6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Sticking Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 01:37 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticking Turbo Question

Hey guys,
I wanted to know, that if my turbo is sticking in the "open" position, will I be okay to drive it?

The VGT when Idling is 14-25, sometimes higher.

When cruising on the highway the VGT is showing 40-57.

So far the VGT wont show anything above above 60.

Here's my thinking : Turbo sticking open is still letting exhaust gases through; Turbo sticking closed builds up pressure to blow engine by not letting gases through.
Am I on the right path of thinking there?

I am was going to purchase a new turbo this late spring, since I just finished cleaning this one 2 weeks ago. The inspection did not look good at all.

Thanks - Preston

Old 02-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
As long as it doesn't over boost, i would say so

Old 02-20-2016, 02:29 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jmoen7
As long as it doesn't over boost, i would say so
Thanks. I was watching the boost. It all stayed in spec. Last time it was sticking closed. Now it's sticking open. At least if it's gonna stick, it's gonna stick open.

Now I have to have the conversation with my wife about getting a new turbo sooner.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What boost are you seeing wide open throttle, at high speed on a hill? You should be able to see 26-28 psi, but it will only do it at higher speed in higher gears to boost over 20 psi. Lower gears it should hit 20 on a hill. Did you use the antisieze with copper in it on the VGT vanes?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:58 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mhoefer
What boost are you seeing wide open throttle, at high speed on a hill? You should be able to see 26-28 psi, but it will only do it at higher speed in higher gears to boost over 20 psi. Lower gears it should hit 20 on a hill. Did you use the antisieze with copper in it on the VGT vanes?
I did not use any antiseize. I decided to run it dry. I have some pitting going on, on the exhaust side of the turbo.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 242 Likes on 188 Posts
What are you using to monitor the VGT? On the Scan-gauge at least, the numbers you are giving are backwards, typically VGT starts high in the low 80s at idle and will drop as the vanes open. I think fully open is around 30.

Also, the "VGT" display is only the command % that the PCM is giving to the VGT actuator. I don't believe there is any feedback from the VGT telling the PCM what the VGT is actually doing. I don't think just watching the VGT will tell you if the turbo is sticking.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:18 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FiveOJester
What are you using to monitor the VGT? On the Scan-gauge at least, the numbers you are giving are backwards, typically VGT starts high in the low 80s at idle and will drop as the vanes open. I think fully open is around 30.

Also, the "VGT" display is only the command % that the PCM is giving to the VGT actuator. I don't believe there is any feedback from the VGT telling the PCM what the VGT is actually doing. I don't think just watching the VGT will tell you if the turbo is sticking.
I am using my scangauge 2. I am aware of how the numbers read. As that's what I posted in my original post. Also, these percentages are the only thing many of us have to go off of for telling if the turbo is sticking.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:46 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you got that tuning to make the vanes move every 10 minutes or something like that?

I can get mine to just under 25 on hard throttle but not 14 and normal idle around 70'ish.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:46 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Boost readings with vgt%????

Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Boost readings with vgt%????
1st: vgt 30 psi 20
2nd: psi 22
3rd: psi 22-24
4th: vgt 30 psi 26-28
5th : psi 24

Multiple test done. Hard to looks at the readings and be speeding at the same time.

All at WOT

Old 02-20-2016, 06:12 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
It looks to me that you don't have a problem, this is what I would expect to see with a normally acting VGT. As long as your boost is building to 20 and 28 respectively I don't see that you have a problem. Are you getting epany black smoke? If not, you are likely good. A small amount of black smoke at initial wide open throttle apwhich dpfades to zero is fine too, expspecially if you have a FICM 40 Hp tune, like I do.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:24 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
It looks to me that you don't have a problem, this is what I would expect to see with a normally acting VGT. As long as your boost is building to 20 and 28 respectively I don't see that you have a problem. Are you getting epany black smoke? If not, you are likely good. A small amount of black smoke at initial wide open throttle apwhich dpfades to zero is fine too, expspecially if you have a FICM 40 Hp tune, like I do.
No black smoke at all, ever.
My concern isn't with the vgt duty while driving. More of at idle. At idle it is in the low 20's to teens. I can also hear a difference in the idling, as in all throaty sound no turbo whistle like at normal.operation. Also when the vgt is at 14 -25 while idling and then I take off the turbo lags HARD. These are my concerns.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I suspect my truck is having similar issues. How is your fuel consumption? The only thing that worries me about driving it like that is I'm seeing 8.5-9.0 mpg and a little concerned about unburned fuel causing soot to build up quickly and the fuel possibly washing the oil from the cylinders.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I suspect my truck is having similar is2sues. How is your fuel consumption? The only thing that worries me about driving it like that is I'm seeing 8.5-9.0 mpg and a little concerned about unburned fuel causing soot to build up quickly and the fuel possibly washing the oil from the cylinders.
Rusty,
The fuel consumption was exactly what I was thinking of today. Today is the first day of this going on. But given I drive 76 miles round to work , Monday - Friday, I will soon find out.

I know, by the condition of the turbo when I cleaned it, that it is a matter of fact that it needs to be replaced, and it is sticking.

Just not sticking as bad as before cleaning it.

Where are you concerned about the soot being built up?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:23 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talk about mpg taking a dive. When my ebp sensor went out this time i could tell right away. Then with the turbo sticking (running boost like your going up a hill pulling 15k but actually unloaded ) it was cut to half. Same as you no smoke. Pistons were sooted like crazy but that could be normal i suppose.

Quick Reply: Sticking Turbo Question