1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Power steering conversion - not great

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:58 AM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Ordered the remaining 1975 era f100 part for my steering from Advanced Auto today. Should be in about 3 days - drag link, inner and out tie rod and adjuster.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:43 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You're getting there. This order should set you up for a good finish.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:49 AM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GaryKip
You're getting there. This order should set you up for a good finish.
Only variable might be that I need a pitman arm from same generation instead of the one from a 71.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:25 PM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
C&G Ford says they can order me a pitman arm for the 1975 F100. About $92. So that sounds promising - cash register rings again.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 173 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Only variable might be that I need a pitman arm from same generation instead of the one from a 71.
PM sent back to you Hill. But just for information out there, D2TZ3590B (d2ta-3590-ba) also fits Dents.
Also fits:
73/79 F100/250 under 8100# GVW,4X2, regular Cab and Supercab, with P/S.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 PM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
PM sent back to you Hill. But just for information out there, D2TZ3590B (d2ta-3590-ba) also fits Dents.
Also fits:
73/79 F100/250 under 8100# GVW,4X2, regular Cab and Supercab, with P/S.
As is always the case your assistance is appreciated.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
As is always the case your assistance is appreciated.
No problem Hill. If you're ever in Phoenix the 1st is on you.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:17 AM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
No problem Hill. If you're ever in Phoenix the 1st is on you.
Need to hop on the harley and head west. AZ is as far as I want to go. Camped some in the Chiricahua National Forest, close to Douglas I think, chasing some elusive bird (Elegant Trogan - barked like a dog) with my brother many years ago.
But really, you and numbers are godsends when it comes this site. It is so clunky working with the parts catalog/illustrated parts catalog. I am assuming Ford has the more modern approach of exploded view approach to identifying parts. We use something like that on the airplanes we build.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Need to hop on the harley and head west. AZ is as far as I want to go. Camped some in the Chiricahua National Forest, close to Douglas I think, chasing some elusive bird (Elegant Trogan - barked like a dog) with my brother many years ago.
But really, you and numbers are godsends when it comes this site. It is so clunky working with the parts catalog/illustrated parts catalog. I am assuming Ford has the more modern approach of exploded view approach to identifying parts. We use something like that on the airplanes we build.
Nope. Well as of 1980 they put stuff in the computer. 1972 and older stuff was and is harder to look up. The 73/79 slides both Car and Truck were revamped a bit and are a lot better. In Bill's and my case, it helps to already know the Basic Number. Usually we already remember the whole part number. Before I lost my job Bill had more time than me to look stuff up just to make sure the ol' noggin' was remembering something correct. So far I do also now.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 PM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Well most of my parts showed up. Drag link was supposed to show up today as well and suddenly says contents of the package are missing. argg.
Front end is disassembled.
Discoveries:
power steering pump appears to be leaking some;
a couple of the items came off way too easily in my book;
had to pull the right front disc caliper to get the tie rod off and it appear the rubber boot from the disc is torn. Went ahead and re-assembled.
Compared the parts I do have with the new ones. Not seeing a lot of difference.
will wait to see what holds with advanced auto and my drag link.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I take it you're meaning that the boot on the caliper piston is torn? If so, take the caliper off and order another one from the parts store. They're cheap and if it isn't in stock and you order it tomorrow (Friday), it'll likely be at the parts store first thing Saturday morning.

A torn caliper boot will let debris get inside and eat away at the piston seal. If it does enough damage, the caliper seal will blow out and you'll lose the front brakes.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 AM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
thanks for the part description - part of the brake caliper repair kit. Both oreilley and napa show to have such items.
Probably go ahead and consider replacing the power steering gear. Won't be a redhead, more like an advanced auto Cardone Power Steering Gear - Remanufactured. I can cut my costs by $40 on this with a coupon.
I am thinking if the power steering gear box is applicable to 1975 f100, that it is a saginaw unit.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:53 PM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Well the leak from the power steering is in front shaft area. But finding a replacement steering gear, outside of redhead, is impossible so far.
Looking up instructions for replacing the dust boot while I perform the other search.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:36 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
When I went to get a (Saginaw) power steering gear box to change my truck to power steering, the O'Reilly and NAPA websites both showed the part and the part number. I wrote the number down and went to my local O'Reilly parts store and said I wanted to order this gear box.

They told me I couldn't get it from them because they could not sell the gear box through some regional stores but, I could order it online (huh?????). I went down the street to NAPA and got pretty much the same answer from them.

I came home and ordered the gear box from O'Reilly's, online. (Gasp! He didn't get a Red Head --it can't possibly work!). The part number is 27-7504. I installed it over a year ago now and I haven't had the first minutes trouble out of it. It may start leaking like a sieve tomorrow but if it does, it has a lifetime warranty on it and I do keep all my receipts.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 PM
hillcountryflt
Cargo Master
Yep, after talking to redhead and figuring out how much the total was going to be with shipping and core ($150) just could not go with that route.
So found the part at Amazon and Carid and was able to get it from carid for about $140 including shipping. I have used Carid before and it's an ok option.
That will make two steering gears in my unused parts collection - the manual from the 71 and now the leaking power unit.
Hopefully it will arrive before my drag link.

Quick Reply: Power steering conversion - not great