1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea that's me in the tinted glasses and resting the arm, my buddy Frank is telling me its no problem. This will be a great educational piece for Austin I am hoping some of my other grandsons put down there electronics for a while and get interested too.
Austin is looking forward to taking it to the local car shows. There is a nice one in Wheelersburg Ohio the last Sat. of each month. We may load up a work in progress this summer and let him participate. If I don't miss my guess he will keep this one for a lifetime. That's how he is. Life is about the journey and the memories I am looking forward to the days ahead of us while we "get her done".

Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim and Austin
Thanks Jimmy. Oh by the way that picture of the green F1 in Abe's response looks like the goal for us. Hoping for good health and productive days!
Meadow Green is a nice color!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Abe the paint code is N which according to research is Meadow Brook Green. I had a half pint of this mixed and it was not close to the Original green which I have found hidden under rubber on the exterior. I believe the Meadow Green is the correct color. We tend to favor green. I want to get the paint color so we can go to an upholstery shop and pick out some covering for the seat. His Bday is later this month newly upholstered seat would make a good present!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,478 Posts
I don't know the paint codes or the names of the paint for 52. The paint code for Meadow green in 54 is R.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 401 Likes on 189 Posts
Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Its great bonding tool these trucks of ours. I enjoy the time you have the younger ones attention in the garage.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Abe the paint code is N which according to research is Meadow Brook Green.
Paint code "N" for 1952 was Vermillion (red). Paint code "M" was for Meadow Green. There was no Meadow Brook Green in 51 or 52.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What we have here folks is a story worthy of one of those "making a difference" stories at the end of the national news on Friday evenings.

Good on ya Jim, and keep the progress reports coming.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
I want to get the paint color so we can go to an upholstery shop and pick out some covering for the seat. His Bday is later this month newly upholstered seat would make a good present!
There are very good upholstery kits available from Mac's - the Cartouche line - and from Lebaron Bonney, among others. Replacement headliner kits are also offered. If you have a very detail oriented worker, the work is very much within the abilities of most.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great project for you men.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Frank and I made a little progress today springs painted, rear end needs flipped to finish detail paint on top half, steering column and box removed, clutch and brake pedal removed, wiring and gauges disconnected and removed from inside of cab, floor of cab swept out and sealer removed from seams, doors removed and windshield and back glass removed, Austin sandblasted small parts like clutch and brake pedal and brackets, u bolts, and watched to be sure we did not damage anything as we stripped it out. Pretty good day overall.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
I have viewed several different sites on the web and noticed variances in the data I have also seen code N as Vermillian Red but for the most part they show N as Meadow Green or meadow brook green, I don't know, but I am sure the truck was green originally before it was painted blue because green is everywhere when we started taking stuff out and off the truck. The medow brook green I had mixed for a comparison was a lighter shade than the green I am finding inside the truck and under the windshield and rear window seals. The green looks like the truck Abe has on his reply posted earlier. I read on one web page that in some plant locations N was vermillion red. I will check out the seat covers mentioned also. Austin wants the seat a little fancier than stock. We are thinking Black around the edges and bottom with a green insert and stitched maybe 1 1/2" seams in the green inserts. I don't know he will figure it out.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:17 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have viewed several different sites on the web and noticed variances in the data I have also seen code N as Vermillian Red but for the most part they show N as Meadow Green or meadow brook green, I don't know, but I am sure the truck was green originally before it was painted blue because green is everywhere when we started taking stuff out and off the truck. The medow brook green I had mixed for a comparison was a lighter shade than the green I am finding inside the truck and under the windshield and rear window seals. The green looks like the truck Abe has on his reply posted earlier. I read on one web page that in some plant locations N was vermillion red. I will check out the seat covers mentioned also. Austin wants the seat a little fancier than stock. We are thinking Black around the edges and bottom with a green insert and stitched maybe 1 1/2" seams in the green inserts. I don't know he will figure it out.
Jim, I don't know where you got info on N being for Meadow green. It was in fact for vermillion. With that said, I have documented over 60 1951-52 trucks here and I have run across a few where the owners insisted that the N and M colors and letters are reversed. Here is what the 1948-1956 Ford truck parts and accessories catalog (revised 1964) shows.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
interesting

Old 01-06-2016, 12:06 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had some discussions here about miss stamped plates. After all, they were hand stamped and errors are possible. Seems most of the errors are caused by the change in code for a given color. Example - early in 1953 production run the worker stamps a bunch of meadow green trucks with a M before remembering new code is R. Then in early 1954 he's stamping all the Meadow green trucks R until a Vermilion (Red) truck comes along and he checks what code that is supposed to be and "dang oops oh well". You can only imagine the slander on the assembly line directed at the engineers.

Quick Reply: Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1