1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

High top roofs

Old 02-25-2016, 03:28 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High top roofs

I am planning on going out to look as a used E250 extended cargo van that has an aero style raised roof. I assume it's some type of fiberglass just like the many conversions vans used.

I was just wondering what were the down sides of this roof besides the obvious of not driving under any low hanging tree limbs, etc.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
water leaks if not installed correctly

Old 02-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimbbski
I am planning on going out to look as a used E250 extended cargo van that has an aero style raised roof. I assume it's some type of fiberglass just like the many conversions vans used.

I was just wondering what were the down sides of this roof besides the obvious of not driving under any low hanging tree limbs, etc.
I just put one on last year. I found it used and drove 5 hours to pick it up. It actually took me about 7 months to find one. The only ones available were ambulance tops that you might find in a salvage yard (unless you can find a new one for about 2k). Post an add WTB on Craigslist. You never know.. that's how i got mine. I have an 04 and the donor vehicle was a 1992 quigly. The guy took it on as a project van however there was way too much body rust so he decided to part it out. He helped me take the top off which wasn't exactly easy but it was well worth it. Especially since he gave me the front brush guard for free. Keep in mind that you will not be able to use the old hardware (that long strip with the screws that attach to the roof). This hardware is VERY expensive if you can even find it. I decided to use rub rail for a boat and it worked out ok. Originally i wanted something a little higher but actually very happy with this top. Its very aerodynamic and modern sporty looking IMO. After a waxing, it looks like a brand new top. Not bad for a 1992 top. The only thing to worry about is not being able to take it through the car wash anymore lol..

DONOR VEHICLE

MY VAN BEFORE

Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
The van already has the high top on it. It's looks good as it's rounded but not stylized without any extra bumps like yours, NO offense intended. I'm looking for something that is functional but not to high like some I've seen and this van is everything I am looking for. I just wanted to know of any downsides that I'm not aware of.

Low miles.
Almost new (2012)
Garage kept
An E250 5.4L
A cargo version
An extended version
White in color
The optional interior trim& insulation in the cargo area
and of course the high top.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimbbski
The van already has the high top on it. It's looks good as it's rounded but not stylized without any extra bumps like yours, NO offense intended. I'm looking for something that is functional but not to high like some I've seen and this van is everything I am looking for. I just wanted to know of any downsides that I'm not aware of.

Low miles.
Almost new (2012)
Garage kept
An E250 5.4L
A cargo version
An extended version
White in color
The optional interior trim& insulation in the cargo area
and of course the high top.
I guess i read your post wrong.. Any downsides to buying a high-top van your asking? Im sure there are but they're are the most obvious things one would think of like height, water issues, possible body roll, structural integrity in a collision.. These hightop passenger vans are at more risk of rolling on its side when fully loaded and some caps have even come apart when crashed. An upgraded front sway bar and adding a rear sway if it doesn't have it would help greatly for body roll. Thats about all i can think of.. Maybe someone else can chime in

Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 165 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey_23_ny1
Keep in mind that you will not be able to use the old hardware (that long strip with the screws that attach to the roof). This hardware is VERY expensive if you can even find it. I decided to use rub rail for a boat and it worked out ok.
Why couldn't you reuse the old hardware?
Because that is a weak spot where water can leak inside, for maintenance reasons, I was thinking to remove the rub-rail like aluminum piece, clean it, clean the rain gutters, reseal everything , and reinstall it.. I am pretty sure the black rubber trim that goes in the aluminum channel to cover the screws would need to be replaced..

Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
Why couldn't you reuse the old hardware?
Because that is a weak spot where water can leak inside, for maintenance reasons, I was thinking to remove the rub-rail like aluminum piece, clean it, clean the rain gutters, reseal everything , and reinstall it.. I am pretty sure the black rubber trim that goes in the aluminum channel to cover the screws would need to be replaced..
The reason i said you could not re-use the old track/trim is because there are a gazillion screws every 2" or so that need to come out. In my case when we were removing the old trim it was impossible because every screw was rusted and would strip when trying to turn out. Also vice grips don't work well on pan head screws recessed inside of a track. Drilling them out didn't really seem to be an option either. The only option that we could think of was a flat bar to pry them out from underneath. In the end the track was in about 52 mangled broken pieces. If you live in a dry climate, you may have better luck with something like that.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:07 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 165 Likes on 152 Posts
Ah, ok thanks... In the mid to late 60's my dad used to build the old style wood/ aluminum covered truck bed covers. I was just little then but my favorite job was installing the black plastic/rubber trim that covered the screws.. Occasionally he would hold the air drill and let me pull the trigger and shoot in a few screws! So I understand what you are saying now!!
Thanks
Anna

Old 02-26-2016, 09:16 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to assume you will take a slight hit on fuel mileage MPG with a higher wind profile. Not sure if you would have a slight weight gain or loss depending on Fiberglass (?) or some material but more of it replacing sheet metal. Again, that should be minor.

