2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big amp draw killing my battery.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Turbolark
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big amp draw killing my battery.

I have been searching and reading, and am confused on what to try for my situation.

2005 f150 xlt supercrew. Battery dead overnight. New battery installed, and it was drained after a few days use, then an overnight sit.
I hooked up my meter as required to check for an amp draw. 5.87a draw. Disconnected alternator, no change. Started pulling fuses. Fuse #107 Power Door Lock(BSM) pulled drops down to 1.04a. Radio power fuse pulled also, drops to .033a. I have had a problem with the 6 disc changer trying to load, read, eject etc so I will be changing out the head unit.
I am stumped as to what to try for the 107 fuse though. Please help.
Thanks.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:43 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Did you wait the required 35-45 minutes after disturbing ANYTHING for the battery saver to time out before make your current reading?

If you did not, your readings are premature and aren't valid, instead they're indicating the typical loads for the then current conditions.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Turbolark
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Did you wait the required 35-45 minutes after disturbing ANYTHING for the battery saver to time out before make your current reading?

If you did not, your readings are premature and aren't valid, instead they're indicating the typical loads for the then current conditions.
I have had the meter measuring the draw for nearly an hour with no change. the problem is that the BSM is clicking while testing, and the headlights are flickering at the same time. I made sure first thing this morning that the headlight switch was on the off position. While it is doing this clicking and flickering hitting the remote does nothing. With the battery hooked up normal everything seems to work as it should.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:03 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
I have had the meter measuring the draw for nearly an hour with no change. the problem is that the BSM is clicking while testing, and the headlights are flickering at the same time.
It would have been helpful if you'd included that information in the first place.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
If I remember correct F107 goes to the vsm . I have seen water from a rear window leak damage them and cause your issues .

Old 01-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Turbolark
New User
It would have been helpful if you'd included that information in the first place.
I hadn't let it go for the long time till just before you posted, and noticed it while doing it sorry.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Turbolark
New User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
If I remember correct F107 goes to the vsm . I have seen water from a rear window leak damage them and cause your issues .
Yes, 107 is power constant to the BSM, or vsM..whichever you prefer. My owners manual shows it as BSM which is why I call it that.
The only thing I have been able to figure is its jacked. What do the damn things cost?

Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
If , as others I have seen , it is mounted in the rear of the cab on the rear wall ...
You may be able to dry it out if it got damp . I have been able to do that with a couple with good results .

Old 01-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Turbolark
New User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
If , as others I have seen , it is mounted in the rear of the cab on the rear wall ...
You may be able to dry it out if it got damp . I have been able to do that with a couple with good results .
We havnt had rain in a while but I'll pull it and give a once over. It's hard to understand the module is bad with everything it controls working just fine. Power door locks work, light come on and dim. I hate electrical crap. Lol

Old 01-04-2016, 12:51 AM
4rdfvr
Freshman User
I have the same problem.is there a way to check if the bsm is faulty?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:11 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
the problem is that the BSM is clicking while testing, and the headlights are flickering at the same time.
This would indicate a problem with the meter or it's leads, not the BSM itself. It sounds like the meter is dropping too much voltage across it and there isn't enough left to properly run the module.

You would need a second meter connected as a voltmeter across the ammeter's connections in order to confirm.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Turbolark
New User
This would indicate a problem with the meter or it's leads, not the BSM itself. It sounds like the meter is dropping too much voltage across it and there isn't enough left to properly run the module.

You would need a second meter connected as a voltmeter across the ammeter's connections in order to confirm.
Yeah, my cheapo meter was causing the issues with the bsm clicking.
It was causeing the bsm to try to set off the alarm, and the big part of the draw was the headlights dimly flashing. It was dim enough that I could not see them flash during the day.

When I eliminated the the bsm draw, I was left with a 1a draw from the radio power. Apparently the cd changer was constantly trying to swap, eject, etc cd's. I installed a new radio yesterday, and this morning the truck is working as it should.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 AM
sinaiflash2
New User
hi. i'm having the same draw problem and have done all of the basic's. i have isolated it to the loom going into the fuse box from the right fender area. it's hard to pull the fuses in my truck for several reasons, all of which make it hard to pull fuses, raise up to look at tester hooked at the batt. then try to replace the pulled fuse. for me having just went through a 6th back surgery, it is almost impossible to get to the fuses closest to the firewall. maybe if i can't find a bendable little guy to help me i'll pull the right seat. i have seen in the past few days that these are not isolated problems and there are lots of folks with the same type of draw problem. i'm hoping to turn on my computer to find someone has given me the solution to finding the trouble..................waiting................th ank you

Old 04-15-2016, 03:58 PM
sinaiflash2
New User
still having the draw problem. i have seen over 60 posts with the same problem. i went to ford dealer and asked him if he's had any experience with this problem, they said they have never seen this problem.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:14 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Find a good independent shop. One with a good rep.

Quick Reply: Big amp draw killing my battery.