1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

fess up guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:54 PM
84XLF150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fess up guys

I know i cant be the only one that threatens to sell my truck when its being stubborn. So who else yells at their trucks from time to time?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:16 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
When it is being "stubborn", your truck is just wanting some attention! Speak softly, don't yell.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Peavey1986
Senior User
The efi on the 5.0 in my truck makes me pissed an I have threatened to sell her . Then oddly it fixes it sell some how lol. Other then the damn efi I hardly have to many things to yell at it about. I guess I got to keep in mind that it's almost 30 years old . An I know people with 5year old Kia's that are broke all the time !

Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
I, for one, have been known to get upset with my 84.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
64cadetpat
New User
I've threatened sell my 86 F250 a few times but all the trouble I've had with it really wasn't the trucks fault it was always things that the previous owner messed with that should have never been messed with. Thankfully now I think I have it all straightened out and can make the changes I would like to make.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I fantasized about running my '08 into a bridge abutment. Fortunately Ford bought it back from me instead (much less painful).

Old 01-08-2016, 09:07 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 64cadetpat
I've threatened sell my 86 F250 a few times but all the trouble I've had with it really wasn't the trucks fault it was always things that the previous owner messed with that should have never been messed with. Thankfully now I think I have it all straightened out and can make the changes I would like to make.

I hear ya there. Right now, I'm dealing with a reman engine in my '86. I found out about it after I bought it and am paying the price now, literally. Shotty work and taking the cheap route on the rebuild. Don't know what shop did this, and really don't want to know. I am currently looking for a good, used engine to rebuild the RIGHT way and the current one is going in for scrap, it's that bad. Just gotta keep it going for another year or so.

I really don't threaten my trucks with selling them, usually I threaten them with getting scrapped out. That's when they start to agree with me and things go better.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:29 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,182 Likes on 1,854 Posts
Well being I just got my truck and took it all apart to rebuild it I have not said a thing to it.
Even my 02 DD (other make) truck I have not said a thing to as it has not really given me any issues. When it has it never left me stranded and wile it was being worked on, (dealer fixes it) they gave me something else to drive.

I do remember as a teen having a VW bug that gave me big bal*s with the brakes locking up. When I could not find a fix I tried to smash it into a tree but the brakes locked up pissing me off more so I punched the radio out of the dash jumped out and thru the keys at it and walked home. Had a buddy with me this whole time never said a thing.
When I got home dad asked where the car was and I told him what happed and where to find it. Dad & buddy got the car home later that day, few weeks later I took the car all apart. kept only the motor, trany, front axle rest went to scrap!
That is the only one to really **** me off.
Dave ----

Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Gotta say I may be a bit biased, but I love working on my Fords. Only complaint is that they are reliable enough that I do not get the opportunity often enough.

But there is one exception. Many years ago, I purchased a 73 Mustang that was an absolute POS. This was maybe 78 or 79, so it was not a new car, but it looked pretty good sitting on the dealer's lot and it was my only transportation. I did try to drive it in winter, but the car would absolutely refuse to start if the temperature dropped below freezing. Block heaters made no difference. I swear I could park the car in a heated garage and it knew if the outside temperature was below freezing, it would not start. The end of this car came when a huge slab of putty fell off one side, exposing the aluminum duct tape the unscrupulous dealer had applied over the rust to make the car saleable. Lost my shirt on that one.

I own other makes including imports and GM products, even an old AMC Rambler. I really am not fond of anything GM has produced in the last 20 years and I had a particularly nasty experience with a GMC Jimmy. That resulted in what became known as my "Chevy words" which I will use from time to time, even on my wife's Toyota, but never on my Fords.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I get upset with mine from time to time, and I have threatened not to sell as much as to let it sit an rot.

Besides that, I think my problem comes from that the truck runs great for so long then when it acts up its like wtf now. Start it the next day and its back to normal again.

One that I really have been neglecting is my Mercury, I really should go out ad start her up but I just am disgusted with it because the carb which is old now but it was a new unit when I installed it and it just wont idle down it wants to idle at 750 all the time in gear. I used to have it idled down but then I noticed the choke pull off is bad so I just said screw it, I will get a rebuild kit for the old OEM carb that came off the car and rebuild it and install that. Still haven't gotten around to that yet.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:00 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes, there is no reasonable explaination

Can't begin to convey the times when i wanted to kick it in the fender and say:
You are outta here ! But i hang in there and for some un-known reason, it starts and does what i need it to do. I guess it's what draws us to old trucks. We think to ourselves....it did the job when it was new, why can't it do the job now?
They just need a boost.
Just like humans, they need nutrition (fluid/filter), exercise (driven regularly) and sometimes, a little medical attention (replacement parts). In the end, there may not be a specific definition as to why we hang in there.....we just do. We don't send our geriatric trucks to hospice, we rehab them.
When I hit the lottery, I'll have a 25 T ,a '38 Pickup, a '39 Merc Vert, etc....but until then....i'll keep plugin' along, and so will the '84.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Please delete

Old 01-10-2016, 04:46 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Never. I drive 30-60 year old vehicles for a reason, to avoid the hassles of electronics and to keep government inspection and police types out of my life. If I got something else it would just need a bunch of work I've already done. I just remind myself all the BS I have to do is 30 years of previous owner neglect, not any inherent design fault of the truck.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Never. I drive 30-60 year old vehicles for a reason, to avoid the hassles of electronics and to keep government inspection and police types out of my life. If I got something else it would just need a bunch of work I've already done. I just remind myself all the BS I have to do is 30 years of previous owner neglect, not any inherent design fault of the truck.

Love it!

Same reason I picked up a '53 Ford Customline to turn into a daily driver. The newer vehicles are going to hit the road. After that, the '86 F-150 will be the newest thing I own.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry. Not me.

If it is THAT stubborn, it gets parked and I start driving one of the others or buy another

Quick Reply: fess up guys