Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Trans cooler upgrade

Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 AM
GerritMaxwell
Freshman User
GerritMaxwell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trans cooler upgrade

Hi all,
The original trans cooler I believe has significant room for improvement.
We do a descent amount of stoplight to stoplight towing in the desert region.
Just deciding how to go about this.
Option A- remove and replace original cooler with larger newer (better design stacked plate/fin) cooler.
Option B- splice in another additional cooler while still using original.
Option C- remove original and replace with remote(electric fan style) cooler.
Anyone have any experience and results with sharing? Thoughts, ideas?
Is option A significant enough?
Option B just seems like a truck load (pun intended) of work to set up nicely.
Is option C, overkill? thought it would be good to put it on the thermostat, or toggle switch to flip on and off during traffic and heat. Plus maybe extra draw through radiator.
Thanks,
Gerrit

Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Briansshop
Elder User
Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.
I have 2 B&M supercoolers, one with a fan,on my 350. I do not use the radiator cooler.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The radiator cooler is the most efficient cooler in the package. Don't replace it, you lose a lot of cooling capacity.

In my opinion, formed from working as an automatic transmission cooling engineer for the last three years of my career at Ford, I recommend option A. And the cooler I recommend is one from a 2003-2007 6.0L F-Series truck.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Bird-Dog 250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are you having transmission problems or is it just something you want to do for the truck. When you do the job I would hard plumb it. Rubber hose works for a while but always seems to end up leaking.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
i always recommend buying a trans temp gauge first.install @ the test port.
if your getting higher than 225F there,then it's time to upgrade your cooler.if your not ever seeing over 225F your running good.
the E4OD trans cools very easy.it's the 4R100 with it's pump that doesn't flow so much (for efficiency increase) when the trans converter locks.the e4's pumps like a bugger.especially the '95+

Originally Posted by Briansshop View Post
I have 2 B&M supercoolers, one with a fan,on my 350. I do not use the radiator cooler.
your missing out on max cooling efficiency.aux air coolers can't compete with the water cooler.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Briansshop
Elder User
Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post

your missing out on max cooling efficiency.aux air coolers can't compete with the water cooler.
I realize that water is better than air,but I don't have any cooling problems.

The efficiency of the rad cooler isn't worth the risk of it failing and getting water in the trans.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:52 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Just did mine a couple of days ago, should have done it a couple of YEARS ago!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM
vochy
Senior User
vochy is starting off with a positive reputation.

I pulled this out of a early 2000's super duty at the JY.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Blurry94
Blurry94 has a great reputation on FTE.Blurry94 has a great reputation on FTE.Blurry94 has a great reputation on FTE.Blurry94 has a great reputation on FTE.
Over the years, I've read about leaky rear main seals, torque converter shudder upon lock-up and fuel tank cross-flow issues. But I have yet to read about the mass amounts of owners having issues with engine coolant getting into the transmission. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I just haven't seen it here, or on the other Ford truck forums I visit. I've had many Ford trucks, with automatic transmissions, and never had an encounter with a trans/engine coolant breach, or read it on other Ford truck forums that I frequent.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Briansshop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blurry94 View Post
Over the years, I've read about leaky rear main seals, torque converter shudder upon lock-up and fuel tank cross-flow issues. But I have yet to read about the mass amounts of owners having issues with engine coolant getting into the transmission. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I just haven't seen it here, or on the other Ford truck forums I visit. I've had many Ford trucks, with automatic transmissions, and never had an encounter with a trans/engine coolant breach, or read it on other Ford truck forums that I frequent.
There's a few mentions of failures here: Trans fluid thru radiator bypass ideas

You posted the same comment there. Also some posts from a guy that is a respected trans builder that recommends bypassing not only because of potential leakage, but because of clogging and restricting pump flow.

Just the fact that it's possible is enough to convince me. Trans is too expensive to chance it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
There's a few mentions of failures here: Trans fluid thru radiator bypass ideas

You posted the same comment there. Also some posts from a guy that is a respected trans builder that recommends bypassing not only because of potential leakage, but because of clogging and restricting pump flow.

Just the fact that it's possible is enough to convince me. Trans is too expensive to chance it.
I say your risk of overheating the trans from the air-oil coolers not getting enough air-flow is far higher than the in-tank cooler failing. Literally almost every single automatic transmission vehicle built in the past ~40 years uses an in-tank radiator cooler. If it were a huge problem, you'd see about it a lot more.

I've seen more transmissions burnt up from bypassed radiator coolers than I've seen radiator coolers plug or leak.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
run it both ways, ive run them without and with radiator and always run a temp gauge didnt notice much difference, other then when i had it going thru the radiator the engine overheated and took out the transmission also.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Briansshop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
I say your risk of overheating the trans from the air-oil coolers not getting enough air-flow is far higher than the in-tank cooler failing. Literally almost every single automatic transmission vehicle built in the past ~40 years uses an in-tank radiator cooler. If it were a huge problem, you'd see about it a lot more.

I've seen more transmissions burnt up from bypassed radiator coolers than I've seen radiator coolers plug or leak.
No risk of overheating mine. Both trucks have trans temp gauges and for the way I use the trucks, as I stated earlier,I have no trans cooling problems.

I admit it's not for everyone,and for the average driver the rad cooler is better. Just isn't for me.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Puddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud of
I ended up with a B&M supercooler. Overkill, but it works

Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post

this is the case,by a landslide.it's when the truck isn't always moving when them temps coming out of the converter can really heat up.
sure,an electric fan can help,but your really risk your trans.i wouldn't leave the vehicle sitting unattended while parked idling and i wouldn't let my guard down about watching the temp gauge.id also have two gauges,one to monitor the test port and another the converter outlet.
the risk to reward simply isn't there,to not run though the radiator.basically because it's all risk and no reward anyway.

No risk of overheating mine.
it's your truck.run it how ya want.but you owe it to yourself to acknowledge the fact that you have an increased risk of overheating your trans.knowing this,you'll be more prepared to keep an eye on things better.don't ever lend the truck out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans cooler upgrade

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.