6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 6.7 engine problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Tjhunter-jeepman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 6.7 engine problems?

ok, I have read a lot of threads on here about the 6.7 having valve problems and therefore new engines have to be put in. I have a 2011 and the build date is 10 /10 , the earlier one, I only have about 30200 miles on it since I bought it new, (its a garage queen) I do baby it, I guess you can see by the mileage, my question is, how many of these early dated trucks had issues, my 5 year 100,00 warranty runs out next month, should I be concerned about it ? I plan on keeping it for along time, but the extended warranty is about 3250 dollars, which I was hoping not to have to buy, any ford guys here that could give me some advice? or maybe ford technicians that know about how many have had this problem and at what mileage?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:24 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Is getting just Diesel EngineCARE an option? If you are only worried about the engine...

Old 01-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Tjhunter-jeepman
Junior User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Is getting just Diesel EngineCARE an option? If you are only worried about the engine...
yes, it is, but it is still 1,886 dollars too, been kicking it around, just wasn't sure how many miles were on these trucks before they had problems, at my
at my mileage rate, 10 years would only have about 60,000 miles, then warranty is out again, thanks for your reply

Old 01-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Moogal78
Senior User
I don't know if this qualifies as advice, but I've got an 8/10 build with 168,XXX on it and no extended warranty. I've replaced 2 injectors, 2 EGT sensors, and the coolant line to the turbo, otherwise just basic maintenance.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Tjhunter-jeepman
Junior User
Originally Posted by Moogal78
I don't know if this qualifies as advice, but I've got an 8/10 build with 168,XXX on it and no extended warranty. I've replaced 2 injectors, 2 EGT sensors, and the coolant line to the turbo, otherwise just basic maintenance.
Thanks for your reply, I just got my truck paid off, was looking at doing some upgrades, but then I read this stuff on here about the engine issues, kind of scared me, but I really take care of my truck, so I think I am going to quit worrying about it and just drive it and have fun with it, hopefully they didn't have that problem with all of them....lol

Old 01-20-2016, 02:31 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tjhunter-jeepman
Thanks for your reply, I just got my truck paid off, was looking at doing some upgrades, but then I read this stuff on here about the engine issues, kind of scared me, but I really take care of my truck, so I think I am going to quit worrying about it and just drive it and have fun with it, hopefully they didn't have that problem with all of them....lol
After 5 years, and no problems, I'd say you're good to go. My recommendation to anyone, is not to go looking for problems on the internet. Cause you're gonna find em. Almost always represents a small (but vocal), percentage. Mine is still new, but I have a co-worker, and a brother in law who both own job 1 2011's, and they have been fine. Both tow heavy with them. Riding in my BIL's truck is what drove me to trade in my '13 gasser for the 6.7, and I have no regrets.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
You always take the chance that a vehicle out of warranty will have issues. Since I typically have bad luck, I get rid of them when the warranty goes. This time around I bought an extended on 2015, because I wanted to keep the truck for a longer time and build more equity up in it so next time around I have an even less expensive truck payment.

Having said that, I know people that have 20 year old vehicles that have needed very little other than basic maintenance on them. If this stresses you out, warranty or trade it. Otherwise, drive it and enjoy it. As already said, a very small percentage of the early build trucks had valve issues. Most of them were the engines built for the medium duty trucks with a single turbo and lower overall HP too.

What I would do, is plan on changing out your glow plugs. I personally feel that some of the engines that people said dropped a valve, could have had a glow plug tip break off. Ford did change the glow plug design on later model year trucks. My understanding as a previous 2011 MY owner is that they are not interchangeable.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,572 Likes on 733 Posts
I ran 145,000 on a 7/10 build truck. Two EGT sensors ( at 120,000 and second at 140,000) A Turbo Coolant fitting and a Turbo Oil fitting, front bearing/hubs and then just normal maintenance. Coolant flush, tranny flush, batteries, shocks, Steering dampner etc.

These trucks are proving to be pretty dependable.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My 2011 job 1 05/2010 build has 79,000 miles. The only replaced hardware related to just the engine was the primary water pump a year ago. My ESP warranty expired in June. I worried about it for a few months before and after the deadline and I decided to just not worry about it moving forward. I continue to drive and tow with it same as before. It's certainly a risk but chances of a major failure is much lower than things continuing to work fine. In May 2010, KTP was pushing out a lot of these trucks per day and they certainly can't all be bad. I do like the ESP warranty and have said it's important to have but next truck I know to get the 7 year. I am not planning to change out anything unless I have an issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Mine is a Job 1 05/2010 build also. It's just short of 70,000 miles. I never got the extended warranty which turned out to be a money saver for me. Shocks, steering damper and regular maintenance. No warranty claims other than the firmware updates.

I have towed a very heavy trailer many thousands of miles through high desert heat and all over the rocky mountains and pacific northwest. No problems with HPFP, exhaust valves or glow plugs. So far so good, knock on wood.

I have a buddy who has a job 1 truck also and he just replaced both front hubs after 80,000 miles. He has custom wheels with an aggressive offset which might have contributed to that problem. No problems on his truck either except for a dented front bumper. Warranty didn't cover that...

Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Tjhunter-jeepman
Junior User
lol, thanks for the imfo, I am feeling better now, was sick when I read all this stuff this morning, but I think I will buy a tuner like I wanted and just drive mine !

Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
lol, thanks for the imfo, I am feeling better now, was sick when I read all this stuff this morning, but I think I will buy a tuner like I wanted and just drive mine !
No worries, even the most disciplined optimist will cave in to the internet rumors sometimes. The internet is great for solving problems but it's also great at making you aware of problems you'll never have. It takes some energy but I've found it best to just drive the truck and enjoy the incredible feat of engineering that it is.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Just remember, adding a tuner changes everything!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM
frt2599
Senior User
I also have a early build 2011. 30,000 miles (also a garage queen) and besides the early shifting issues which they FINALLY fixed with the latest flash, I've had no issues. Miles are mostly towing my toy hauler and running around town. I'm also concerned about the valve issue with the early builds but as many have noted, it's seems to be fairly rare. Someone on another thread talked about taking additional insurance out on just the engine, although not sure if insurance companies even offer this or how much.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Field18
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2011 f350 when the motor locked up at 44,585.

ok, I have read a lot of threads on here about the 6.7 having valve problems and therefore new engines have to be put in. I have a 2011 and the build date is 10 /10 , the earlier one, I only have about 30200 miles on it since I bought it new, (its a garage queen) I do baby it, I guess you can see by the mileage, my question is, how many of these early dated trucks had issues, my 5 year 100,00 warranty runs out next month, should I be concerned about it ? I plan on keeping it for along time, but the extended warranty is about 3250 dollars, which I was hoping not to have to buy, any ford guys here that could give me some advice? or maybe ford technicians that know about how many have had this problem and at what mileage?
My 2011 locked up with 44,585 and Ford will not stand behind there trucks because it is 8 years old.

Quick Reply: 2011 6.7 engine problems?