1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Air conditioning - coyote

Old 02-16-2016, 09:57 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning - coyote

So one of the last major purchases I need to make for my truck is the AC (and PS). So I've been looking around and from what I can tell, it's a MAJOR expense:

All come with some nice dressings, power steering, AC and in some cases tensioners. From what I can tell with the Vintage Air route, you have to actually cut and drill the coyote block (page 4, 6 http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/904097.pdf), something I would really like to avoid as I have no doubt it voids the warranty.

Are these the only routes with the coyote crate engine?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Jerry. I had originally planned to use the vintage air Frontrunner kit you mentioned. I did some research on it as well. I found a video and they show you exactly what need to be done to install the kit. Skip to the 5:30 minute mark.

I think Rimrock used the March kit.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
That video is awesome - thanks!

You say you planned to use the vintage frontrunner kit - does that mean you decided to go a different route?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jerry, Nick,

I used the Vintage Air frontrunner kit on mine, it's a nice set up. As I recall, I had to grind off a tab, and drill and tap a hole or two.
Wasn't a big deal. There was a factory problem with mine where a couple of other holes hadn't been properly threaded, so I had to run
a tap through them as well, but that was apparently a limited issue, and has been resolved. The dealer called me and let me know about the
problem right away, before I had installed it. All in all, it's a pretty nice kit, albeit an expensive one.

Bruce

Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 AM
BDYY
Junior User
I am in the process of wrapping up my Coyote motor in my 53. I went with the KRC power steering setup. Eventually I will run AC with a stock Ford setup on the AC compressor using the stretch-to-fit belt. This is by far the cheapest route to go and still be reliable. I am making custom power steering hoses this week, so hopefully the truck will be driveable in the next few weeks (still have to finish brakes too). I don't mind sharing more information to anyone that needs it. Just PM me.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
That installation video was a good tool for anyone looking to buy/install this kit. I had a couple of issues though; it is all well and good to install the serpentine belt during this install with the engine on a stand, but it gives me pause to think about how much effort it will be to replace that belt when the time comes. Having a belt BEHIND the mounting bracket is really going to be a major PITA to work with in an assembled truck. The second issue is the with the installation of stainless steel bolts into aluminum with no anti-seize...this is a BIG no-no.

I realize that this kit is designed to pack 10 LBS in a 5 LBS bag...and for that they have done an outstanding job. If anyone questions the price they need to consider the NRE "non-recurring engineering" costs involved in the development of this kit. Mechanical engineers, drafters, CAD, CNC, on and on...mucho dinero.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:01 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Chuck - that was my next question - belts. Are these kits using special order belts? If I go with the vintage air and the belt brakes, do I have to order the replacement only from them? What about the March Performance system?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jerry_s
So one of the last major purchases I need to make for my truck is the AC (and PS). So I've been looking around and from what I can tell, it's a MAJOR expense:

All come with some nice dressings, power steering, AC and in some cases tensioners. From what I can tell with the Vintage Air route, you have to actually cut and drill the coyote block (page 4, 6 http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/904097.pdf), something I would really like to avoid as I have no doubt it voids the warranty.

Are these the only routes with the coyote crate engine?
I'm using the March system on mine. I chose it for a couple reasons. I t included the Alternator, PS pump and AC compressor. Most others do not include the Alternator. It uses the stock Ford Alternator and comes with the ford belt for same. The alternator is driven by a different belt than the PS,AC so if you loose this belt the Alternator and water pump still work. Belts can be replaced without removing brackets. The Vintage Air system has a bracket low on the right side and since 48-52 trucks have a 2" narrower frame I was concerned about clearance.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:17 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Mike

Did you have to modify the block at all for the March system? I have all the tools to do so, but if I can avoid having to cut it, drill it, and tap it, I would prefer to leave it as is.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Interesting question and one that I recently asked of the rep from V/A myself. Here is a photo of the belt on my 351W engine showing the belt and numbers on it. As it turns out, there is a standard practice for numbering serpentine belts...the "6PK" means that this belt has 6 ribs. The "1525" means that the belt is 1,525 MM in length. So using this info I can go to any manufacturer/parts store and buy a 6PK1525 belt and it will work on my V/A Frontrunner setup. The nice thing about this is that if I should change something in this front accessory package that may change the length of the serpentine belt, say a different alternator pulley size, I can measure the length of the new belt needed and buy that belt by making up the new part number.

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
I contacted March Performance and they make the parts right here in the USA (big plus) and it's all bolt on, so I'll likely go for them. I'll have an extra alternator (boss version), but I'm OK with that. I maybe able to sell it for close to what I paid.

That's some good info on the belts too!

Old 02-17-2016, 03:56 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
March has always been a great company with solid products. Not the cheapest but worth it

Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That video is awesome - thanks!

You say you planned to use the vintage frontrunner kit - does that mean you decided to go a different route?
Jerry, I ended up just using a factory Ford a/c compressor. It bolts on to the engine with out a bracket. Just need bolts. I am using electric p/s. But that is another option to consider. You could use the factory Ford ac compressor with the Hyland ac fittings for it and then the Hyland P/S pump kit. I believe they offer a ps kit to work with the factory ford ac.

I think my ac compressor was around 300 at the dealer. Came ready to go with the clutch installed.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
I contacted March Performance and they make the parts right here in the USA (big plus) and it's all bolt on, so I'll likely go for them. I'll have an extra alternator (boss version), but I'm OK with that. I maybe able to sell it for close to what I paid.

That's some good info on the belts too!
I see you already got the answer about modifications, there are none. I did have a couple problems with it which they took care of and Have since corrected.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:42 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

iI used VA with alternator/PS etc. included and it worked out great on my 302.
TractormanBill