1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

302,T5 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 302,T5 suspension?

Hey guys, for the last couple of days I have been reading through different threads about fellas that have done ifs on their trucks. I realize there are a ton of different options. I was hoping to ask the people that have their trucks finished with ifs a few different questions.

1. Which did you pick and why? (Cost, availability, researched ride quality, etc.)
2. What all did you have to do to make it fit? Did you need to cut, widen, narrow, c notch?
3. What kind of hiccups did you run into?

Now I am going to be running a mostly stock 302 coupled with a T5 on what I would like to use as a summer time daily driver. I am not looking at spending 4K on just a front suspension, but with that mentioned I am not opposed to spending a bit on one something that is worth while. I am not looking for a low rider or a jacked up 4x4, General ride height is so the wheel sits about flush with the wheel well opening.

I'm not wanting for anyone to get offended in this thread as I know some of you are quite passionate about your suspension, just wanting to talk to people that have been through this experience and emerged out the other side with smiles as they cruise around town.

any input that you guys have I would appreciate greatly,

Sorry about the long post, just figure if you know what I'm kind of looking for then it may help with the advice you suggest.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I'll play here.
I had a 56 and installed a 75 Volare front clip on it. I totally enjoyed driving the 56 after the addition, tracked straight and rode smooth. I picked this front end because a friend of mine had a 56 also and he installed one in one day. He did not cut the frame, some angle brackets and new rubber mounts.
I of course liked the lower look so I "c" notched the frame and mounted the volare clip into the frame.
The cost of this clip from the dismantlers at the time was 150 complete, with an additional cost of 200-250 for misc, (brakes, rotors, calipers, welding supplies and steering couplings).
Don't feel like I hit any hiccups other than to me the norm for doing this type of swap, so I guess the one that comes to mind was the power steering box interference with the exhaust conflict. Which I resolved by redoing the engines mount on that side.
I am using the 76 Aspen front clip on my current project, a 55 ford panel and resolve the same issue by moving the engine towards the passenger side 2", but wish I would have went 1 3/4, 1/4 means a lot.
Availability, not to much in this day, still can be found but rare. Most disposable parts (bushings, brakes, rotors calipers) can still be had, sway bars, lower and upper a arms and torsion bars will require hitting dismantle yards.
Over all I am satisfied with this swap.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:10 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
We have some Volare momentum so I might as well pile on since they get no love anymore. I've been rolling one for 11 years and it is a very smooth and dependable ride with good brakes and steering on the cheap. I get annoyed when I hear them trashed because 11 years of actually driving the truck says different. I wouldn't do another today just because parts availability 15 years from now may not be good. I stored away spare parts though they just collect dust in the attic.

I have no personal experience but if I was to do it again today probably a Crown Vic on a budget, or one of the aftermarkets such as a Wide Ride from No Limit if I had money to burn on a pretty IFS.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I also have the transverse torsion bar front end (aka Volare, mine is actually a Diplomat). Been in for over 20 years with no issues or problems. Mine is cut into the frame and I run Fatman dropped spindles. Very inexpensive. I have no regrets with my decision.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
That's exactly the information that I'm looking for, thanks for "playing here" gerrymoe.

That wide ride ifs from no limit looks great Fatfenders, thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Any one else willing to contribute with their experiences on ifs installs and ride performance?

Old 12-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
How do you find the ride height truckeemtnfords? Also what model of T5 do you have? And what gears in the 9"? You are just running the setup that I'm going to be installing so want to know what your input is on it or if there was something that you would change

Thanks

Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
The ride is about 6" at the bottom of the front bumper, so it has a nice low look to it and rides great. The T5, if I remember correctly is a 1992 Ford. I run 3.89 gears in my 9" and feel is a great ratio with the overdrive and 28" tires. I can't say that I dislike anything with my engine, trans, diff or suspension set-up. My only issue is with the Ford P/S pump and the Chrysler steering box, it is twitchy due to the pump pressure but I am working on fixing that, may go to a Saginaw pump that I can shim for lower pressure.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:01 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Silver

The PICs are old as dirt but there are a number in my gallery that show the ride height. You can get low without drop spindles and really put her in the dirt with the spindles. Mine is stock Volare. It's 100% personal preference but mine is going to be adjusted up just a tick soon for better street manners. I really don't rub now but I have to be a little cautious. And yes the steering is quick. One finger steering is what you have with Ford pump and Chrysler box. They make a pressure reducer but I never got around to buying it.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:03 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Jaguar IFS in both my builds, cheap and easy. I am in the middle of putting a jag IFS in my 41 caddy, I should get back to finishing my trucks..

Old 12-19-2015, 03:23 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Silver54
How do you find the ride height truckeemtnfords?

Thanks
Jim probably cut the front edge of the "C" notch approx. 2-3" into the frame to approx. 1/2' in the rear. The "C" notch was approx. 25" long because that is what I cut mine and mine has about the same height as his. I have 8" at the bottom of my front frame horns at loaded ride height with 7 at the bottom of bumper. The advantage of the fatman lowering spindles allow Jim to adjust his torsion bars either way for his ride desire also for ease of height adjustability. With notching this clip up into the frame without using the lowered spindles you lose a lot of the ride adjustability, for this reason I also used the fatman lowering spindles for my 55, but I have not drove it to be able to give a ride report, but am confidant that it will help with my experience with the 56.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Fatfenders, I like the stance of your truck. If from some of those pictures I would only drop that about one more inch, that's just where I like to see it sitting though. Awesome build by the way.

Thanks truckeemtnfords, only thing different (besides the suspension which I haven't decide on yet) would be that I was contemplating running 3.5 gears in the 9". Thought that with the 3.89 it may have been running a bit high on the highway.

Drptop70ss I will try and read through your builds this evening to get an idea how the jag ifs went in.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Silver54
Fatfenders, I like the stance of your truck. If from some of those pictures I would only drop that about one more inch, that's just where I like to see it sitting though. Awesome build by the way.
If you go Volare I would recommend the drop spindles then. I'm at the edge of how far you should drop the T-bar adjustment before you compromise the stock geometry. Too much trouble to not do it right.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Ok Gerrymoe, was curious about the drop spindles for that reason. All of this is great information as I know damn near nothing about setting up suspension. I was also worried that with the drop spindles that it would be riding way too low... Not looking for a belly dragger. What are you running for the rear suspension? I was hoping just to run with leafs for now, and change later if I desired.

Keep all this information coming!

Thanks guys

Old 12-19-2015, 03:43 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Jason
On my 56 I used a 9" with 2 leaf springs removed 273 gears with a 350 tranny, chevy running gear. Once the volare was mounted the stability on the rear was noticed much more and made me want to do more back there, like four bar with the coil overs but never did. What I am saying is it was not enough to make me want to change on that build.
On my 55 I have installed the 96 Lincoln Mark VIII independent rear which I installed somewhat similarly to the Aspen. My build thread on the panel shows pics.
Have not drove this yet so cannot give a definitive answer to the handling, but feel it has to be better for two reasons more weight on rear wheels now and it is an independent.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
crown vic would get my vote and a explorer rear 8.8 gets my vote. I have a volare, its great and adjustable but crown vic is easier, bigger brakes and rack and pinion.

Quick Reply: 302,T5 suspension?