Shock choices for the ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Ex man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock choices for the ex

Hi guys, need some input
My 2003 ex v10 4wd has 60k and quite frankly the ride is harsh and bumpy. The factory shocks are original and still in. My primary use is just local and highway cruising. No off roading at all. My main goal is a smooth comfortable ride without the jarring blows to the kidneys ha-ha.

I've been doing alot of reading
I'm not a huge fan of bilstein I had them in a jag and they were unimpressive to say the least.

I'm thinking rancho 9000, kyb, or Monroe. Any others? From what I read the monotube oil filled design tends to be the smoother of the shock design.

Also would the rear hellwig sway bar help or what other mod can be done.

Hit me up looking to make some changes soon.

PS. I just put on 4 new Michelin ltx ms 2 tires

Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a set of Bilsteins in the 02 X great ride.
Got a set of Rancho 9000's in the 00 X JUNK. One failed after a few month and now after 3 years all 4 can't be turned to adjust the ride.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Ex man
New User
Interesting. I never knew the brand rancho to be high quality even though they have been around for years. I believe they are owned by Monroe anyway

Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts
From the info you provided it sounds like not only are your shocks worn out but you are bottoming out on your bump stops. I would guess that at least one of your front bump stops is completely broken off. While you are crawling under the vehicle to check the bumps take a look at the springs, front the factory they were flat at ride height. Are they still flat or have they sagged and gone negative arch ?

Twin tube vs mono tube, neither design offers any engineering advantage for "smoothness"
Most new vehicles come with twin tube shocks simple because they are less expensive to manufacture in an automated factory.
mono tubes on the other hand lend themself to low volume production and is one reason many botique companies use that design.

Any of the shock brands you mentioned should have a quality shock valved to deliver the ride you are after.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 838 Likes on 577 Posts
I agree with the Pirate, it sounds like you are bottoming out on the front suspension. Shocks, no matter which ones can only do so much and if you are bottoming out the suspension shocks will not help the ride.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:20 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ex man
Hi guys, need some input
My 2003 ex v10 4wd has 60k and quite frankly the ride is harsh and bumpy. The factory shocks are original and still in. My primary use is just local and highway cruising. No off roading at all. My main goal is a smooth comfortable ride without the jarring blows to the kidneys ha-ha.

I've been doing alot of reading
I'm not a huge fan of bilstein I had them in a jag and they were unimpressive to say the least.

I'm thinking rancho 9000, kyb, or Monroe. Any others? From what I read the monotube oil filled design tends to be the smoother of the shock design.

Also would the rear hellwig sway bar help or what other mod can be done.

Hit me up looking to make some changes soon.

PS. I just put on 4 new Michelin ltx ms 2 tires
Have you owned this truck all 13 years Has the ride changed ?? Your driving a 3/4 ton straight axle 4x4 TRUCK. Ford did it's best to give the ride your asking for from the factory & that suspension sucked then much less now. There are a host of fixes for the poor suspension BUT I could not say any of them will offer the ride comfort you are EXpecting. If you decide to move into a NEWER more refined SUV anytime into the future, PLEASE let me know, I'd be very interested in the X.

WELCOME to the world of XXXs
Please add your general lo-cal to your profile. It's nice to know a members area.

PS: "Also would the rear hellwig sway bar help" NO it will not.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:29 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
My buddy is the original owner of a completely stock ultra low mileage Ex and I occasionally take it out for a spin Even though I have driven many excursions both lifted and stock and have owned 3 of them total and 1 brand new one I still use his as reference to what the original ride was like since I can drive it occasionally rather then rely on what I recalled it was like 10 or 15 years ago.

That said as Harley pointed out they are leaf sprung solid axle vehicles and have the inherent limitations of those components but I would not say the stock suspension sucked, as a matter of fact in stock form it delivers a remarkably smooth and comfortable ride.

Because the Ex is a basic leaf spring and solid axle suspension it is simple to reconfigure the ride quality, ride height and even the payload handeling chartaristics.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Ex man
New User
Ill have to check the bump stops thanks for the idea. I know this beast is a solid axle but you literally feel eery little bump in the road. I think energy suspension makes a whole kit for 200 or so.
Some posters on here claim there ex almost rides like a caddy with some suspension enhancements. Id like to know what they did so mine can ride like that.

Will new springs help? Id like to keep the front and rear height even.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
The energy suspension kit is a urethane bushings, great if your bushings are worn out but if you are looking for a "caddy" suspension I would stick with rubber bushings, they wear out quicker but are better at isolating vibrations.

New springs , when you went to look at the front bump stops were your springs sagging past flat like I described earlier ? If so then yes restoring the suspension travel back to spec is going to help.

To get that caddy like ride you want the lowest spring rate possible but also need adequate
Suspension travel. That was fords original goal so replacing your worn out suspension parts should give you the ride you are looking for.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 PM
DOOM173
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

What's the deal with the F-250 Super Duty shocks I've heard some of you guys talking about?

Something about making the truck sit a few inches higher?

Some type of mod a few of you guys are running.

Is it a simple shock swap or is any MODIFICATION involved?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:34 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by DOOM173
What's the deal with the F-250 Super Duty shocks I've heard some of you guys talking about?

Not the pickup shocks but their springs Doom. Ford short changed the EX to target it more to the Soccer Mom crowd, our wagons sit two inches lower than similarly equipped Super Duty trucks. Many of us have swapped in the truck springs to make the EX what it should have been from the start.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 PM
DOOM173
Tuned
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Not the pickup shocks but their springs Doom. Ford short changed the EX to target it more to the Soccer Mom crowd, our wagons sit two inches lower than similarly equipped Super Duty trucks. Many of us have swapped in the truck springs to make the EX what it should have been from the start.

So all I need to do is replace my springs with F-250 super duty springs and that's it!??

Old 01-31-2016, 08:47 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
So all I need to do is replace my springs with F-250 super duty springs and that's it!??

Yeah, pretty much.
The added benefit is that with the new taller springs the EX will handle and ride better with no more of the front end bottoming out on bumps.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:50 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

I think you mean f250 springs.
a leaf springs arch is what determine the vehicles ride height and the spring rate determine its load capacity.

shock absorber, as the name implies do just that.

the spring swap difficulty is going to depend on the tools you have available.. Pretty sure there are step by step pics in the tech folder. If not search. It has been cover in detail

Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 PM
DOOM173
Tuned
Talking

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Yeah, pretty much.
The added benefit is that with the new taller springs the EX will handle and ride better with no more of the front end bottoming out on bumps.

Thank you sir!

I'm starting to get a much better understanding of this beast I recently acquired!

Sorry for the noob questions. But I've already been bit by the mod bug! LOL!

Quick Reply: Shock choices for the ex