excursion 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 PM
cjcathey2002
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ake-light.html

Originally Posted by cjcathey2002
I was in the same situation. I put the LED tail lights on last summer and have been looking for an acceptable led third brake light that closely matches since. It surprises me that the company doesn't make something similar.

After a year of searching I ordered a light on eBay for a 98 F150 thinking that since the recon lights for both models then this light might for my excursion.

I felt that light was the closest match I could find. The wiring was a plug and play although a little short, but after all it didn't fit. The excursion light is wider although the mounts are in the same location, just the red lens in larger. But the reflector area is also shaped differently making the f150 specific light not fit.

Since this light was only $35 delivered and I didn't like the $100+ versions I decided to do a little surgery and combine the LED strip and the lens from my original light. I didn't get a chance to take hardly any pictures of the process but I will describe the process.

I cut the red lens completely off and out of the way. I then slowly cut off the black back cover. All I wanted to save was the reflector assembly, and the LED circuit with the wiring. Going slow with my dremel tool I was able to get it down to the pieces I needed. The LEDs are white.

I then took the stock lens and cut the reflectors out for the three brake bulbs to make one big channel. I wanted to leave the mounting area intact. Then I took the reflector from the LED light and used a plastic epoxy to secure it to the original excursion housing making sure I had the housing and reflector oriented correctly and aligned.

After the epoxy set up I placed the LED circuit and wiring in the reflector, used a little bit of epoxy to secure the circuit boards so they would not work loose. And then I used a syringe and can of plasti-dip to coat the entire back side of the assembly. Plastic-dip will seal the lens and protect the electrical parts from the weather.

After all this i spent some time sanding down the outside of the lens to smooth it down to clean it up as it is almost 14 years old. Then i shot it with a few coats of clear and it looked better that it ever did new. However, i don't like the look of the lens internal diffuser bumps so I opted to cover it with some dark tail light vinyl tint.