6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Y-pipe to turbo hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:56 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DickNitro
Well the good news is i've managed to loosen the most accessible bolt on each side. The real question is how the &@%#* do I get to the top bolts without the half moon wrench? I can't even get my hand in them small spaces.
If they're in with the 13mm nuts on top it's a REAL PIA. Mine are turned with the 10mm bolt head on top so I can use a 10mm flex head gear wrench to let it lock against the pipe as I unscrew it from the bottom. A blue tip wrench comes to mind in your situation.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I had no luck with loosening the bolts at the manifold HOWEVER I loosened the pedestal bolts and it was easy as Pie to mate the turbo to the y-pipe! This will be my preferred method from here on out for sure!

The bad news is that I'm still overboosting with a totally different turbo... I saw an EBP sensor circuit intermittent code but I've ran with a bad ebp before I thought with no issues. It's an 04.5 btw so the ebp is not inferred (I don't think). I guess I'll try to change/clean that again for the second time this year.

My vgt% used to be 40%-60% and now it's 55%-75%. I'm carefully feathering the accelerator to not go over 25 psi boost while driving. I have Good maf readings and map just no ebp. Maybe my actuator dowel rod is is 1 tooth off for both turbos? My last turbo was stuck and I romped on it to brake it free with high temps. It freed it but thats where my problems began.... I'm wondering if I punched a tooth out. I thought I had this licked but I'm right back where I started. Right now i'm experiencing the bittersweet feeling of "close but no cigar" as I'm sure all of you have felt.

All help is appreciated

-Dick

Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Y-pipe to turbo hell

I ran 70 miles a day for two weeks running 20 to 28 lbs of boost. Other then the mpg being cap it ran pretty good

NOTE: I knew I was putting it in the shop

I know how you feel too. Cleaned the turbo and still had the problem--on mine I haven't found out yet what it was.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
I ran 70 miles a day for two weeks running 20 to 28 lbs of boost. Other then the mpg being cap it ran pretty good

NOTE: I knew I was putting it in the shop
Yeah it actually has awesome giddup and go, it just sounds like a jet airplane to the point of people looking. Yeah mpg's are smashed.What did you do with yours?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Put it in to get hg done. But the turbo thing started when my ebp went bad from getting soaked with coolant. No problem I'll unplug it like I did last time and it will fix it. It didn't (runs off of default) so I pulled the turbo and cleaned it. Put it back in and same problem only acted different. Vgts had a mind of their own so I just left it to let the shop figure it out. Plus side I have a rebuild kit on hand if I need it as the turbo had no bad seals. I was suspecting a bad vgt or unison ring (just the place where the actuator pin moves the ring) but we'll see. I did have them put in a new vgt pig tail,ebp,and ebp pig tail.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

So I had no luck with loosening the bolts at the manifold HOWEVER I loosened the pedestal bolts and it was easy as Pie to mate the turbo to the y-pipe! This will be my preferred method from here on out for sure!

The bad news is that I'm still overboosting with a totally different turbo... I saw an EBP sensor circuit intermittent code but I've ran with a bad ebp before I thought with no issues. It's an 04.5 btw so the ebp is not inferred (I don't think). I guess I'll try to change/clean that again for the second time this year.

My vgt% used to be 40%-60% and now it's 55%-75%. I'm carefully feathering the accelerator to not go over 25 psi boost while driving. I have Good maf readings and map just no ebp. Maybe my actuator dowel rod is is 1 tooth off for both turbos? My last turbo was stuck and I romped on it to brake it free with high temps. It freed it but thats where my problems began.... I'm wondering if I punched a tooth out. I thought I had this licked but I'm right back where I started. Right now i'm experiencing the bittersweet feeling of "close but no cigar" as I'm sure all of you have felt.

All help is appreciated

-Dick
AFA the turbo being "one tooth off" there's not a way for that to happen. Your problem isn't your turbo, it's the EBP sensor not reading. Without it the PCM is using default values to adjust your boost. The VGT% is a requested value, not an actual value.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Well just comfirmed---ebp was my problem even being unplugged.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:10 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
FYI for loosing nuts and bolts use the PB Blaster,Kroil or the DIY
transmission fluid and acetone mixture. WD40 is really useless in
for this application. You want something to penetrate.

The first time I ever R&R a turbo I used the instructions in the Ford
shop manual and some advise from SrMasterTech. It came out easy
and I only a bit of trouble getting the drain seated right the first time.
Once I had that done all the sealing surfaces lined right up and sealed.
Turbo clamps first and then the up pipe bolts.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 02-27-2016, 12:13 PM
56fordfella
Posting Guru
Just the information I needed. Got everything back together and low and behold leaking clamp at the y-pipe to turbo. Thanks to all for sharing, now to see which method works for my turbo.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM
DickNitro
Junior User

All help is appreciated

-Dick
Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas here. I now have the following codes

P0472
P0473
P0470
P0299

When I get the P0473 (ebp valve fail) the vgt goes to straight to 15% (open vanes). Vgt returns after restarting the truck. I checked the ebp sensor and tube. No obvious chafing on the pig tail but looks very old. I have removed the mount for the old style ebp from the thermostat because I accidentally bought a newer style ebp sensor 2k ago and had to thread directly into the 1/4" tube. Since the mount is gone, I think it may have vibrated itself bonkers.

I should also mention that this turbo is freshly cleaned and is from another vehicle with 50k on it. I find it odd that the same thing is happening with 2 separate turbos. Maf readings are normal as well as baro and IAT. My edge has never read EBP values but I will check with AEP and cycle the vgt% later.

All thoughts are appreciated!

-Dick

Old 03-09-2016, 11:50 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Replace the EBP sensor, that should cure the p0299 as that is an underboost code. Your getting every code for a bad EBP sensor.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:52 AM
DickNitro
Junior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Replace the EGR valve, that should cure the p0299 as that is an underboost code.
I should also mention that my Egr is deleted.
I'm assuming that code comes from the delete?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry... I corrected my post. Your EBP sensor is bad.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:00 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Sorry... I corrected my post. Your EBP sensor is bad.
Gotcha... I'll re install the mount and put the old pipe thread sensor in to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the replies. I will post again after

Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas here. I now have the following codes

P0472
P0473
P0470
P0299

When I get the P0473 (ebp valve fail) the vgt goes to straight to 15% (open vanes). Vgt returns after restarting the truck. I checked the ebp sensor and tube. No obvious chafing on the pig tail but looks very old. I have removed the mount for the old style ebp from the thermostat because I accidentally bought a newer style ebp sensor 2k ago and had to thread directly into the 1/4" tube. Since the mount is gone, I think it may have vibrated itself bonkers.

I should also mention that this turbo is freshly cleaned and is from another vehicle with 50k on it. I find it odd that the same thing is happening with 2 separate turbos. Maf readings are normal as well as baro and IAT. My edge has never read EBP values but I will check with AEP and cycle the vgt% later.

All thoughts are appreciated!

-Dick
I'm with Randy. I'd replace the pigtail too.

Quick Reply: Y-pipe to turbo hell