dash pad removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 PM
papyjack
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dash pad removal

Hello fellow Ford friends,
I have a 79 bronco that is getting ready for paint. I pulled the complete interior out of the truck less the dash pad. Just wondering if the dash pad can be removed without removing the dash? if so does anyone have any step by step instructions? If not I will also need some instructions on how to remove the whole dash.

Cheers

Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I don't know how different the 78/79 and the 80-86 are, but I've removed the dashpad on my '81 numerous times and it's incredibly simple.

There are a series of screws along the bottom up front. About 10 or so.
Then, about 10 along the back by the windshield. All of them are visible and right out in the open.

Once they're all out, you can simply lift the dashpad out and take it out of the vehicle.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM
72GTS
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is studs & nuts holding the pad on. It can be removed without taking the whole dash out. You might need to remove the heater defrost tubes. There is one bolt where the pad dips down between the gauge cluster & the glove box. Make yourself comfortable laying on your back as it will take a while. I believe they are 5/16 nuts.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:24 PM
papyjack
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you guys. 8 nuts in total- definitely need to be comfortable and to not have gorilla size hands...

cheers

Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 AM
/3ISON
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info to know

Old 03-11-2016, 01:51 PM
gmatt2
New User
Related question: Dash removal 86 bronco, there's a screw above the steering column that seems to face backward and and something holding it on each side, how do I get to them? Do I need to drop the column?

Last edited by gmatt2; 03-11-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-11-2016, 01:54 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by gmatt2
Related question: Dash removal 86 bronco, there's a screw above the steering column that seems to face backward and and something holding it on each side, how do I get to them? Do I need to drop the column?
Can you get a picture? (If you need a site to host it, try photobucket.com, or supermotors.net).

The dash in my '81 is no different than your '86 and there are no screws that I know of that are like you describe. Everything's easy to get to.

However, there ARE other screws for other things that look like they're for the dash, but aren't. Just loosen what you can see, wiggle the dash to see if it's loser, and then keep going. Nothing should be difficult to get to, unless someone's modified it.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:16 AM
gmatt2
New User
I've found 2 bolts on each side, 1 top/bottom. I think that should get it minus any wires that need disconnected. All this to replace the blend door. Glad I didn't take it to a mechanic.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by gmatt2
I've found 2 bolts on each side, 1 top/bottom. I think that should get it minus any wires that need disconnected. All this to replace the blend door. Glad I didn't take it to a mechanic.
The blend door for the heater? You shouldn't have to remove the dash cap for that. Pull the glove box out and the passenger kick panel and then there should be about six long bolts coming in from the firewall. Take the nut off of those and the heater assembly should be removable from the engine bay. That will give you access to the blend door. Replace your heater core while you have it out for good measure.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Abandoned, did you need to remove anything else to reach the bolts? my soft dashpad is broken and I want to fix it.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:15 PM
AbandonedBronco
Heya Encho. Are you talking about on your 93? If so, I have no idea how different it is than my 81. On mine, every screw was visible and accessible. Just a matter of taking them all out and then the cap just lifted out. I was surprised by how super easy it was. But, I don't know if yours is the same.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Heya Encho. Are you talking about on your 93? If so, I have no idea how different it is than my 81. On mine, every screw was visible and accessible. Just a matter of taking them all out and then the cap just lifted out. I was surprised by how super easy it was. But, I don't know if yours is the same.
I don't know exactly how easy it is to remove the dash pad on a 92-96 Bronco, but was surprised on how simple it was to remove the entire dash. I tried looking for the writeup I found but can't seem to find it now.

I did just find a writeup on how to remove the soft cushion pad though if that's what you (Encho) needed. It's from FSB forums though ! I like these forums much better but there's some helpful stuff there too! Here's the link if you need want to see this guy's writeup! Dash pad replacement, 92-96 - Ford Bronco Forum

If I find that link to the dash removal walkthrough I'll post it here as well. I'll want to look at it again when I remove my Bronco's dash to swap wiring. It made removing the donor F-250 dash I had super easy.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:41 AM
gmatt2
New User
Hey abandoned.. The cover for the heater core does give some access but I found it best to remove the pad and loosen the dash itself. That way the you can get the defrost and vents tubes out of the way any you have a clear view straight into the blend door chamber. Remove 2 screws, drill out 2 rivets, remove the plastic pin attaching the actuator to blend door, and the entire assembly drops out. It was a bit more difficult to find a replacement by broncograveyard.com has one for $45, part# 37282. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 AM
AbandonedBronco
Do you have A/C?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 AM
gmatt2
New User
That's affirmative... A/C. I spent some time diagnosing the problem. Removed the blower motor looking for bird nest/some obstruction. Checked the heat/AC and defrost actuators, removed the box on the engine firewall covering the A/C unit, and finally realized it was the blend door.
Everything's torn apart, time to replace all the dash lights, cigarette lighter, foam insulation strips in the vent systems...... I did find a hose unhooked I have to trace. Straight behind the steering wheel, up against the firewall, about the size of the washer fluid hose.

Quick Reply: dash pad removal