6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Deanp88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 Longevity

Guys I have been reading over several posts and reviews on the 6.4 as well as watching some videos on Youtube regarding the 6.4 motor. I realize the emissions crap kills these engines. I have heard all the stories. One guy that threw me off was from Youtube named "powerstrokehelp". This guy appears to be very good with all the Ford diesel engines but in 1 video he states how great the 6.4 is when comparing the 7.3 thru the 6.4 with the engines in front of him. In another video he is walking around the different trucks discussing the weakness of each engine and when he gets to the 6.4 he says Ford basically designed it to be a throw away motor at 150K. Does that sound right to you guys? I mean, with ERG deletes and the DPF deleted, great maintenance and occasional towing, could you see 300 to 400K like the 7.3 and some of the 6.0?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Deanp88
In another video he is walking around the different trucks discussing the weakness of each engine and when he gets to the 6.4 he says Ford basically designed it to be a throw away motor at 150K. Does that sound right to you guys?
No, it doesn't. Ford didn't design this engine at all, it's a Navistar design just like the 7.3L and 6.0L. Do yourself a favor and take Bill Hewitt with a huge grain of salt. His videos have helped many, but he's quite a bit off in many regards and can hardly be considered an authoritative source in many areas. He likes to pass off his opinion as fact and very rarely references anything.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Deanp88
Freshman User
Thanks. After searching forums for what people are getting out of these 6.4 engines I never saw anyone claim to get over 250K so I wondered if there was any truth to what he was saying.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Guys I have been reading over several posts and reviews on the 6.4 as well as watching some videos on Youtube regarding the 6.4 motor. I realize the emissions crap kills these engines. I have heard all the stories. One guy that threw me off was from Youtube named "powerstrokehelp". This guy appears to be very good with all the Ford diesel engines but in 1 video he states how great the 6.4 is when comparing the 7.3 thru the 6.4 with the engines in front of him. In another video he is walking around the different trucks discussing the weakness of each engine and when he gets to the 6.4 he says Ford basically designed it to be a throw away motor at 150K. Does that sound right to you guys? I mean, with ERG deletes and the DPF deleted, great maintenance and occasional towing, could you see 300 to 400K like the 7.3 and some of the 6.0?
its a throw away motor at 150K....

no valve stem guides at all
no piston rod bearings at all
to service the lifters...engine has to be pulled...at that point might as well rebuild it while it is out.

I am also suspecting that the prevailing thought that fuel in oil being cuased by the re-gen process could be incorrect.....Im now wondering if the drive system for the high presure fuel pump is leaking fuel into the oil. The HPFP sound slopy as the miles accumalates and that might be due to play in the pump drive system.

aside from the rocker wear problems, case vent leaking oil into the intake, EGR problems, oil/collant exchange problems, and the usual problems with 6.0 and 6.4's with leaking radiators which now turns out to be due to compression due to frame flex.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I've worked on 2 different contruction projects that have a lot of 6.4s. I have yet to see one make it past 150k on the original engine. Many need major work before 80-100k, but part of that is insufficient highway driving.

There's a reason higher mile 6.4s can be had so cheap compared to similar year chevys or rams.

I will give the 6.4 credit where it is due though. A healthy, deleted and tuned 6.4 is FAST! They have a lot of potential for power, but it is unfortunate international cut corners due to being rushed by the EPA standards at the cost of longevity.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Deanp88
Freshman User
Originally Posted by brandonrr
I've worked on 2 different contruction projects that have a lot of 6.4s. I have yet to see one make it past 150k on the original engine. Many need major work before 80-100k, but part of that is insufficient highway driving.

There's a reason higher mile 6.4s can be had so cheap compared to similar year chevys or rams.

I will give the 6.4 credit where it is due though. A healthy, deleted and tuned 6.4 is FAST! They have a lot of potential for power, but it is unfortunate international cut corners due to being rushed by the EPA standards at the cost of longevity.
Are you saying that even with the deletes it is not going to make it much past 150K?

Old 01-27-2016, 02:01 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you saying that even with the deletes it is not going to make it much past 150K?
I'm not saying that. I can't imagine they'd last near as long as the old 7.3, but deleting the emmisions stuff can only make it last longer. The engine isn't rebreathing its own farts and pushing the rest through a restrictive filter.

