Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Power steering Noise

Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 PM
QuickerPickerUpper
Freshman User
QuickerPickerUpper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power steering Noise

My power steering sounds like it has air in its fluid. Is this possible. When I turn the streering wheel you can hear the fluid pressure. It's hard to describe, but it is very noticable. Has anyone had this problem on their f150?

Old 08-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Power steering Noise

The most common cause of power steering noise on Fords is the pump. I dont think I've heard exactly what you're describing though.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:38 PM
QuickerPickerUpper
Freshman User
Power steering Noise

Is the pump going bad or is this just inherent with Ford power steering. It is hard to discribe. It's kind of a fluid noise that can be heard as you turn the wheel, mostly when your at a stop or when your parking the vehicle.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Racerguy
Post Fiend
Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Power steering Noise

Noisy Ford p/s pumps are quite common and usually it wont cause any problems. They usually go a long time even if they make some noise.
Maybe run it by a mechanic for a listen and see what he thinks.

Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
MrBSS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power steering Noise

I guess it depends on what you consider "excessive noise". You'll definitely be able to hear it when you're working it at low speeds with the windows open.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:41 PM
QuickerPickerUpper
Freshman User
Power steering Noise

Thanks you guys for your input. I think I'm just use to GM power steering and Fords are so much noisier. So noise that my wife wanted to know what that noise was. I was thinking of having a machcanic listen to it, but thought I would pass it by the pool of experts on the w.w.w. Thanks

Old 08-15-2003, 10:23 PM
mctmct
Freshman User
mctmct is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power steering Noise

Ford F150 steering is commonly described as "over-assisted"; I think this is reflected in the noisy pump. I had a '97 XLT, and every time I visited my sister, she'd be waiting by the door when I walked up. One day I asked her about this, and she said she always knew when I arrived because she could hear the truck turn up into her driveway. The pump was noisy, the pitman arm was un-greasable so it squeaked, and the pump also made lots of noise when turned fully to either side (Ford says don't hold the steering locked to full turn).

Now I have an '03 XLT, and it doesn't make all those steering noises... improved design, or luck- I don't know. Maybe more responses will shed light on this.

MCT

Old 08-15-2003, 11:37 PM
LCD_SUPERCREW
New User
LCD_SUPERCREW is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power steering Noise

my 01 supercrew makes the same sound when i'm parking or turning at a slow speed, it kinda sounds like a radiator when you shut your truck off, a gurgling fluid sound....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.