1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by artscott61
Hey Pete to me your truck is done. I just love a naked flat head your work really looks good and should be an inspiration to Jim and Austin.
Thanks . . . but the fun is that there is always something else to improve. Here I am yesterday grinding off the rivets that that hold the center bearing with help from my son, Stephen. I am installing a 4R70W auto trans and am going to a 1 piece drive shaft.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:28 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim and Austin
brake question. installing new brake shoes today on rear axle. the brakes were already off the truck when we bought it. going through boxes I found what I thought was everything. when installing I noticed it did not have the cable and foot for self adjusters. I guess no self adj in 52.
What I am baffled with is what I think is the bottom spring wants to ride right on top of the adj wheel. actually riding on it, this just doesn't seem right to me. I have never worked on a brake system that did not self adj with the cable and foot that rides on the wheel. Anyone got any pictures? Or any pointers thanks js.
Yes, the spring goes right on top of the starwheel.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
how odd is this? Like most others we wanted info from the vin plate of our truck.
The manufacture date turns out is Jan.13. The truck is a 1952. I was born on Jan 13,1952! I am thinking this is unbelievable Austin's truck was built the day I was born! Come to find out it was not built in 1952 because the serial number was to high. It appears it was manufactured on Jan 13 1953. Still unique.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
That is still neat to know! You and Austin were meant to have that truck!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
somethings wrong on the rear axle! I just finished reassemble and wanted to move the complete rear axle and springs out of the way and move on. Here is my problem. The left rear brake drum lacks about 3/16" going on all the way. The drum hits the rear axle and the drum just barely does cover the shoes.
I had the axles out and installed new brgs, yes they are on all the way. I installed new seals, completely cleaned and painted all parts and reassembled with new brake shoes .
This is what I know, the old brake shoes rode in the drums in exactly the same place before this truck was torn down. I pulled the rear axles back out and they are the same length, the brgs are on correctly, switched sides with the axles and still have the same problem. the drum hits the axle before the drum slides in closer to the backing plate.
this is on the left side of the axle. I did notice the housing tube is shorter on this side slightly above 1/8" difference?
I am second guessing the depth of the wheel seal and wondering if the brg retainer is hitting against it. However When I pulled it apart the old seal showed no signs of this and I can tell the shoes are riding exactly where they did before.
Anyone been there and seen this before on a Dana 44?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
Are your drums the same? What happens if you swap drums from side to side? Does the axle stick out of the housing the same amount on both sides?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
yes the drums are the same. I measured the backing plate to axle and there is a difference of slightly over 1/8". I am thinking the tube on the left side should have been the same length as the right tube on the rear
end hsg. the measurement I am speaking of is from the backing plate to the receiver on the 3rd member.
I wonder if there is a shim?? This would move the backing plate to close this gap.
I have never seen a shim before but I can't stretch the tube.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
You might take off the differential cover and see where the axle is coming into the gear. There could be something out of place and in the way there.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:23 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim and Austin
yes the drums are the same. I measured the backing plate to axle and there is a difference of slightly over 1/8". I am thinking the tube on the left side should have been the same length as the right tube on the rear
end hsg. the measurement I am speaking of is from the backing plate to the receiver on the 3rd member.
I wonder if there is a shim?? This would move the backing plate to close this gap.
I have never seen a shim before but I can't stretch the tube.
Pictures would help us a lot.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
I'll take some photos after while

Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
After getting the mystery of the brake drum and backing plate settled (the left rear backing plate was offset slightly, come to find out the numbers on neither side were what the truck called for) Austin and I moved on . We got the cab off and on the floor of the garage. Austin learned how to heat metal with a torch today to straighten the rear cross member which was slightly bent. We got that taken care of. cleaned outside of one frame rail from the front running board bracket to the rear of the frame.
I pulled the inspection cover off the bell housing and confirmed the clutch and pressure plate are new just as the PO told me they were. I also made gaskets for the backing plates. Tim sent me two backing plates yesterday morn from Ca. Might paint them sunshine yellow! In the garage about 5 hrs today. While in there it snowed about 6".
I'll post some updated pics tomorrow.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:58 PM
mike.rogers
Senior User
Y'all are making some great progress Jim. Glad y'all got the brakes fixed too.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:02 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rite on guys, Im so pleased you back on schedule and making head way again.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
We received the backing plates from Tim yesterday. I got the rear axle brakes all reassembled this morning and completed he rear axle.. We moved on to the frame pulled the motor and transmission and removed the front axle. Frank cleaned the rest of the outside frame preparing for paint. I cleaned the front axle and painted it. Tomorrow we will strip the inside and cross members of the frame. And turn it over to get the bottom flange on Thursday, or so the plan goes! Making a little progress!!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
You're making excellent progress!

Quick Reply: Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1