The 6.0 isn't the best for longevity either, but does well once studded and EGR is taken out of the mix through deleting and/or tuning.

The way I see it is properly maintained:
(This is just my not-so-expert opinion)
7.3- can go 600k+ (I've seen as high as 1.4 million miles)
6.0- EGR intact 300k+
6.0- EGR deleted/tuned out 400-500k+ (I've seen as high as 880k)
6.4- emmisions intact 150k+
6.4- emmisions deleted 200-250k+?
6.7- ??? (I've heard claims of 500k+, but haven't seen more than 170k in person) I have heard they are doing pretty good so far, but it's too early to tell. I like how this engine has that extra head bolt for each cylinder like the old 7.3 did. They don't blow head gaskets like the 6.0 and 6.4 and have stronger pistons. They do however, suffer from the same issues with the sensitive high pressure fuel system as the 6.4.

Ford, dodge and chevy diesels 2008-2010 all live pretty short lives, unless the DPF is eliminated. Dodge didn't get SCR/DEF until 2013, so its 2008-2012 for them.

Part of the reason the newer diesels with SCR/DEF are doing better is they require less EGR, due to chemically reducing the NOX. More EGR makes more soot, which means more regens. Also, less exhaust to cool down and less crud in the intake.

I cannot stress enough that this is all speculation and opinion as far as the longevity estimate part goes.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Deanp88
Freshman User
I just spoke to the guys here in Indiana who run Outlaw Diesel Performance and he told me that he has seen the 6.4 crap out usually between 100K and 350K. He said removing the emissions crap will help with reliability. What a shame that such an expensive truck can cause such a pain in the ***.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Curious to hear Matt (@CrazySob) and Dave (@dlibson)'s perspective on this.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!!!!! I'M 18,000 miles past due a new engine!!!! God help me!

I bet a used one should be as cheap as a small block chevy.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically what I see here is a bunch of people saying what they see or think or heard. Now, what I know from owning and working on them at my shope is this. It's a great motor that will last plenty long if taken care of. Yes, deletes help. Yes, it's mechanical and will break. My 08 went down the road at 235k. Deleted at 100k, never one thing done to the engine at all. Oil changed synthetic at 5k, fuel filters as well. Drained water monthly. Tuned, but wasn't stupid. Pulled 18k all over the place. I have a customer with a all stock 09. 327k. Glow plugs have been done, and a radiator. Simply put, yes it can last. But like any motor it can fail. The thing with the 6.4 is when it fails, it can be spendy. As for the 6.0, they are much better than people realize. I've owned 8 of them. 5 were tow trucks. All hit 300k, two 500k before I replaced them. All original motors, too.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Deanp88
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dlibson
Basically what I see here is a bunch of people saying what they see or think or heard. Now, what I know from owning and working on them at my shope is this. It's a great motor that will last plenty long if taken care of. Yes, deletes help. Yes, it's mechanical and will break. My 08 went down the road at 235k. Deleted at 100k, never one thing done to the engine at all. Oil changed synthetic at 5k, fuel filters as well. Drained water monthly. Tuned, but wasn't stupid. Pulled 18k all over the place. I have a customer with a all stock 09. 327k. Glow plugs have been done, and a radiator. Simply put, yes it can last. But like any motor it can fail. The thing with the 6.4 is when it fails, it can be spendy. As for the 6.0, they are much better than people realize. I've owned 8 of them. 5 were tow trucks. All hit 300k, two 500k before I replaced them. All original motors, too.
That is good to hear!!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My 08 is a work truck. I don't push it hard, but it works. It's not a car. Deleted and tuned it when I got it at 116,000 miles. (I run a mild H&S tune) As far as the motor goes, replaced the High Pressure Fuel Rail Sensor, that it other than the regular oil changes and fuel filters, and of course draining the Fuel/Water separator. You know, I've never found more than a drop in it. I also use fuel additive.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 AM
genotac-f250
Freshman User
BONE STOCK 112K miles, about to be deleted everything including engine...it's still running strong by the way, though radiator started the infamous leak.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Deanp88
Freshman User
Here is a link to the videos:
Says its a throw away engine

Loves the engine

He does state that they all have some issues.

Quick Reply: 6.4 Longevity