South Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SC_Hoaty

Good story about a good local diesel tech, Fletchers Diesel shop in Greenville

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good story about a good local diesel tech, Fletchers Diesel shop in Greenville

I just wanted to relay a positive story.

After 175k leak-free miles, my HPOP started leaking oil recently. After some research, cleaning, diagnosing and investigation, I determined it was the non-serviceable plug.

I had been taking my truck to the local ford dealer every 30k for coolant and tranny flushes (only), so the last time I did I told them it was leaking oil, Im pretty sure it was the non serviceable plug, and to let me know how much to fix it.

They came back and said it was the rear main seal and it would be $$$$ to drop the tranny and replace. I of course said don't touch it. When I got it back, again I cleaned the valley, went in there with a light and mirror and verified the oil was coming from the top. I actually got a wrench on the plug and it was definitely loose and I snugged it up very slightly. Leak slowed down for a while. Meanwhile, upon return of my truck from the dealer, my degas bottle was leaking. So I called them up, raised hell, and told them to fix the leaking bottle that wasnt leaking before. Also told them what I verified about the oil leak and to take another look.

They put up a little fight on the degas bottle, but eventually replaced it for no charge. On the oil leak, they said "Well, your ICP sensor is leaking but most of it is coming from the rear main."

I said, "No, its not, give me my truck back."

I really kind of wanted to do this repair myself, because Ive read a bunch on this forum about it and confident I could tackle it myself. But Im pressed for time these days, plus I've got a big bumper and X codes on the front, so I really need an overhead creeper. I almost bought one but decided to try and find a good independent tech to do it first.

Well, Jason Fletcher of Fletcher's Diesel Shop in Greenville, SC is the guy.

I purchased the long threaded plug and new HPOP gasket from Riff-Raff, which arrived promptly. I took it all to Fletchers shop and told him what I wanted done. He said sure. And here is the best part; he did it fast, right, AND cheap, which is not supposed to be possible.

The EX is now leak-free and dry, top to bottom. Ive also got a good coating of rust-prevention on the underside of my truck, because I just let it leak for about 6 months.

So thanks to this Forum, Riff Raff diesel, and Fletchers Diesel shop, my problem was fixed.