6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Best 20" tire..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:59 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Best 20" tire..?

Looking for the forum experience/consensus of the best replacement tire. Help me out if ya can guys...

Just want a stock size 20" replacement set of tires on my stock Platinum wheels.

Got the Michelin's on it stock and like them a lot. Got about 25,000 miles on them now and they are 7/8ths gone,,, with some little 'chunks' missing(torn out?). Wearing perfectly flat and even. Wear bars are almost there now and they still track straight and are smooth no shakes. But its time for a new set very soon...
Might have to go back with Michelin again, and try the ltx m&s instead of the ltx a t on it now iirr.

Without personally trying another tire on a 6.7 PS for me to compare it too, I like the Michelin's smooth no shakes hyw driving, good handling on road, and quite operation. Very good on the wet roads also. Aired down they work surprisingly well in the sand.

Would like to try another brand that is maybe better for my purposes, and also well liked around here.

Looking for tires that balance out good. And are truly ROUND. You can balance a block of wood but can't drive on it...
Not much concerned getting high tire wear ratings since my tuned truck seems to be much harder on its poor tires, and don't think any tire will be long lasting tire.
I spend most of my time on road around town, some hyw towing, a small amount off road in the dunes desert washes, towing sometimes in the sand washes. Probably spend 95% on road. Probably need the full oem tire load rating, or close to it, since I have a heavy Toy Hauler.

So guys, whats a good tire for me..?

jmo

Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard a radio ad for Toyo's having a 60k tread wear warranty and 500 mile no questions trial period. That would be twice as much as you're getting now with a chance to try them out first.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:56 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
You'll get a million opinions on this.... and here's mine. I too had my OE Michelin's wear very quickly. I sold them as a package with my OE 18" wheels and went to 20" Ford Platinum wheels. On them I have Goodyear AT Adventure w/Kevlar and have been very happy with them. Quiet, great in rain or when snowplowing, and wearing at a decent pace. I would buy again...

Old 01-27-2016, 07:37 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm a big fan of my new Toyo RT's. 45k mile treadwear warranty also.

I also ran Michelin LTX M/S on our old Expedition and was really pleased with them as well. I was not a fan of the OEM Michelins on my F350.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I ran 4 sets of Michelins A/Ts on my 2011 truck. I averaged about 30,000 miles per set. I swapped out to the Toyo A/T2 for the last winter before I sold it. They were a great tire.

So when my 2015 truck arrived I put those tires on ( 295/65R20 on 20x9" wheels) They are wearing great at 25,000 miles they look like they will easily hit 45,000 to 50,000 miles.

The A/T2 have more siping than the R/T tries and handled better in rain and snow. The R/T tires will handle better in mud and sand because of their bigger lugs.

On my 2006 F350, I ran the Goodyear Silent Armour. They handled very well in snow and wet roads. But I had several tires come apart under heavy trailer loads in summer heat. If you are not towing heavy, they are a good tire. But if you are towing a 5ver or Gooseneck trailer or carrying a camper I can't recommend them.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
allcool
Senior User
Goodyear AT Adventure
Toyo A/T2, RT

So those tires seem too work as good or better then the oem Michelin.

How do the 295/65 20 work on a not lifted, oem Platinum wheels..?

Are the Toyo loud on the hyw..?

Thanks for the reply guys, good info.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:58 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I ran 4 sets of Michelins A/Ts on my 2011 truck. I averaged about 30,000 miles per set. I swapped out to the Toyo A/T2 for the last winter before I sold it. They were a great tire.

So when my 2015 truck arrived I put those tires on ( 295/65R20 on 20x9" wheels) They are wearing great at 25,000 miles they look like they will easily hit 45,000 to 50,000 miles.

The A/T2 have more siping than the R/T tries and handled better in rain and snow. The R/T tires will handle better in mud and sand because of their bigger lugs.

On my 2006 F350, I ran the Goodyear Silent Armour. They handled very well in snow and wet roads. But I had several tires come apart under heavy trailer loads in summer heat. If you are not towing heavy, they are a good tire. But if you are towing a 5ver or Gooseneck trailer or carrying a camper I can't recommend them.

