a big load. If a XL has the same alternator as a XLT or Platinum with all the options, a 10 amps load would be nothing for a XL.?

Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I can't find anything to suggest that the snow plow package includes a different alternator. I wouldn't hesitate to put a light duty plow on a V6 truck without the plow prep package.

Power and torque won't be a problem at all, it doesn't take much to push snow around.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
I don't know if the snow plow package is the same for Ford NA and Ford Canada. On the US site they don't list what is included.
On the canadian site, they say that a bigger alternator is included.
But the price is quite higher; $50 in the US and $250 in Canada.
I know our dollars doesn't worth much these days, but that seems more than the exchange alone?

Since we will move only in a couple of years, the garranty will be almost expired, so mounting a snow plow on the V6 won't cause a problem with Ford.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't hesitate at all. A guy here has a basic 2015 Crew Cab XL 4x4 with the V6. He put a plow on it and pushes snow around the driveways of the community. Has absolutely no issues. Plenty of power to spin the tires standing still in the snow. I imagine like most things that are done on a manufacturing line, this was just another option they had to make to keep from splitting the line at another point.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the alternator for your use. Power will be drawn from the battery if you exceed the current that your alternator can produce. You'd have to be doing a LOT of raising and lowering in a short amount of time to deplete your battery.

I used to plow with a quad, and the blade was lifted by the winch. The winch would draw as much as 200A, and the magneto was only capable of 30A @ 6,000 RPMs. Never once did I kill the relatively small battery. Of course I knew about how overmatched the magneto was and made sure to keep the engine running for a few minutes before I shut down to charge the battery. I really think this is only a concern if you're plowing for extended periods of time, such as if you're doing this commercially.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect the snow-plow prep includes the 240A alternator that comes in the SSV package, over the stock 200A unit. This alternator also has a better load curve, producing more power at lower RPM.

The 10A output is meant to drive a relay/solenoid. The plow would also have large cables wired directly to the battery to power the plow.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:08 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Not so sure how Ford gets around the cooling issues for the 6.7L in the superduty trucks while plowing but, this while plow prep package thing is derived from being able to keep the 3.5L intercooler clear so it can breathe properly.

I can't imagine that a personal use plow would create any issues.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:08 AM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
I suspect the snow-plow prep includes the 240A alternator that comes in the SSV package, over the stock 200A unit. This alternator also has a better load curve, producing more power at lower RPM.

The 10A output is meant to drive a relay/solenoid. The plow would also have large cables wired directly to the battery to power the plow.
Ok I see, I tought the pump was only a 10amps draw, doesn't make sense if I think more about it.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Not so sure how Ford gets around the cooling issues for the 6.7L in the superduty trucks while plowing but, this while plow prep package thing is derived from being able to keep the 3.5L intercooler clear so it can breathe properly.

I can't imagine that a personal use plow would create any issues.
The first year they introduced the plow prep package (in the 150), the 3.5EB was excluded because of the intercooler placement and lack of air flow when the blade was raised (as far as I know).

I'm sure I saw the following year that the plow package was accepted with the 3.5EB because a modification to the intercooler air path was done.
Now I can't find that information anymore, and Ford lists only the 5.0L as acceptable for the plow package.

I don't think I was dreaming, I'm quite sure. Oh well...

Old 03-01-2016, 07:00 AM
MadWolf
Tuned
This was thoroughly covered in another thread recently.

1. On the F-150, the Snowplow prep only gives you a button to disable unneeded electric devices. Because of the electric steering. That was the final answer, I think.

2. the eco 3.5 didn't get the prep package because the plows block off the air flow to the intercooler. But that was it.

3. One plow company already made a shorter plow that swears it's OK to use with the eco 3.5 Sno-Way is Only Plow Approved for Use on F150 But since they don't give you the snow-prep button from the factory, I don't know how the electric will perform.