1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

custom light switch, ign switch etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
custom light switch, ign switch etc

I'm preparing to start wiring the truck and am looking for some new switches for the headlights, ignition switch and a push button start set up, I will not be using a wiper switch as I will not be using wipers. I'd like something nicer than was was stock in the 56 F100's, any idea or suggestions. Progress this last month has been slow, I still need to make some trans cooling lines for the C6 and figure out the power steering pump (volare box/front clip). I have the fuse panel mounted in the driver side kick panel area, and figured out (with the help of this forum) the upper radiator hose problem but that's about all I've got done. There's just not enough time in the day sometimes.
Don

Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 AM
48f1builder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine for 48 f1 at local parts store,but have seen same ones on ebay I think the brand was standard ing.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Don, I have looked into the push button start feature as well and my only concern, other than cost, was how well it would work with a carbureted engine. The newer cars have feedback systems for the computer controls that can tell the starter when to stop turning...I am not sure how that would work on an older engine. As for the hose issue, here is what I went with on my 351W:

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Don, I have looked into the push button start feature as well and my only concern, other than cost, was how well it would work with a carbureted engine. The newer cars have feedback systems for the computer controls that can tell the starter when to stop turning...I am not sure how that would work on an older engine. As for the hose issue, here is what I went with on my 351W:
You bring up a really good point ! I never thought of that. I had the push button start on my Factory Five Cobra Replica but it was fuel injected, going have to think about this one. As for the upper radiator hose this is what I handed up doing, it has since been powder coated satin black.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
I did get an alternator too! So I did get more done than I thought!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:17 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I went with a similar setup on my 56 F100 but I had a little more of a challenge given the radiator design. I had the tube fabricated out of aluminum tubing and connected it with shrink hose connectors made by Bates. Connectors are not "shrunk" in this photo:

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question: you will not be using wipers? What works as a substitute?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Originally Posted by jvmcc
In Arizona (Phoenix) it doesn't rain but 3 times a year and the truck will stay in the garage when it does, when I sell it if someone is so inclined to have wipers they can go for it. Hole for motor mount is still on the firewall wall with a plate covering it and the holes in the cowl where the wipers would go are still there but will be covered somehow, haven't quite thought what I want to do there yet.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Björn
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they say this will work with our engine

Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are some nice billet halo ring switches here. Digital Guard Dawg - START BUTTON CHOICES They also have many different push to start options. You should be okay to use one on your carbed engine as long as you use the momentary contact type. Not sure how much you want to invest, but you can get keyless kits there as well. I never used the digital guard kit but have used one from motogadget m-Lock (RFID ignition lock) - m-Lock - RFID-Ignition Lock m-Lock - Electrics.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:59 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a push button start in my F1 and it works just fine. I got mine from:
Watson's StreetWorks. I have a Ford Cleveland stroker in mine. If your interested in security for this system send me a private email.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
I have a push button start in my F1 and it works just fine. I got mine from:
Watson's StreetWorks

They have some cool switches and stuff there.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Vito
In Arizona (Phoenix) it doesn't rain but 3 times a year and the truck will stay in the garage when it does, .
Right. I've got a bit of "arid envy". In Vermont it doesn't rain but about 7 months out of the year. The other 5 months is snow....

Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 PM
chad77
Elder User
I got a http://www.gallotech.com/ system for mine. I wasn't sure if it was going to work with a carb like mentioned, but after some bench testing I believe it will.

I also contact gallotech and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you are trying to remote start a carborated vehicle. Then you might have issues.

You can see how I mounted my gauges/button on my thread.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jvmcc
There are some really nice polymer coatings available on the market now. I use Opti-Coat on paint finishes, it has a 5-year guarantee and makes your paint fairly bulletproof. The manufacturer did not recommend the Opti-Coat for windshields but they now have a comparable product made for glass called Opti-Glass Optimum Opti-Glass Coating, windshield coating, windshield coating to prevent chips
The old school method to prep a windshield to repel water when you did not use wipers was Glass Wax or Rain-X, this new polymer product is touted to be even better. If the rain water beads up and flows right off the glass then there isn't as much distortion to your vision. Some states frown on running a vehicle without wipers...but most police have bigger fish to fry.

I looked at the push button ignition setups from Watson and Digital Guard Dawg and Phantom. I saw the Phantom setup about a year ago and the pricing was very high but they were the only game in town. The Watson setup is affordable but has no RFID function. The Digital Dawg units are half the price of the Phantom and seem to have all the features anyone could want including RFID, remote locking, and remote trunk access. I am going to have to rethink this setup. I guess that if you hold the button until the engine kicks over then it will work even on a carbureted engine...we have a 2013 Hyundai Azera with the push button ignition and you just have to push the button once and it will turn over until it starts. Thanks to all who offered inputs, I hope Don got as much out of this as I did.

Quick Reply: custom light switch, ign switch etc