2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Rough Idle / Low Idle / Low Power at under 1k miles with no CES Light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle / Low Idle / Low Power at under 1k miles with no CES Light?

So I was in my 2016 3.5 EcoBoost F150 with my wife getting some pizza. Well she was in the store and I was sitting in the truck.

Out of nowhere the idle suddenly felt very unsmooth - ropey or lumpy like it was missing out. I could feel it every few seconds in my seat and when I got out and popped the hood I could see the engine visibly moving around - maybe 1mm of movement every 3 to 5 seconds or something like that.

I believe it was idling around 500 RPM at this point which seems a bit low - driving down my street doing 20mph the truck feels like it wants to die. When I press the gas it feels like there is no power...

But there is no CES / Check Engine light on...?

I already called the dealer - wind noise, mis-aligned body panels, leaking transfer case seal, thudding on accel/decel due to drive shaft slip yoke and now rough idle/lack of power.

I have 961 miles on the truck - I have to say I'm becoming more and more disappointed. I do love it - the tech, the aluminum body panels, etc - but I have a bad feeling at this point.

Any ideas on what this may be [so at least I'm somewhat informed when I roll into the dealer tomorrow]? To me this sounds like a fouled plug or a failing coil.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I've noticed the same idle issue a couple of times. It doesn't bother me as being a defect, but more emissions related. I wonder if making a driveabilty complaint will solve the issue.

When I had my 2008 V10, there were a few who reported similar issues. Myself included. It was due to the way the factory tuned the engine. After a reflash it was a different vehicle.

Do you have 50 states emissions listed on your window sticker? I do and I wonder if that is part of the problem.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
This doesn't feel anything like emissions - I can't think of an emissions system on the truck that would cause such behavior [but then again, I am here asking for advice].

Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM
JKBrad
The EPA emissions tests are crazy and getting crazier all the time. Emissions at idle, part throttle, full throttle etc. It's no wonder the manufacturers have gone to electronic throttles, as it makes it easier for the computer to control the little variables that keep the vehicle compliant, among other things. I honestly understand why VW did what they did, and I personally don't have a problem with it.

I have found the issue has lessened as the miles go on. I have 3300 now. At your 900 miles, it seems like you make short trips. At 750 miles or so, I really opened it up and drove it hard. Full throttle launches and ran it that way up to the speed limiter a few times. This engine really likes to run. Soon I will tow my boat, usually a 400 mile round trip.

I am monitoring my issue, but honestly I'm not too concerned at this point. I would be interested to hear what the results of a driveabilty complaint would result in though. It's your lack of throttle response that would have me concerned.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It sounds like you are well prepared for your visit to the service department.

It could be a computer issue like you mentioned in your earlier post.

The rest of you list may take some time for the repairs. I hope they give you a loaner, I donʻt think all these jobs can be done in a day.

By all means keep us posted.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
I don't make short trips. 30+ miles every time it's fired up. I've only had it 2 or 3 weeks.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
We don't drive a "lot" of miles; we're at a little over 6,400 miles at 7 months old. I use it for my DD on days off, and typically drive it down the mountain, then back up on each outing. R/T is usually about 30-40 miles depending on errands and such.

It idles at closer to 600 RPM, and is smooth as silk. No hiccups, no shakes. My only driveability complaint is that the transmission "usually" picks too high a gear on the uphill trip (although it didn't do it today). When it does that, I often click the T/S/N button on the bottom of the shifter. A few hundred more RPM keeps her from bogging down.

I think your idle may be a bit low, or maybe you have a faulty sensor, or possibly some fuel issue?

Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Yup there is clearly an issue. Feels like fuel or spark.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Interesting Mike, haven't heard of or experienced this before. Let us know what the dealer says.

My truck also has misaligned doors and a bit of a clunk from the driveline, but I'm not really worried about it. I'd mention it if it went in for anything else, but not worth a trip to the dealer.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:30 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
I will definitely keep the thread updated.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
As I've reported before, mine drops a cylinder at idle every once in a while. Others have said there's does as well. But, it doesn't impact driveability nor power - just the smoothness at idle.

However, yours seems far more significant than that. Perhaps there are codes pending that they'll find.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:44 AM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Dropped it off 45 minutes ago. I'll keep the thread updated. I don't expect to hear back until this afternoon.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:10 AM
JKBrad
Is there a way to get the diagnostic mode to come up on our trucks? On my old truck and Crown Vic I could turn the key on, without starting, hold the odometer reset for 5 seconds then get all kinds surpising extra info to include real time voltage, coolant temps, DTCs, and a digtal speedo readout.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 AM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Is there a way to get the diagnostic mode to come up on our trucks? On my old truck and Crown Vic I could turn the key on, without starting, hold the odometer reset for 5 seconds then get all kinds surpising extra info to include real time voltage, coolant temps, DTCs, and a digtal speedo readout.
I have a Bluetooth OBD2 but I'm not sure where it's at.

They did say they applied an update to the software of the truck which may fix the idle issue. Need to get it up to temp an drive it to see if it helps they said.

Not looked into the other issues yet.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 AM
MikeDVB
Senior User
The dealer said the seal looked fine and that they replaced a flange (service writer talking) but they weren't specific over the phone. They said they took it for a drive and the seal remained dry.

They sent it across the street to the body shop for the wind noise which they did hear.

As far as the clunking - we'll see if it's still there when I get to pick it up.

The software update covers rough starts, rough idle, lack of power off the line when warmed up and a couple of other issues.

I'll get all of the details from the paperwork when I pick it up. They said it should be this evening or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle / Low Idle / Low Power at under 1k miles with no CES Light?