1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1971 F250 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Squatch71
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1971 F250 fuel pump

Hello, I picked up (saved) my Dads 1971 F250 Camper Special with a 390 BB. Dad had it rebuilt and installed a 4 barrel Carb in it. it was all clogged and needed cleaned really bad, so I put a Holley 600 CFM Carb... that all said. The factory fuel pump was replaced with a new one 3 years ago... then the truck sat. I finally got it running but had a take a electric fuel pump (inline kind) to get it running... it seemed the mechanical fuel pump wasnt filling the fuel filter.. and not filling the bowls. now my question... what electronic fuel pump would fit my situation. I am going to take the tanks out and clean them and the pick up tube... seems like it is not filling the bowls again... it won't start now...

thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:29 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Squatch, Your money, spend it any way that you want, on any toy that you want. I suspect your tank, lines, pump filter are gummed up from all of the non use. The mechanical pumps have worked well for 50 years although some of the chineeze repos haven't been all that great in recent days.

Give it a good cleaning and go from there, the ol FE should be happy then.

John

Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would clean the whole system and keep the mechanical pump too. Make sure you get the pickup, not car pump so it has the filter canister on it. Or use an inline filter. If you fdo insist on the electric one, also install ab adjustable pressure regulator. 3-4 psi is plenty.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:26 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since it sat so long I would go through the whole fuel system. The gas tanks on these trucks are notorious for clogging/killing the fuel pump and carb if they been sitting. Start at the tank and clean out all the rust and debris blow out the fuel pick up tube and replace all rubber fuel hose with new. If your mechanical fuel pump has a canister filter change it. Blow out the metal line from pump to carb and give the carb a good cleaning. Install some in line filters if you don't have any in the fuel system. No need for the electrical pump unless you really want to run it. The cheap Holley ones at the parts store is what I usually had when I ran a electric pump. Be sure to install a regulator though with any electric pump.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Squatch71
New User
Thanks guys... I blew out all the lines to and from the tank.. even in the tank... shining a flash light inside the tank it looks clean, can see all the way to the bottom..... this is the tank inside the cab.... unhooked from carb and turned the engine over... the line to the carb I put in a mason jar, after a couple of cranks there wasn't much fuel in the jar and it took a while for it to get there... 10-15 seconds. It still won't fill the fuel filter at the carb.... I can't find a filter before the fuel pump anywhere. I shot a light blast of air into the line at the tank, flling up the filter at the carb... its a big plastic filter... turned the key and the truck started right up (still think its not running on all 8-- but thats another time)... I watched as the fuel filter was sucked dry... and it wasn't refilling from the fuel pump very much...... SSOOO im taking your suggestions and replacing the fuel pump... with a mechanical fuel pump....

also while I was under the truck I noticed a nice soft spot in the floor boards........... great...... change that after I get it running and fix the paint on the outside.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:01 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Does your mechanical fuel pump look like this? If it does, then your filter in the canister should be replaced. The canister unscrews from the pump. Sometimes it is difficult to get off but it does come off. Replace filter and rubber gasket.
Carter Fuel Pump Mechanical Ford 360 390 Each | eBay

Old 12-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Squatch71
New User
yes, was told that is not a filter...... hmmmm, ok, thanks... I will try and take it off tomorrow.

thanks tons!!!!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:39 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Not to argue, but as inexpensive as the pump sets are I would replace the whole thing and be done with it. I think $30-35.00 range.

John

Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I paid like $20 for a replacement mechanical pump in my 360 FE engine last year. From my local auto parts store.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jowilker
Not to argue, but as inexpensive as the pump sets are I would replace the whole thing and be done with it. I think $30-35.00 range.

John
This is good advise, however people need to know about the filter in the canister. As we have seen in the past, this filter gets neglected because people are unaware there's a filter in the canister.
I remember one photo (I can't find it) where the person finally got the canister off only to find it so badly plugged with a 40 year old filter that disintegrated causing all of his fuel issues.
Finding the problem and correcting it is just as rewarding as getting it running right.
To the O.P; Hopefully this is the problem, if it is please post pictures of what you find.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Squatch71
New User
Thanks for all the advise.... If I change out the pump... What flow rate and pressure should I look for? And will post pics. Even if I change out the pump... I'll crack open the filter and post pics.

thanks again... Will keep you posted..

JohnK

Old 12-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Squatch71
New User
Any thoughts on the flow rate?

Old 12-14-2015, 01:33 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These specs are from my 1967 manual. Yours are probably the same:

Fuel pressure spec is 4.5-6.5 psi.
Flow at 500 rpm is 1 pint every 20-30 seconds.
The mechanical pumps are self-regulated. We just put a new one on and forget about all the above numbers.

Semper Fi

Old 12-14-2015, 02:11 PM
yetiman38237
Elder User
Also, check the rubber line from the tank to the hard line.....should be under the vehicle right under where the gas tank sides on driver side. That line can get soft or develop pin holes that will drive you crazy......

Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Squatch71
New User
Thanks Cougar.. have picked one out at rock auto and is coming, 40 gph and 5-8 psi... just wasn't sure with this new holly carb that it would be big enough

Yeti, I started there with the draining of the tank and bypassing the tank selector switch.

My brother changed the tubing below and the fuel pump about 3-4 years ago... but other sisters did not drive like they were telling mom....soooo, our guess is that two things happened.... I plugged the filter with all the crap ( I will remove and post pics) and the other is it sat for so long that the diaphragm went TU... I will post pics of that as well, if I can get it apart nicely........

old man winter hit this week... so no working on the ole gal.

Quick Reply: 1971 F250 fuel pump