Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

external fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:20 AM
HEYSTRAW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
external fuel pump

I had to replace the fuel pump on my ex yukon(97) twice and now on my 2001 E350 Winnebago Minnie motor home and I hate intank fuel pumps, there so hard to change / service / whatever and that's where the primary fuel filter is, Soooo, I remove the stalled fuel pump and modified the hanger, https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2c&usp=sharing and I'm moving the fuel pump outside the tank, just like on my Joyner Trooper. I am making an assumption the the fuel pressure regulator on my Ford acts the same as the one on my Trooper and bypasses the excess fuel the pump supplies, thus keeping the correct fuel pressure to the engine, I think this pump can put out about 75 psi when dead headed and guessing at 50 to 100 gallon per hour, any one see any problems,
I'll be adding photos to my google Drive as I go, to have and to share.
Jeff

Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Jeff, I moved this post to here from the 1980-86 section where you placed it, I hope people here would be better equipped to talk about a 2001 E350-based motor home.... what engine do you have?

Art - please move it elsewhere if you see fit....

Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM
HEYSTRAW
New User
external fuel pump on motor home with Triton V10

Thought I posted this, ow well I lose lots of stuff, OOOOPs to putting it in the wrong place, I has a Triton V10.
I got the tank back up and bolted in place and the pump hooked up, but still dangling, and when I went to try it out, the battery went dead, so now it's on the charger and I was cold and tire and very dirty, I came in to shower and eat. Tomorrow, I'll check connections and give it another try, & if it works, I'll take some more photos and button every thing up and maybe start getting it ready to camping where it's warmer. I don't think this thing was ever driven in the rain or driven over a sprinkler, every time I came out from under it, I l was filthy with what looks like the dust of tires wearing out. Washed off easy though.
Jeff

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2016, 09:09 PM
HEYSTRAW
New User
Took a shower, had dinner, TV, sleep and finished up today, works like it's supposed to, and if the pump ever fails again, it'll be a lot less work to fix. Added photos to my google drive, https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2c&usp=sharing

Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Why do you worry about what looks to be a hose clamp?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:40 PM
HEYSTRAW
New User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Why do you worry about what looks to be a hose clamp?
There is no hump or barbs to hold the hose on, just friction from the tightened hose clamp and it is on the pressure side of the pump.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM
firebirdparts
Mountain Pass
Those pumps are centrifugal, so it won't prime itself. That is a general issue with relocating these outside the fuel tank. At least it should be. If the tank has a bottom outlet, then it would work fine, and once you get fuel in it, it should work.

P.S. I found out Volvos have a hole in the floor, and you just take a few screws off and it's right there. You might think that wouldn't safe, but they thought it was okay.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:36 AM
HEYSTRAW
New User
You may be correct about priming if every thing was bone dry to start out, but once primed, and if I don't run it out of gas, I'm sure it will be fine. With it mounted high like it is on a cross member, a bottom feed would make any difference, I would have to move the pump lower and I don't know where I could put it to accomplish that.
I also think that once this type of pump has been wetted with fuel, they will move air enough so they will reprime if I run it out of gas.
Good points though, I'm going out with it this week end and if I have a problem, I'll certainly post it.
Thanks, Jeff
PS, about your PS about volvos, My 97 Yukon had the same thing, it sure made changing pumps easier, after I cut a hole for it under the rear seat, just should have cut it bigger for even easier access. If I were to do it again, I would just close the hole with duct tape. Can't do that on my RV.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 PM
HEYSTRAW
New User
Put about a 1000 miles on it since last on site, not a single problem with pump, how ever, I did have a problem with my driving, backed up over an embankment with a trailer attached, fully jack knifed, rolled it over and backed onto it. Had to replace, after being pulled out by a wrecker, but the pump worked flawlessly, before and after.