1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Dana 24 Xfer case ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:06 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Dana 24 Xfer case ?

1. My Dana #24 Transfer case has a semi rare Chelsae PTO mounted on the rear side, on the idler shaft. It drives my rear mounted winch. The PTO housing prevents using a spedo cable, even using the 90 deg adapter, which I have, because there just isn't room between the tail shaft housing and the PTO.
Does anybody know if I can rotate the tail shaft housing 90 deg, thereby placing the spedo gear port on the top, as opposed to the driver's side? The 4 bolts holding the tail shaft to the transfer case appear equidistan from each other. Looks like it would fit. Would it do any harm to rotate it 90 deg clockwise, thereby giving me ample room to install a spedo cable?? It would be nice.. but perhaps, lubrication might be a problem.. ??

Baja

Old 01-18-2016, 02:33 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
51 views and no opinions?? I know, just try it, but transfer case repair is not an easy thing in La Ribera, Baja, Mx.. I realize that I am way out of the box on this one, but I am asking a bottomless tank of knowledge & experience here. Am I going where no man has gone before?? In a land far far away? Hopefully, I do not have to break trail on my own.

Baja

Old 01-18-2016, 03:19 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Looking at the pic in my Ford fische the mounting gasket for it appears to have a bolt pattern that won't allow you to do it. You might call one of these guys and have them look at the gasket and see if that's true. Part number B9C7181A. (Yep, no "Z")

Bowman Sales And Service

xWesley Obsolete Parts

(606) 787-5293

xGreen Sales

(800) 543-4959

Old 01-18-2016, 04:10 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
I am all over it amigo...

Baja

Old 01-18-2016, 04:12 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
I am all over it amigo...

Baja
Like scales on a fish?

Old 01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Lokoing at the gasket, it appears that the inlet shaft housing, and the outlet shaft housing, have identical gaskets for the housings, with a notch in the gasket, possible to allow oil to be circulated. The very helpful parts man at Bowman, sent a photo of the gasket to my email. The gasket has 6 holes in it, 1 smaller hole, and a notch in the bottom. Only 4 bolts mount the tail shaft housing, to the transfer case body. The 4 are equidistant, and spaced in an equicentric pattern. The small hole may be for an alignment pin?? I assume that the notch in the gasket, allows case oil to flow into the tailshaft housing, to lubricate the rear most bearing. My thought is that the 2 unused holes, are for another application, and not used in this transfer case.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Baja
ps; I love the scales on a fish... good one El Rey

Old 01-18-2016, 04:59 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't looked at the Dana 24 transfer case inside. But the NP205 has a oil passage between the tail housing sections. And a ear casted into the tailhousing to cover the back side of the right side shift rail. Here's a pic showing the 205 wish it was more useful to you but I would check the bolt pattern of the 24 you may just need to clock it and possibly Gring a oil passage in the housing.

Oil passage outlined in orange

Old 01-18-2016, 05:12 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks Crazed, I am hoping to just 'clock' it 9 0 deg, and leave the gasket on the tail shaft housing. I won't be able to really tell, and set my mind at ease, until I get back to La Ribera, and hope to try my idea on my spare transfer case. A working speedometer would be a luxury I have done without for some 40 years now. Recently though, my hand held GPS has substituted as 2nd string for the in dash unit.

Accurate, but not very nostalgic.

Baja

Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The gasket has a notch that lines up with the oil passage. Here's the 205's gasket with the notch probably similar to yours. I would look at your shift rail to see if it is the same as the 205's in the second pic below shows how the shift rail hole is incorporated into the output tailhousing and gasket bolt pattern.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
I have an extra dana 24 transfercase. If I get a chance I will pull the tail housing.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry Baja, I only have 2WD. But the pto winch deal sounds good.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:55 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks very much fe390, that would be great. The way I am picturing it in my mind, while looking at the gasket, the 4 mounting bolts appear to be in a square pattern, with one at each corner of the square. The gasket conforms to the tail shaft housing shape, which has an added thickness on one side, to accommodate the spedo gear. My hope is to 'clock' the tail shaft housing, with gasket clocked also, but with an extra notch for oil circulation, if that idea appears practical.
I seem to remember that Chebby used the Dana 23, not the 24, so now I am wondering if the #23 tail shaft housing has the spedo entering from the other side??

Anybody ?

Baja

Old 09-04-2016, 05:19 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks to everyone for responding... and for clarification, you can rotate the Dana 24 output shaft housing, to two positions, and retain lubrication to the tail shaft bearing, via the notch in the gasket.. It works, and I did it, so now my speedo works as well as it can.

Now, I am looking at fabricating a torsion bar for restricting movement of the heavy transfercase, like the one Orich has made for his.... any other ideas out there?

Baja

Old 09-04-2016, 05:31 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Now, I am looking at fabricating a torsion bar for restricting movement of the heavy transfercase, like the one Orich has made for his.... any other ideas out there?

Baja
Sure... low buck would be an inner and outer tie rod and its adjusting sleeve with their ends cut off and fabricated ends.

The other is a length of tube, two heim joints, and the bracketry for their cross bolts.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:49 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks Silver, I have both, a used set of tie rods, and tubing the right size for ball joint ends.. I am going to go lay under my truck and see what comes to mind for attaching to the transfer... I am thinking of a skid plate, mounted fore and aft, and come off that with the torsion bar... I have both Mig, and stick welders... and fabrication is not a problem... just do not see any sense in reinventing the wheel... if someone else has done it, and it works, then I go with experience most every time... I like Orich's solution... with the lower brace working the best...

Baja

Quick Reply: Dana 24 Xfer case ?