1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1

My Grandson Austin turns 17 this month. He decided he wanted an old truck last year so he bought one! Austin was born deaf and mildly autistic. He purchased the truck with money he saved from gardening an selling produce two years and allowance over the years. We are very proud of him!
I have spent a lifetime working in auto and large truck mechanical repairs. This is my first attempt of a revitalization of this kind.
I think we can pull this off and be a great project to complete together. We will also in .list the help of my best friend Frank. He can weld and fix anything, or so he says! To his credit he really does know this older stuff.
The old F1 is really in decent shape. The PO had already disassembled the vehicle when we located it and decided to purchase it. All the parts appear to be there. We do not know anything about the engine other than it turns over. It is supposed to have low miles since overhaul however that is to be determined.
Austin wants his truck to be original with some modifications to the upholstery of seat, maybe the wheels, and he wanted the hood insulation kit from LMC with the Ford Logo. I do not agree with his choice as I wanted to place it on a 4x4 blazer frame. It is his truck so will do it his way.
I mentioned Austin is mildly autistic. His attention to detail is excellent. I know he will be watching me!
We got the rear axle out tore down the springs. we used a 4" Dewalt angle grinder with a heavy braided brush to clean the rust off. We removed both axles, backing plates, emergency brake cables and cleaned and prepared it all for primer. going back with new wheel cylinders, axle bearings, and wheel seals.
We are going to use equipment black paint from tractor supply for the frame differential, and front axle, and springs. We are priming with Tractor Supply grey primer. For the springs and axles we are brushing the paint I hope this is not a mistake as I do have a spray gun. I am heating the garage with a wood burner so I did not want to spray. This is an educational project so safety is first! We are in SE Ohio although we have had a mild December winter is upon us!
Well that where we are at starting the new year. I guesstimate approx. 2000 man hours to complete this project. We will strip it all down and make the necessary repairs like everyone else has tackled.
I myself am having a hard time getting excited about spending good money on old technology. Old flathead with 3 on the tree, and a 4.27 rear end, might cruise 45mph. It is a piece of AMERICAN MADE history.
I am disappointed to see so many of the replacement parts are made in china.
We have already inventoried 90% of all the rubber components, water pump rebuild kits, carb kit, 6 volt battery, Emergency Brake cable 'front", clutch and brake pedal bushings etc.
We bought a lot of stuff from Midwest Early Ford in Springfield, Oh, these guys are great to deal with. We bought the rubber floor mat from Dennis Carpenter I believe it was $125 and came off an identical to original new mold so it was a good deal and well pleased with the detail of the mat.
Christmas was good to the old truck as Austin got a lot of stuff he needed from family!
I am sure as the project continues I will need a bit of assistance from those experienced with these older trucks.
I just wanted to take the time to share this particular project. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!
I am attaching a few pics FYR. Thanks Jim S

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
Looks like a great project and so far you have done well to listen to Austin wrt the frame swap. I have a sister who lives on a farm in Seaman OH...I have only been there once but I know how brutal the weather can be when you are trying to have some fun in the garage. Austin is fortunate to have a caring papaw to help him realize one of his dreams. You will find a lot of experienced F1 folks here on the FTE, welcome and good luck with your project.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Thank You. Yes Seaman is not far from me I am at 45629 maybe 40 minutes.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! Great project summary and goals. Sorry, I'm with the young'un on staying stock. Enjoy the journey.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

That's a nice project truck and you're both going to enjoy this build. I like the plan to keep it stock.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Here is another stocker saying keep it mostly stock. Frame swaps are not easy and can lead to a lot of problems. I don't even know if a Blazer frame would work. If you want a better cruising speed maybe a rear end swap would be easier. With a Ford 9 inch rear you can change out the gears.

Keep us posted with lots of pictures. And good luck!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome and great that your working with your grandson on this. As Abe said the 70 and earlier 9" is an easy upgrade on these trucks and does make it better as a driver... and still maintains the stock 5x5-1/2" bolt pattern.

I would also like to add the addition of disk front helps with stopping it after she get going... and can also maintain the stock 5x5-1/2" bolt pattern.

Keep the pics coming as we luv our trucks and our members builds

Old 01-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome story! I learned how to assemble Schwinn bicycles from my grandpa. I'm sure Austin will remember this for the rest of his life!

Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The ultimate New Year feel good story. Everyone wins! Keep us posted on the progress.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
I'm on Austin's side! A gear ratio change can make a world of difference. A 5- speed swap can be made to look near stock and make a big difference also.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
mike.rogers
Senior User
AWESOME story Jim. Glad to see y'all doing this together. That will make a memory for a lifetime for Austin...

I have a 49 f1. I recently purchased a 70 f100 for parts. I've already installed the rearend out of the f100 and it bolted right in. Mine came with a inline 6 cyl and old 4 speed so using the 302 and the 4 speed from the 70 model will really help me out on the speed. My nephew came by again today and said he had a C4 I could have if I want it.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
you all win, stock it is. I met an older gent at NAPA today while ordering new rear axle bearings, wheel seals, pinion seal, and 1/2 pint of meadow green paint for comparison he told me he thought he had 3 original wheels so we will go out there Thursday and see if we can find them. He said they should be in the loft of his barn and he was not able to get up there to check. He has an old 36 Ford Austin will like that. Got the springs almost finished have to turn them and paint the underside. The rear axle is cleaned and in primer ready to paint and reassemble the axles and brakes. Austin got the backing plates sandblasted and they are primed. Should have the rear axle finished in a couple days. Probably won't work out there for a day or two they are talking single digit temps here. I stay in and watch Gunsmoke!

Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I love family projects, and this one is a real heart warmer for me. I treasure my memories of time spent with my grandfather, and I m sure Austin will forever treasure these memories. Im glad you chose FTE as the place to share your project, you won't have any trouble getting any questions answered here that's for sure. Have fun guys.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Thanks Jimmy. Oh by the way that picture of the green F1 in Abe's response looks like the goal for us. Hoping for good health and productive days!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jim,
My son Zack & I worked together on our truck starting when he was 17.
Kept him out of trouble - he's now got it up at college. Should be a lot of fun - keep the pics coming.

Which one are you in the pic? Sunglasses?

Looking good up there in Ohio!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Quick Reply: Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1