1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

I want larger mirrors, not west coast.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Andy47130
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I want larger mirrors, not west coast.

1986 F 250 4x4 I don't like the mirrors. I am looking for mirrors that will fit the stock brackets, basically, taller with a blind spot mirror. I saw a picture of a truck with mirrors like I want so they exist or existed at one time.

I couldn't get the search function to work on this tablet and Google has not been my friend. I am new to this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You will have to tell us which mirrors you have as there aren't any "stock brackets". There are those that mount with 2 holes and some that mount with three holes, like these. So, we need to know what you have. Pictures?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here are the mirror types:

Old 02-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Andy47130
Mountain Pass
Here is what I have an a poorly drawn idea of what I want

Here is what I have and I drew on a photo in attempt to communicate what I think I want. I saw a picture of a truck with a similar mirror but can't find it for sale via Google.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,157 Likes on 1,830 Posts
And where can you find a Type 9 mirrors for anything less than an arm?
I am going to need a set for my truck.

BTW Type 10 mirror is a fender mounted trailer towing mirror. When pulling a wide trailer, like a travel trailer/camper, the stock mirrors are not out far enough to see behind the trailer. You fit the hook on the bottom at the wheel opening and then fit the 2 (1 is behind the mirror in picture) upper hooks on the fender top between hood & fender then take up on the turnbuckle.

My dad had a set we used on the Ford wagon when we would pull the travel trailer.
I use a set that fit on the doors. They hook at top where the glass is and the bottom hook is on rubber, you pull down and hook on the bottom of door to hold it tight.
Dave ----

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I don't see anything wrong with that mirror Andy other than not having a small blind spot mirror in the outside upper corner.
You can get peel n stick spots that work pretty good as I have used them on a few of my trucks mirrors.

Newer trucks have the mirror head like you pictured but I don't know how they mount to the doors.
Dave ----

Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy,

I think the mirror heads you want are made by...Grote? I do not know where you are located, but there is an outfit in Washington State called 6 Roblees, they would be the kind of place to find what you want...they carry accessory parts like mirrors and lights for Medium and Heavy duty trucks...check your local yellow pages for something similar.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have one of the OLD Napa auto parts stores nearby, go talk to them, tell them you think it may be a medium duty mirror head, and it may be in the Grote catalog. Take your drawn on pic and show them, or just draw it on a piece of paper. Oh, if you can find the guy that has been working there since it was built (or near enough), he is the guy you want to talk to. Too many of the kids working parts these days are lost if the computer will not give them the answer. The older fella know the catalogs...generally. I am not sure that they are Grote, that is just what sticks in my head.

I have seen the ones you are talking about, but not lately. For towing, I like west coasters, but I know that not everyone does.

Please post the info if you find them.

Cheers, and good luck!

Offio

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Andy47130
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I don't see anything wrong with that mirror Andy other than not having a small blind spot mirror in the outside upper corner.
You can get peel n stick spots that work pretty good as I have used them on a few of my trucks mirrors.

Newer trucks have the mirror head like you pictured but I don't know how they mount to the doors.
Dave ----
They are tiny compared to the size of the truck and I want a larger field of view for backing.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Andy47130
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Dirty Offio
Andy,

I think the mirror heads you want are made by...Grote? I do not know where you are located, but there is an outfit in Washington State called 6 Roblees, they would be the kind of place to find what you want...they carry accessory parts like mirrors and lights for Medium and Heavy duty trucks...check your local yellow pages for something similar.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have one of the OLD Napa auto parts stores nearby, go talk to them, tell them you think it may be a medium duty mirror head, and it may be in the Grote catalog. Take your drawn on pic and show them, or just draw it on a piece of paper. Oh, if you can find the guy that has been working there since it was built (or near enough), he is the guy you want to talk to. Too many of the kids working parts these days are lost if the computer will not give them the answer. The older fella know the catalogs...generally. I am not sure that they are Grote, that is just what sticks in my head.

I have seen the ones you are talking about, but not lately. For towing, I like west coasters, but I know that not everyone does.

Please post the info if you find them.

Cheers, and good luck!

Offio
I am okay with west coast mirrors, I could just but the screws back in the holes for these mirror mounts and install west coast mirrors but I would like to use the same brackets if possible.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Depending on what you want to spend, there is a decent set on Amazon for about $20 per side. They will rust in a few years, but they do a decent job.

If you want some dame good ones, get a set of RETRAC Jr. West coast mirrors. When you are not towing, you pull them inside the loop of the arm and flip them over. No big dondie mirrors hanging out to get knocked around when you are not towing. Love my Retracs, but they are around $100 per side. I will see if I can post a link: Univ Jr WC Assembles08

They used to offer the arms in Stainless and white, but they dropped the stainless option. (drag)

Amazon ones:
Amazon.com: **** 47500, JR. West Coast Mirror and Bracket: Automotive Amazon.com: **** 47500, JR. West Coast Mirror and Bracket: Automotive

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM
redbayredneck
Senior User

I have that style mirror on my truck, they were on it when I purchased it so I don't know who made them.

I'm not a fan, so mine will be replaced with stock mirrors asap. I'd offer to sell them, but the passenger side blind spot mirror is broke.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:51 AM
Andy47130
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
And where can you find a Type 9 mirrors for anything less than an arm?
I am going to need a set for my truck.

Dave ----
Ebay has them fairy reasonable under $40 each.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:55 AM
Andy47130
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by redbayredneck

I'm not a fan, so mine will be replaced with stock mirrors asap. I'd offer to sell them, but the passenger side blind spot mirror is broke.
What do you not like about them?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
They look TOO BIG for the truck.
They also would create a blind spot for any thing behind the mirrors.
Also that big thing is going to put a lot of stress on the litter stock brackets that are only screwed to sheetmetal. The stock mirrors pull out the screws.

Don't get me wrong I am all for good mirrors, I drive trailer trucks. I say go with Jr on normal west coast mirrors.
Dave - - - -

Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I've put up a new web page showing the mirrors that were available from Ford for these trucks, as well as their part #'s. If you find one you like go Google the part # and you may find them NOS. I did.

Exterior Mirrors - Gary's Garagemahal

Quick Reply: I want larger mirrors, not west coast.