1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single to Dually Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:24 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Austinnbole
Thank you, I really want a Dually just because it looks dope as hell. And all I want is to have stock Dually rims on the inner and my after markets on the outer.

I have a dually. To tell you the truth it's a pita at times. If you want a dually then buy a dually kit and make it a dually using the correct spacers and wheels. Sell your wheel and tires to make some money back.

I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel. Without custom made spacers (probably 6-7 inch wide) you'll never get duallys on that truck using those wheels. It's gonna look very funny too imo

Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Austinnbole
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001F350dualwheel
I have a dually. To tell you the truth it's a pita at times. If you want a dually then buy a dually kit and make it a dually using the correct spacers and wheels. Sell your wheel and tires to make some money back.

I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel. Without custom made spacers (probably 6-7 inch wide) you'll never get duallys on that truck using those wheels. It's gonna look very funny too imo
I really want to have the black after market rims with 35in tires but make it a dually. This is kind of what I'm going for:

Old 12-11-2015, 11:43 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah I understand what you want. It's just not gonna happen without some huge spacers. I would never do what you are trying to do

Old 12-12-2015, 12:44 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you seem to be missing is that the dually rims are shaped TOTALLY differently than the rims currently on your truck. Look at the profile of a Ford factory DRW rim and you'll see exactly how they make it work. You simply cannot achieve that look with the rims that are currently on your truck. They aren't dually rims, it won't work.

A SRW to DRW conversion is a relatively involved process; there's MUCH more to do than simply "bolt on two more rims". The axles are different, the hubs are different, the rims are different, that's just how it is. You can't achieve the look you've shown here with the rims you currently own.

Also, in my opinion, I wouldn't trust any hokey aftermarket hub adapter to turn my SRW into a DRW. It's factory, or nothing.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-12-2015, 01:37 AM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Your best bet is to find someone to swap axles wheels and tires with. For a true dually swap. Plenty of dually guys want to go single wheel. Otherwise it's a Arrowcraft kit.
What you're looking to do is very off the wall

Old 12-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
What you seem to be missing is that the dually rims are shaped TOTALLY differently than the rims currently on your truck. Look at the profile of a Ford factory DRW rim and you'll see exactly how they make it work. You simply cannot achieve that look with the rims that are currently on your truck. They aren't dually rims, it won't work.

A SRW to DRW conversion is a relatively involved process; there's MUCH more to do than simply "bolt on two more rims". The axles are different, the hubs are different, the rims are different, that's just how it is. You can't achieve the look you've shown here with the rims you currently own.

Also, in my opinion, I wouldn't trust any hokey aftermarket hub adapter to turn my SRW into a DRW. It's factory, or nothing.
Alright so I need to go buy Dually wheels, and in doing that how would I get them to bolt onto the axle? Obviously I know I need an adapter, but is arrowcraft a reliable supplier?
And do they make Dually wheels wide enough to handle my 35s?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:28 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Yes, you will either need adapters for both the front and rear axles, or you will need factory front and rear dually axles. As I've already said, I would never trust any type of aftermarket adapter. Factory is the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Thus, I do not know about the quality of Arrowcraft's products; I would not trust it.

I have no idea how wide your tires are, but you've provided pictures that show trucks with at least 35" tires on them. Thus, I would imagine that there are DRW rims out there that will fit your existing tires. It would be very simple to find out; the Internet has more information on every possible subject than you could ever want to learn.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:36 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with dual wheels the inners and outers are the same design just facing opposite directions.

You also may have issues with just getting a dual wheel axle as the brake systems are different. Then there is the prop shaft and the spring perches...

To convert a SRW to a DRW you essentially will disassemble the DRW in one spot and rebuild it in another.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Austinnbole
New User
Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
Yes, you will either need adapters for both the front and rear axles, or you will need factory front and rear dually axles. As I've already said, I would never trust any type of aftermarket adapter. Factory is the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Thus, I do not know about the quality of Arrowcraft's products; I would not trust it.

