Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Remote Access App (Android)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:16 AM
mynetdude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Access App (Android)

I thought if I had remote start I could use the app to start my truck but there seems to be confusion that I can't? Ford says I need the security package, but now they are saying that since I already have remote start I should be able to use the app? My truck is in My Ford Owners but when I go to use the remote acc app no vehicle show up and I can't log out on the app which is weird.

This is for the '16 F150 P+FX4

Old 02-11-2016, 07:59 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
What's the yearly charge for using the app?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 AM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by scott91370
What's the yearly charge for using the app?

idk; I'd like to know that as well but I can't even get it to work LOL

Old 02-12-2016, 07:12 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Doesn't this need to be installed?

Remote Access | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

Josh

Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Doesn't this need to be installed?

Remote Access | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

Josh
idk; I thought having remote start, and the alarm feature already installed is the same thing as the part you mentioned ^^ Ford customer service seems to think so, but they referred me to another number to call for further tech support related to Sync+apps.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Bullitt390

I was curious about the same thing and was under the impression the smart phone used different hardware than the key fob.

Josh

Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
I was curious about the same thing and was under the impression the smart phone used different hardware than the key fob.

Josh
um its not the smartphone that needs hardware; the truck needs to have certain hardware installed. The app on the phone uses the internet I believe, but I will be asking more about this when I have time.

my truck already has the remote start and alarm so I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Bullitt390

Well, it isn't rocket science...

Ford Custom Accessories | Remote Access

It's seperate hardware and a paid subscription service. You're asking the vehicle to be connected via wifi 24/7. There is nothing to indicate our trucks come delivered with this hardware already installed.

Josh

Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Well, it isn't rocket science...

Ford Custom Accessories | Remote Access

It's seperate hardware and a paid subscription service. You're asking the vehicle to be connected via wifi 24/7. There is nothing to indicate our trucks come delivered with this hardware already installed.

Josh
errr... again... my truck has all of that, it has wifi built in.

the chevy vehicles require no wifi for this to work, I had a chevy camaro; the app would contact onstar center, the center would relay the command to the vehicle through a cell tower...

So yeah maybe I do need this stupid hardware $400 and however much the sub is... think I'll pass for now.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:04 PM
JeremyT
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My understanding is that the phone app can transfer the commands via WiFi or cellular data to Ford's servers from your phone, but the truck itself must have the cellular hardware to receive those signals and send to confirm. The truck isn't using WiFi.

Ford's information is a little vague, but you can make the above determination as it clearly indicates that the vehicle must be in a 3G or 4G area:

"The Remote Access device in your vehicle must be located in an area with 3G or 4G cellular data coverage."

So the truck isn't using WiFi. 3G and 4G is a cellular network.

Originally Posted by mynetdude
errr... again... my truck has all of that, it has wifi built in.

the chevy vehicles require no wifi for this to work, I had a chevy camaro; the app would contact onstar center, the center would relay the command to the vehicle through a cell tower...

So yeah maybe I do need this stupid hardware $400 and however much the sub is... think I'll pass for now.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:10 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by JeremyT
My understanding is that the phone app can transfer the commands via WiFi or cellular data to Ford's servers from your phone, but the truck itself must have the cellular hardware to receive those signals and send to confirm. The truck isn't using WiFi.

Ford's information is a little vague, but you can make the above determination as it clearly indicates that the vehicle must be in a 3G or 4G area:

"The Remote Access device in your vehicle must be located in an area with 3G or 4G cellular data coverage."

So the truck isn't using WiFi. 3G and 4G is a cellular network.
ok now that makes more sense, since that's what Chevy does with their Onstar, it uses 3G/4G cellular data, so yes another piece of hardware is needed to be installed (its basically a plug and play module IIRC).

Oh, and from what Ford says... this module is not covered under the new vehicle warranty if its installed after purchase

its a nice feature to have, and I may eventually have it installed because I can't exactly remote start from my apartment that easily assuming I get the same parking space every time when I come home; and I don't so that makes it that much more difficult.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 PM
JeremyT
Junior User
A little less clear is activation. My understanding is that if the truck already has Remote Start, like yous, it's pretty much a Plug and Play although you need to have the activation codes sent. Apparently that can be done through email or phone.

