1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

My 69 f100 pig-pen build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I see. Do you think it was a hit that's been repaired? Was there any evidence in the way the panels fit? Sorry for all the questions.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:23 PM
danhigor
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. Looking forward to following along with your progress.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh, a little grease and it'll buff right out! LOL

Old 01-18-2016, 07:39 AM
69pig-penf100
Senior User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
If you're asking for opinions on the firewall color, I think it would look better black or the body color.

Ultra thanks for the suggestion I think your right and the black would look really good esp after I finish up the frame. I've been trying to think of how to add a little bit more color to the truck since everything is the same color.

Originally Posted by fe390pc
I hate to say this, but that frame is bent pretty bad on the passenger side. Between the spring perch and the cab mount.

Fe I believe you are right we noticed that when we were doing research on the VIN. It looks like the two rails in front of the spring perch's were replaced from a f250 there's some nice weld marks on the inside of the frame. We have been contemplating on what we should do to fix it and make it a little straighter

Originally Posted by Coastal68
I see. Do you think it was a hit that's been repaired? Was there any evidence in the way the panels fit? Sorry for all the questions.

Coastal all the panels fit great before tear down, it looks like it was repaired and hit before not sure if they did the best job ever but it was a job non the less and no worries on the questions keep them coming ill answer to the best of my ability.

Originally Posted by danhigor
Subscribed. Looking forward to following along with your progress.

Danhigor Welcome! I'll try to keep you entertained along the process

Originally Posted by GaryKip
Oh, a little grease and it'll buff right out! LOL

Gary lol I think you might be onto something!!

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 69pig-penf100
On a real note I seriously can't wait until I can put this baby back together and hear her roar!! I need to run the desktop dyno to see what kind of compression ill have need to make sure ill be able to burn a little bit of rubber in sneaky sneaky pig-pen!

ANYONE HAVE DYNO DESKTOP?
I recall Mike has the software... The Mike with the 68 F100 currently swapping to discs and a Dentside Ford 9... truck's name is Pebbles.

On the VIN, go with the flow. DMV/DOT won't care so long as they don't know and the paperwork matches something legal.

Firewall... black or body color. Try to limit the engine to four colors.... black, Ford blue, silver, and cast grey. I dunno why some paint boosters blue... it's not something I'd wanna call attention to... go for simple elegance rather than looking like a circus show.

Subscribed.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:53 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Just checked in, as have been traveling and what not, but I am enjoying your build, and all the great photos. I did not realize how much different the frames on the 2wd were from the 4wd. I did a similar cab-off, frame-up build on my '68 Highboy, and it is remarkable how different they are. As to your firewall, I prefer a light color, as there isn't much light under there, with the huge hood we have. Keep up the photos amigo and nice work..

Baja

Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The light color is a good idea. Like Baja said. The silver or cast grey that Hio mentioned would work nice and still keep it light. Fordification web site has engine calculator, click on the"links and resources", then near the bottom of the page you'll see "automotive calculator ".

Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM
69pig-penf100
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I recall Mike has the software... The Mike with the 68 F100 currently swapping to discs and a Dentside Ford 9... truck's name is Pebbles.

On the VIN, go with the flow. DMV/DOT won't care so long as they don't know and the paperwork matches something legal.

Firewall... black or body color. Try to limit the engine to four colors.... black, Ford blue, silver, and cast grey. I dunno why some paint boosters blue... it's not something I'd wanna call attention to... go for simple elegance rather than looking like a circus show.

Subscribed.

HIO, Thanks for the info I will definitely be getting with MIKE to get a nice idea!! I'm with you on the VIN my paper work is good and that is what matters but my curiosity is what is killing me!! lol I just like knowing a little history about her. I couldn't have said it better myself simple elegance has a nice ring to it the cast grey sounds like it would be a nice accent to the ford blue ill have to do a test and see what it looks like. Quick question I followed your build amazing by the way great work!! but I was curious when you painted the frame and fire wall how much self etching primer did you have to use like 2 coats?

Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Just checked in, as have been traveling and what not, but I am enjoying your build, and all the great photos. I did not realize how much different the frames on the 2wd were from the 4wd. I did a similar cab-off, frame-up build on my '68 Highboy, and it is remarkable how different they are. As to your firewall, I prefer a light color, as there isn't much light under there, with the huge hood we have. Keep up the photos amigo and nice work..

Baja

Thanks Baja!! it is crazy how much of a difference they are. I hope the traveling has been good ill be sure to keep the pictures coming its amazing seeing the before middle and after pictures!! P.S there will be more after this post hope everyone enjoys.

Originally Posted by GaryKip
The light color is a good idea. Like Baja said. The silver or cast grey that Hio mentioned would work nice and still keep it light. Fordification web site has engine calculator, click on the"links and resources", then near the bottom of the page you'll see "automotive calculator ".
Gary, Thanks for the info I went straight to the calculator and got a rough estimate 10.3 to 1 this should be interesting I think you and HIO are right the cast grey would be a nice touch not to dark but not to light !!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:47 AM
69pig-penf100
Senior User
Hey guys so I went back at it for a good 4 hrs after work and I think my hands are still shaking from handling the ginder! I did uncover a pretty decent crack that I'm going to have to reweld...she looks like she was in a pretty bad front end collision at some point of time but now she is in good hands because I got a buffer

I still have a lot of grinding to do but heres a few before and mid pictures
Name:  photo975.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  1.06 MB
Name:  photo582.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  1.01 MB
Name:  photo145.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  1.09 MB
Name:  photo478.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  1.02 MB
Name:  photo495.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  984.6 KB
Name:  photo329.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  1.03 MB
Name:  photo708.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  938.0 KB
Name:  photo863.jpg
Views: 351
Name:  photo603.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  1.07 MB
Name:  photo425.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  1.03 MB
Name:  photo239.jpg
Views: 369

To be continued....

