1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2010 stock stereo swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 stock stereo swap

Hey all,
I want to replace the stock radio in my 2010 cargo van with the radio/CD/AUX from a passenger van.

I was wondering if this is just a simple swap? Does the AUX in wiring just plug into the radio or is it part of the main harness?

Also, on a bit of a side note, is there a trick to popping out the 12v outlet from the dash panel????

any help would be great!
Thanks
Mike

Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motorcarmike
Hey all,
I want to replace the stock radio in my 2010 cargo van with the radio/CD/AUX from a passenger van.

I was wondering if this is just a simple swap? Does the AUX in wiring just plug into the radio or is it part of the main harness?

Also, on a bit of a side note, is there a trick to popping out the 12v outlet from the dash panel????

any help would be great!
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike, the outer shell on my cigarette lighter unscrews from the back of the panel. The aftermarket power outlets I added had clips.

Can't help on the stereo or bumper swap, sorry.
jim

Cigarette lighter backshell.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Hey all,

Something to know and remember is "passenger van" and "cargo van" as it relates to the E-Series vans are one and the same in about 95% of factory-fitted options. The only difference is the trim level or features added to the base vehicle. So that being said........

If you simply buy the factory radio with wanted features it should be a straight swap. To be safe remove the existing radio and photograph the existing connectors both in the radio chassis and the connector faces or pins too. Go to eBay, find something you want that shows the same type connectors and you're good to go.

Beginning about 2003 the power port and lighter outlets were a bit different than Jim shows----they snap into place and have slightly better power/ground connectors than our earlier types had.

Remove the dash trim to access the back side and compress the expanding tabs holding the body of the outlet to that trim.

Just curious why do those need removed?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Something to know and remember is "passenger van" and "cargo van" as it relates to the E-Series vans are one and the same in about 95% of factory-fitted options. The only difference is the trim level or features added to the base vehicle. So that being said........

If you simply buy the factory radio with wanted features it should be a straight swap. To be safe remove the existing radio and photograph the existing connectors both in the radio chassis and the connector faces or pins too. Go to eBay, find something you want that shows the same type connectors and you're good to go.

Beginning about 2003 the power port and lighter outlets were a bit different than Jim shows----they snap into place and have slightly better power/ground connectors than our earlier types had.

Remove the dash trim to access the back side and compress the expanding tabs holding the body of the outlet to that trim.

Just curious why do those need removed?
Ok Ill have a loot at my radio before i head to the wreckers. The reason for the removal of the 12v port is that my van, being an ex plumbing van where noone cared about the work van, it looks like someone jammed something into the plug in and broke the front retaining ring and it now falls into the dash.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:07 PM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Hey all heres an update!

My 2010 e250 cargo van just had a radio in it. No CD, No Aux line in.

Heres the two radios, the base model only has one plug in.

I went to the wreckers and grabbed the factory double din radio from a 15 passenger. I also wanted the line in section in the dash. This piece is fused to the dash fascia...you can just drill a hole but i wanted the "line in" writing. I also needed the 12V plug in from the fascia so it was just as easy to swap out the whole fascia as well.

The AUX plug in is fed from a small harness that goes from the line in plug to the radio (smaller plug on the radio). This harness only has about 4 wires in it but it is wrapped in with the rest of the harness. The smaller plugin that goes into the stereo will have a bunch of other wires coming off it...not sure what they are for. I did not use them in my swap. I olny used the AUX wires.

Long story short, yes, you can add a factory Line in stereo to a base cargo van, you just need to add the harness.