How about a little more wind noise at highway speeds? Both from wind coming in any tiny gaps but also that aero higher profile. (?)

Old 02-26-2016, 12:28 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
I would think that wind noise at speed would be dependent on the design of the top as some I've seen look like they don't belong and others have some aero design to them.
The latter would be expected to be better noise wise but that's why I'm asking the question here about "high tops"

Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
I guess i read your post wrong.. Any downsides to buying a high-top van your asking? Im sure there are but they're are the most obvious things one would think of like height, water issues, possible body roll, structural integrity in a collision.. These hightop passenger vans are at more risk of rolling on its side when fully loaded and some caps have even come apart when crashed. An upgraded front sway bar and adding a rear sway if it doesn't have it would help greatly for body roll. Thats about all i can think of.. Maybe someone else can chime in
Originally i thought I liked the soft top option a little better,but I eventually have changed my mind in favor of the extra tall top I have. Down side is looks and can be limited by low hanging stuff.
Ive had none of what is mentioned in the above quoted post. I have over 150K mi on it too.

Ive had mine on since new,but it was installed by Ford or farmed out when new. It is taller and the 4x4 has a 4+" body lift and suffers no disadvantages. You just have to be aware of your height. It keeps in the heaters heat & AC's cool better,theres more head room,storage or even sleeping uptop. It has a 12 or 14K btu ac on top and Im going to put rails and storAGE rack for grannys (clampett's)rockin chair.There are disadvantages to the soft top and advantages too and i think the disadvantages exceed the advantages with the soft top. My rigs disadvantages are few...Hitting stuff if youre not paying attention, i never have and Im not the most cautious dufuss. That really about it.

My E250/(350 4x4 axles sprs) and my driveway

Old 02-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Rick1025
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I have 2 high top vans,a 2000 and a 2002. Neither has water issues or wind issues./ I also have a 95 with a regular top so I have something to compare to. My biggest complaint is finding a car wash that will accommodate them. The 2002 is a Quigley with a 4" lift and it actually handles better than the 2000.All 3 are E350s with 9700lb GVW

Old 02-26-2016, 07:02 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Ive had none of the issues mentioned in the above post and I have over 150K mi on it.
Just be aware of low hanging stuff ,thats all!
Ive had mine on since new,but it was installed by Ford or farmed out when new. It is taller and is 6" body lift approx and suffers no disadvantages You just have to be aware of your ht. It keeps in the heaters heat better,theres more room to walk,storage or even sleep under. It isnt effected by winds,rain,snow,doesnt wear out from like the fold tops will.It has a 12 or 14K btu ac on top and Im going to put rails and storAGE rack on top. Height limits are the only issue ive experienced. Parking garages some driveup windows in banks or fast food places and a low limb or two,but the advantages ive listed far exceed the height disadvantage.

My van and my driveway

Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My first 2 vans were Turtle Top camper conversions. That setup was a 4" high fiberglass top that could be raised about 18" with soft sides.

When they got old, the tops would go concave and get stress cracks in them...eventually they would leak water into the headliner padding and turn the van into a musty mold pit. Because they were just clamped down onto the steel roof, the Turtle Tops would creak and shake when going over washboard roads, etc.

I am assuming the larger and taller tops like those you are looking at would not go concave, but if you keep the van outdoors, the fiberglass may not hold paint as well as the factory roof. And if the fiberglass is of lower quality, it can start stress cracking in its old age especially if you live in the hot sun.

I would also be concerned about structural integrity if I were to roll the van over or down a cliff--I don't like the loss of the steel u-channel braces keeping the box square. Also more unstable in a sidewind. And in Michigan, I REALLY like being able to run any vehicle thru a regular car wash rack with an undercarriage flush in the winter to get the salt off.

Good luck,
George

Old 03-01-2016, 03:34 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
My first 2 vans were Turtle Top camper conversions. That setup was a 4" high fiberglass top that could be raised about 18" with soft sides.

When they got old, the tops would go concave and get stress cracks in them...eventually they would leak water into the headliner padding and turn the van into a musty mold pit. Because they were just clamped down onto the steel roof, the Turtle Tops would creak and shake when going over washboard roads, etc.

I am assuming the larger and taller tops like those you are looking at would not go concave, but if you keep the van outdoors, the fiberglass may not hold paint as well as the factory roof. And if the fiberglass is of lower quality, it can start stress cracking in its old age especially if you live in the hot sun.

I would also be concerned about structural integrity if I were to roll the van over or down a cliff--I don't like the loss of the steel u-channel braces keeping the box square. Also more unstable in a sidewind. And in Michigan, I REALLY like being able to run any vehicle thru a regular car wash rack with an undercarriage flush in the winter to get the salt off.

Good luck,
George
Oh hell yes,mmajor crush Im afraid.No 5 star crash ratings here ,theres too much weight for a framless cap to not turn to dust and then add in the extra forces created from a moving mass.
Side winds solution...slow down.Youd be supprised what a few mph does to stability in wind and a long list of other situations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High top roofs