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
You are wearing protective eye coverings... aren't you? I saw a safety photo once, with a pair of safety goggles, with a wire stuck half way through the lens, like an arrow. Makes me shudder each time I recall it.
I was lucky to be able to borrow my son's Landa pressure washer, with sand injection. The water & sand together, at 3500 lbs, took everything down to bare metal, even in the hard to reach areas.. Rent one if you can... it makes a mess, but that's why God made brooms & mops...

Keep both eyes, wear protection...

baja

Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 69pig-penf100
HIO, Thanks for the info I will definitely be getting with MIKE to get a nice idea!! I'm with you on the VIN my paper work is good and that is what matters but my curiosity is what is killing me!! lol I just like knowing a little history about her. I couldn't have said it better myself simple elegance has a nice ring to it the cast grey sounds like it would be a nice accent to the ford blue ill have to do a test and see what it looks like. Quick question I followed your build amazing by the way great work!! but I was curious when you painted the frame and fire wall how much self etching primer did you have to use like 2 coats?

Thanks.. it was a long road with the LBB. I find myself unmotivated lately to work on my 73 4x4... rainy weather sucks and I work on it outside.

In terms of self etching primer, yes... one tack coat and then a wet coat. Rustoleum is my choice for spray cans... I also used Rustoleum satin black/semi-gloss black engine enamel - a tack coat and then like three wet coats. I buy'em a case at a time from Summit. I suggest blowing everything apart before applying the color.

If there is one change I would do, it is to shoot the water pump Ford blue instead of silver. Overall, I am happy with how the LBB's engine turned out.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM
69pig-penf100
Senior User
You are wearing protective eye coverings... aren't you? I saw a safety photo once, with a pair of safety goggles, with a wire stuck half way through the lens, like an arrow. Makes me shudder each time I recall it.
I was lucky to be able to borrow my son's Landa pressure washer, with sand injection. The water & sand together, at 3500 lbs, took everything down to bare metal, even in the hard to reach areas.. Rent one if you can... it makes a mess, but that's why God made brooms & mops...

baja
Baja! Good looking out, you sure know how to our the fear of God in someone lol jk I was wearing safety goggles if the military taught me anything it was that you can't do anything with out your eye pro and reflector belt

See I had my glasses on in this picture I didn't have my breathing mask on because I started to sweat lol
Name:  photo534.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  1.23 MB

But thanks to your advice guess who just ordered one of these should be here in a week though so I guess that means I can try to finish up those floor pans this weekend and maybe start the motor work
Name:  photo617.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  382.3 KB

Oh and just because here's my right hand keep me company man

Name:  photo572.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  1.02 MB

Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM
69pig-penf100
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Thanks.. it was a long road with the LBB. I find myself unmotivated lately to work on my 73 4x4... rainy weather sucks and I work on it outside.

In terms of self etching primer, yes... one tack coat and then a wet coat. Rustoleum is my choice for spray cans... I also used Rustoleum satin black/semi-gloss black engine enamel - a tack coat and then like three wet coats. I buy'em a case at a time from Summit. I suggest blowing everything apart before applying the color.

If there is one change I would do, it is to shoot the water pump Ford blue instead of silver. Overall, I am happy with how the LBB's engine turned out.
Sorry to hear...having to do all work outside has its downsides aka weather. esp when the person doing the work is as organized as you are I really liked how everything was precise and order to your build.

This may be a total noob question but I've never done much body work or painting I should say. Mechanics have always been my expertise but...when you refer to a tack coat and wet coat are you referring to have a coat where it starts to dry and get tacky and then a wet coat meaning not letting it dry? and the blowing everything apart?

P.S in all honesty either way the water pump looks great! I liked the silver but then again I like the little accents of silver so I might be a little biased lol The LBB did turn out amazing those wheels set it off right I cant wait until I a able to post a picture like you getting the alignment done

Old 01-19-2016, 01:03 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thank you for your service amigo. There are plenty of ex-servicemen on this site, and we are all proud to have served. The Navy taught me to wear protective gear, and at 71, I still have all my 'Factory' installed stock body parts, well, minus a few teeth, some were saved by that protection though. Looks like you were well trained, and know what the PPE is for. Nice job by the way...

Baja

Old 01-19-2016, 01:13 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

baja
I've had to make that trip to the doctor to get metal dug out of my eye. That was not fun.

I was porting a set of cylinder heads with a carbide bit. It sort of bobble when I was at the radius in the corner of the port. When the bit chattered, it showered me in the face with a bunch of tiny metal shards. Some of them went under my safety glasses and into my left eye.

I stopped what I was doing to try and get the debris out of my eye. Everything SEEMED fine and I continued on about my business. That evening (HOURS later) I went to bed. In the early moring hours, I woke up with my eye pouring tears and it felt like I had barbed wire under my eyelid.

I went to the eye doctor and he looked at my eye under magnification and said I had a bunch of filings stuck in my eyeball. He scraped them out and then took a knurled device and buffed the surface of my eye where the iron had made rust rings. --not a pleasant experience at all.

Now, I either use goggles or, safety glasses WITH the added protection of a face shield.

Quick Reply: My 69 f100 pig-pen build