I have no idea how wide your tires are, but you've provided pictures that show trucks with at least 35" tires on them. Thus, I would imagine that there are DRW rims out there that will fit your existing tires. It would be very simple to find out; the Internet has more information on every possible subject than you could ever want to learn.
Alright cool, well thank you everyone for the input. I found a front end totaled f350 Dually at a junkyard so I'm thinking about just buying those axles and taking my toolbox out there and seeing if I can make it work. My buddies and I are mechanics in the Marine Corps so I'm planning on taking them and see if we can figure it out.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Austinnbole
Alright cool, well thank you everyone for the input. I found a front end totaled f350 Dually at a junkyard so I'm thinking about just buying those axles and taking my toolbox out there and seeing if I can make it work. My buddies and I are mechanics in the Marine Corps so I'm planning on taking them and see if we can figure it out.

Make sure the spring pads are the same like yours as far as width. so measure your axle from spring pad to spring pad. Then compare with donor truck

That's your best bet man. I would pop the covers and check out the gear oil or lack of and ring and pinion gear for broken teeth, abnormal wear or metal chunks before you yank them out. If they look good grab them and put them in your truck. You'll need to bleed your brakes and you'll need gear oil anyway. If the wheels are there then that's just a nice bonus. See if you can grab the fenders too.

Easiest way to get the axles off is disconnect the pitman arm, cut the rubber break lines and unbolt shocks then just cut off the Ubolts with a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel. You're not supposed to reuse the bolts and would want new ones anyway.

Your current axles may be sought by people who want to single wheel their trucks or they broke a axle. Maybe someone wants to straight axle or upgrade their D30/D35/D44 to D60/Sterling. So you should be able to get some money in that. Plus selling your current wheels and tires

Old 12-13-2015, 01:21 AM
bocomojoe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Austinnbole, for duel conversions try this web site for information, parts, and ideas that might help you.

Arrowcraft (www.arrowcraft.com). Their phone number is 248-280-0210

I did the duel conversion on a F-250, it worked very well and it was not very difficult to do...but I would not do it again.

A few things to consider, a dually will hydroplane more easily than a single. If you have to replace one of the duel tires with a new tire you should replace the other good tire and it is best to replace all 4. (It is important that both tires on a set of duels have the same circumference) The only tire rotation you can do is side to side, what is on the front stays on the front and what is on the back stays on the back, BTW your steer tires need not match the rear tires. It is difficult to detect a low tire, so you need to at least "thump" your duels often to make sure the air pressure is ok in both tires...an inside flat is a bitch to fix. And duels will not improve the ride quality.

For info about your specific truck you will need to call Arrowcraft. good luck

Last edited by bocomojoe; 12-13-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2001F350dualwheel
I have a dually. To tell you the truth it's a pita at times.
I have to agree, while my F250 was getting the transmission rebuilt i borrowed my friends f350 dually. I hated driving it, HATED it, and before that i had always wanted a dually. Never ever ever will i own a dually. Pita to park, pita to back out after parking, pita in a drive thru either fast food or bank. Pita in narrow construction zone, pita at crowded gas pumps, pita in rain.....i could keep going lol. I get that there is a functional purpose of the dually, but if you want it just for the looks, you should probably drive one for a week or two first. It was the most unpleassnt vehicle ive ever driven.i was so glad to get my F250 back.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:39 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Btw, I think your truck looks awesome the way it is.....dont fix what isn't broken

Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
I have to agree, while my F250 was getting the transmission rebuilt i borrowed my friends f350 dually. I hated driving it, HATED it, and before that i had always wanted a dually. Never ever ever will i own a dually. Pita to park, pita to back out after parking, pita in a drive thru either fast food or bank. Pita in narrow construction zone, pita at crowded gas pumps, pita in rain.....i could keep going lol. I get that there is a functional purpose of the dually, but if you want it just for the looks, you should probably drive one for a week or two first. It was the most unpleassnt vehicle ive ever driven.i was so glad to get my F250 back.

Lol yeah mine isn't a daily driver. I only bought it for long trips and towing a future 5th trailer we plan in buying.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
I'm getting very serious about this. I found I can get the dually fenders and everything I need for the bed from LMC for a reasonable price and OE steel dually wheels for $70 each. What I'm still not sure on is the front hubs and rotors. From what I see on RockAuto the front on 2wd dually trucks uses the same old school giant rotor to run the dually wheels, that's easy. The calipers, and bearings and everything else look to be the same from SRW to DRW. My question lies in the spindle itself. Is the SRW spindle the same length as the DRW spindle on the 2wd trucks, do they use the same steering knuckle? (I would like to add that I have had dually trucks in the past and want the duals for stability when towing in the mountains.)

Quick Reply: Single to Dually Conversion