I don't think Goodyear makes the silent armor tire anymore.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
You'll get a million opinions on this.... and here's mine. I too had my OE Michelin's wear very quickly. I sold them as a package with my OE 18" wheels and went to 20" Ford Platinum wheels. On them I have Goodyear AT Adventure w/Kevlar and have been very happy with them. Quiet, great in rain or when snowplowing, and wearing at a decent pace. I would buy again...
Hey Karl can you post a snap shot of your tires.... I'm getting near 50k miles on my BF Goodrich All Terrains 2 and noticed that Goodrich doesn't offer these 20" tires on their website anymore, so it got me researching other tire options. I noticed in some of the '17 Super Duty's pictures that they're wearing the GY AT Adventure tires so now I'm thinking this will be my next set, but I never seen any or really good pictures of them.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:13 PM
vntperformance
Junior User
If you can find the Duravis in your size, they last 100k miles with 5k mile rotations.

Link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....uravis+R500+HD

Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The 295/65/R20 really should be mounted on 8.5" or wider wheel. Mine are on 9" wheels. I had no rubbing on the truck ever before I got the level kit. But I suspect it's due more to the -12 backspacing.

But the tires are available in the stock 275/65R20 size.
An no they do not sing on the hiway

Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 AM
dayooper
Senior User
I loved every set of toyo's i had they wear really well and i usually averaged 50-60k life. The last set of tires i purchased were mastercraft ATX they wore very well although i only had 20k on them when i sold the truck they still had approx 75% tread.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by dayooper
I loved every set of toyo's i had they wear really well and i usually averaged 50-60k life. The last set of tires i purchased were mastercraft ATX they wore very well although i only had 20k on them when i sold the truck they still had approx 75% tread.
I've been using Mastercraft tires on my full size van and other cars for about 10 years. I had a set of AXT's on my wife's Durango when a connecting rod came unconnected. The AXT's were wearing very well and (knock on wood) I never had any tire related problems with the Mastercrafts.

They are made by Cooper so they aren't like a lot of other cheap no name brands.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
The stock Michelins are a quality and expensive tire. They are quiet, offer good roadholding, and even wear. They do seem to wear quicker than they should and, in my opinion, do not offer great traction off road or in snow. My previous F-250 wore Continental ContiTrac TR tires - these wore very well, were quiet, and absolutely awful in snow.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:59 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
The stock Michelins are a quality and expensive tire. They are quiet, offer good roadholding, and even wear. They do seem to wear quicker than they should and, in my opinion, do not offer great traction off road or in snow. My previous F-250 wore Continental ContiTrac TR tires - these wore very well, were quiet, and absolutely awful in snow.
I disagree that the OEM Michelins are a quality tire. Maybe on a different vehicle. Mine were spitting tread blocks at 14k miles and I know I am not the only one to experience that. I don't think they handle the torque of these trucks well.

But that is just my opinion based on my experience. As is yours I'm sure.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:20 PM
allcool
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
With my limited experience with this truck and size/type tire, I agree, the Michelin are great tires imo. The on road smooth drive-ability, great tracking handling, stability, traction, braking, quite ride all seem to very good to me. Looking forward to a better tire...
Originally Posted by 89LX306
I disagree that the OEM Michelins are a quality tire. Maybe on a different vehicle. Mine were spitting tread blocks at 14k miles and I know I am not the only one to experience that. I don't think they handle the torque of these trucks well.

But that is just my opinion based on my experience. As is yours I'm sure.
Yup, I also have some chunks missing. This is something new though, after it had 20,000 or so miles and tread depth is low now.
I always thought it was just because of my 1024 ft lbs torque and heavy right foot.

So are you saying other brand tires won't wear as bad regardless of torque, and driver uh uh abuse(?)...?
What other brands do you think I should look at..? So far I've priced Toyo and Goodyear...

Quick Reply: Best 20" tire..?