But if your truck doesn't have Remote Start, then you also need to visit the dealer to enable that feature on top of the above.

Ford-Trucks has a vendor that sells the modules required and will also activate it for you via phone or email.

ok now that makes more sense, since that's what Chevy does with their Onstar, it uses 3G/4G cellular data, so yes another piece of hardware is needed to be installed (its basically a plug and play module IIRC).

Oh, and from what Ford says... this module is not covered under the new vehicle warranty if its installed after purchase

its a nice feature to have, and I may eventually have it installed because I can't exactly remote start from my apartment that easily assuming I get the same parking space every time when I come home; and I don't so that makes it that much more difficult.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:27 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
A little less clear is activation. My understanding is that if the truck already has Remote Start, like yous, it's pretty much a Plug and Play although you need to have the activation codes sent. Apparently that can be done through email or phone.

But if your truck doesn't have Remote Start, then you also need to visit the dealer to enable that feature on top of the above.

Ford-Trucks has a vendor that sells the modules required and will also activate it for you via phone or email.
ok I'm confused... are you saying I already have this module since I have remote start? So then all I need to do is have it activated? Wonder who their vendor is??? Gosh howcome they don't tell you this *****!?

Yes I realize that the little stuff and the computers aren't even made by Ford (interestingly... more than 50% of the truck isn't even made by Ford! ) only the drivetrain and the frame/body I believe are made by Ford (well they designed the truck too) its all the components that aren't made by Ford (brakes, lights, wiring, tailgate step, tailgate, all of those aren't even made by Ford.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM
JeremyT
Junior User
The Remote Start is required in addition to the Remote Access App if you want the ability to start the vehicle from your phone.

"Remote Start" is the key fob, with limited range, that you use to start your vehicle using your key fob.

You said you have the Remote Start because you have the key fob. So your vehicle is setup to remotely start. But you still need the Remote Access 3G/4G hardware (and the free app) and that 3G/4G hardware needs to be activated via email or phone.

What I was saying is those that don't have the Remote Start (key fob), then you need a visit to your Ford dealer to enable that option in the truck's vehicle on top of all the above.

I think Ford could have done a better job on this because I have seen a lot of confusion.

My truck is an 2015 XLT but I didn't have the 302 package that included the factory Remote Start fob. So my truck has an extra step than your truck to make the Remote Access work.

ok I'm confused... are you saying I already have this module since I have remote start? So then all I need to do is have it activated? Wonder who their vendor is??? Gosh howcome they don't tell you this *****!?

Yes I realize that the little stuff and the computers aren't even made by Ford (interestingly... more than 50% of the truck isn't even made by Ford! ) only the drivetrain and the frame/body I believe are made by Ford (well they designed the truck too) its all the components that aren't made by Ford (brakes, lights, wiring, tailgate step, tailgate, all of those aren't even made by Ford.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:56 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
The Remote Start is required in addition to the Remote Access App if you want the ability to start the vehicle from your phone.

"Remote Start" is the key fob, with limited range, that you use to start your vehicle using your key fob.

You said you have the Remote Start because you have the key fob. So your vehicle is setup to remotely start. But you still need the Remote Access 3G/4G hardware (and the free app) and that 3G/4G hardware needs to be activated via email or phone.

What I was saying is those that don't have the Remote Start (key fob), then you need a visit to your Ford dealer to enable that option in the truck's vehicle on top of all the above.

I think Ford could have done a better job on this because I have seen a lot of confusion.

My truck is an 2015 XLT but I didn't have the 302 package that included the factory Remote Start fob. So my truck has an extra step than your truck to make the Remote Access work.
oh ok so I still need the RA hardware then, since that still needs to be installed in addition to the RS that's already in it... gotcha so yeah I'll probably wait awhile then cuz its not just $400, there's the labor cost of getting it put in.

Quick Reply: Remote Access App (Android)